Suggestion on a Nice Restaurant in the WNY area

zevo

My 2 shekels...

Left Bank is great - intimate, great food, but certainly no secret. I met some friends there for drinks after a BPO concert, and Andre Watts, Joanne Falletta, and an entourage of a dozen or so came thru the door about 40 minutes after I got there. Everyone in town knows and loves the place - if you're planning a weekend dinner, reservations are tough.

Ditto with Hutches - great food but expensive, crowded, tables are too close, and the ugly zebra-pattern carpet is starting to smell a bit musty.

Don't know if you're aware that Russ Salvatore has a new place that is VERY nice...

Russell's

(Russ started deeding ownership of the old place to his son Joe and, when Joe finally had a controlling interest, Russ got pushed out. In the ultimate version of 'Family Feud', Russ acquired a large parcel of land just down the road and built a new hotel and restaurant - much more subdued and elegant than the tacky 'World's Largest Supper Club'/banquet factory at Genesee & Transit.)

Someone already mentioned

David's Grille

in Orchard Park, so I'll just concur that very nice, relaxed, with great food.

If the Southtowns is your destination, one of my favorites is

Root Five

in Hamburg. (Owner's name is Dave Root, restaurant on Route 5 right on the lakefront.) Excellent food, several rooms inside with varying degrees of intimacy, or huge outdoor bar/patio overlooking Lake Erie with unsurpassed view of the sunset.

Now if you want the city, there's

Templeton Landing

or

Harry's Harbourside Grille

Templeton Landing is in the marina at the site of the old Crawdaddy's, Harry's is further up the river off Niagara Street and a bit nicer.

But my own recommendation, if you want to really treat the wife, would be

Rue Franklin

(Franklin St. near corner of Tupper). Definitely need reservations, as the place is very intimate - only 16 tables, I think. After dinner, you could go turn left out the door and have an after dinner digestif at Laughlin's (same owner as the Chop House), or turn right and take it down several notches at the Tudor Lounge.

Enjoy!

Edited by The Senator

I had a great meal at Seabar a few weeks ago Seabar

Besides sushi, I had "Bourdain's last meal" and the 40-hour short ribs--as tender as foie gras!

You won't go wrong at any of these: Left Bank (is truly no longer a secret), Lombardo's, Hutch's, Tempo.

As for a little "secret" place, Europa Bistro on Elmwood near Toro does some wild stuff.

Edited by TPS

Couldn't disagree more. I think it's a fabulous restaurant. To each their own I guess.

Well, it's certainly possible that I and the 2 folks I dined with all got unusually bad meals, as the place does get good reviews, but I'd never dine there again or recommend it (the potato pancakes and migos stew absolutely suck out loud). And, if I'm trying to find someplace nice, someplace special for my wife's 30th birthday, I'd probably avoid a place that serves wild boar meatball bombers. :sick:

Edited by The Senator

All excellent suggestions, except maybe Applebees Jack :devil: If you don't mind corporate chains, you might like to check out The Melting Pot in the Galleria. Wife and I go there for our anniversery and the food is really good and they have a more private area for couples.

I never tell people about Mulberry, because it's too good to be true. :beer:

(and, the fewer that know, the better ;) )

He's not kidding, he's never even told me about the place.

If you happen to be anywhere near Niagara Falls, I recommend Fortuna's. Not fancy, but excellent food and service (usually). Full disclosure, the owner Joe Fortuna, is a friend of mine. But I wouldn't recommend it if the food wasn't very good.