25 things chefs never tell you

erynthered

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have worked in kitchens for 26 years and agree with everything on the list except I don't eat fast food and I don't want my own TV show. Uni (sea urchin) is pretty much the only food I don't care for. Cool texture, but very strong flavored- not for me. I still order it all the time though. Other then that that list is pretty spot on

And we hate picky eaters. Nothing like capers in a beurre noir sauce and a customers says they don't want butter, could they get olive oil, and instead of capers, could they get parsely, etc. We ridicule those people in the kitchen. If they only heard what was being said about them. Chefs put a lot of thought putting flavors together that work well. When someone changes a couple elements, it is a completely different dish. Leave the cooking and the creativity to the chef. Or eat somewhere else

Then you get the yahoos who order yellowfin well done. Man I could go on and on

Edited by Pete

I have worked in kitchens for 26 years and agree with everything on the list except I don't eat fast food and I don't want my own TV show. Uni (sea urchin) is pretty much the only food I don't care for. Cool texture, but very strong flavored- not for me. I still order it all the time though. Other then that that list is pretty spot on

And we hate picky eaters. Nothing like capers in a beurre noir sauce and a customers says they don't want butter, could they get olive oil, and instead of capers, could they get parsely, etc. We ridicule those people in the kitchen. If they only heard what was being said about them. Chefs put a lot of thought putting flavors together that work well. When someone changes a couple elements, it is a completely different dish. Leave the cooking and the creativity to the chef. Or eat somewhere else

Then you get the yahoos who order yellowfin well done. Man I could go on and on

Have you seen The Slammin' Salmon movie yet?

No, is it good? I never heard of it, and will add it to my Netflix que

Its a comedy about a resturant in Miami. Ving Rymes is the owner. He's a former Heaavy weight Boxing champ. Its got some funny parts for sure. B movie, kinda campy. But some of the resturant stuff brought back memmoies.

Its a comedy about a resturant in Miami. Ving Rymes is the owner. He's a former Heaavy weight Boxing champ. Its got some funny parts for sure. B movie, kinda campy. But some of the resturant stuff brought back memmoies.

It's actually Michael Clarke Duncan. Agreed though, definitely a B Movie but funny at times. I'm a sucker for movies by The Broken Lizard (Super Troopers, Club Dread, etc.).

I once "refried" chicken wings after 10 orders spilled in the back seat floor of my buddy's Pontiac T1000 and many fell into the gravel parking lot. No complaints.

Never spit in anyone's food but once when someone twice sent wings back for being "too hot" (they ordered medium), I dumped an entire bottle of Tabasco into a bucket with the butter and sent the wings back out so hot that anyone within 10 feet would have watery eyes. The customer demanded a refund but I didn't give a ****. If you don't want chicken wings to be hot, order fried chicken you little B word.

Edited by Peace

I once "refried" chicken wings after 10 orders spilled in the back seat floor of my buddy's Pontiac T1000 and many fell into the gravel parking lot. No complaints.

Never spit in anyone's food but once when someone twice sent wings back for being "too hot" (they ordered medium), I dumped an entire bottle of Tabasco into a bucket with the butter and sent the wings back out so hot that anyone within 10 feet would have watery eyes. The customer demanded a refund but I didn't give a ****. If you don't want chicken wings to be hot, order fried chicken you little B word.

:worthy:

We were in the Dark Horse in Cortland one time about 20 years ago and taunted the chef that he couldn't make the wings too hot for us. Big mistake. :lol:

Fortunately the beer was cheap because we drink a lot of it eating those wings!

I gotta say man, I hate that attitude. I've worked my fair share of crappy customer service jobs and I've worked with some people like you, who just hate the customers. Yeah, some of them are asshats but your job is to make them happy so long as they're not being completely unreasonable. Expecting medium wings when you order medium wings isn't unreasonable, and there's no excuse for lashing out like that. Sure, everybody makes mistakes, but you seem quite proud of this one.

I gotta say man, I hate that attitude. I've worked my fair share of crappy customer service jobs and I've worked with some people like you, who just hate the customers. Yeah, some of them are asshats but your job is to make them happy so long as they're not being completely unreasonable. Expecting medium wings when you order medium wings isn't unreasonable, and there's no excuse for lashing out like that. Sure, everybody makes mistakes, but you seem quite proud of this one.

Oh off the high horse. I made medium wings for a thousand customers that Summer. On rare occasion, someone wanted one with less heat and I made it.

This particular douche sent it back once and I made a fresh batch mild. That was still too hot for this p***y so I let him know he needed to "nut up" if he was going to order wings by sending out the inferno.

A good lesson is: When you go into a wing shack, don't dick with the minimum wage chef. You will lose every time.

Edited by Peace

Oh off the high horse. I made medium wings for a thousand customers that Summer. On rare occasion, someone wanted one with less heat and I made it.

This particular douche sent it back once and I made a fresh batch mild. That was still too hot for this kitty so I let him know he needed to "nut up" if he was going to order wings by sending out the inferno.

A good lesson is: When you go into a wing shack, don't dick with the minimum wage chef. You will lose every time.

Hey, all I'm saying is that people can be annoying at times...it's still better to take the high road. Sorry if it seemed like I was judging you, I might've phrased myself too harshly, but I'm perturbed by people who can't maintain professionalism.

Hey, all I'm saying is that people can be annoying at times...it's still better to take the high road. Sorry if it seemed like I was judging you, I might've phrased myself too harshly, but I'm perturbed by people who can't maintain professionalism.

I offer you this sincere apology: I am sorry that when I was a 17 year old chef in a hoagie joint, I stuck it to a pansy who wanted sissy wings.

I offer you this sincere apology: I am sorry that when I was a 17 year old chef in a hoagie joint, I stuck it to a pansy who wanted sissy wings.

I get it bud, no need to get all sardonic on me. I wasn't expecting contrition or anything, I just wanted to point out that I've worked with people who relish in "getting revenge" on annoying customers and it's always bothered me.

I get it bud, no need to get all sardonic on me. I wasn't expecting contrition or anything, I just wanted to point out that I've worked with people who relish in "getting revenge" on annoying customers and it's always bothered me.

This is all lighthearted banter. Any sardonic tone is more directed at the guy who couldn't handle mild wings than you.

:worthy:

We were in the Dark Horse in Cortland one time about 20 years ago and taunted the chef that he couldn't make the wings too hot for us. Big mistake. :lol:

Fortunately the beer was cheap because we drink a lot of it eating those wings!

I have accepted the challenge of making hot wings many times and always prevailed. Many times there is a tough guy who insists hot food doesnt effect them. They take a bite, try and act cool, sweat builds, eyes water, then they run to chug some milk. It is always fun to watch the facade of them acting like it doesn't hurt, before they can't take it any more. As my friend once put it, "you don't tug on Supermans cape, and you don't !@#$ with Pete's hot sauces"

Edited by Pete