Koran (Quran) burning and my evil side

I know it's wrong for me to be thinking like this but the curious evil side of me would like to see the backwater church in FL burn the Quran. It would answer a few questions I often thought about which are:

1) Just how free are we to engage in lawful actions if said actions may threaten the security of the country. Will the gov't stop this, what comes out on top, individual liberties or state security?

2) How big will the Islamic reaction be. Will the reaction be localized to the 3rd world counties with little more than Muslims burning down their own villages or will Muslims in westernized counties take to

streets with violence?

3) Will more Americans die because Muslims decide to become killers or will the Muslims who are killers just continue to kill more Americans?

4) Will outraged terrorist groups move up their time tables for attack and in doing so make more mistakes or take their time and double their efforts?

Edited by whateverdude

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whateverdude,

I have to agree (I'm not going to say what side of this issue I stand on yet, if I think it's right or wrong) but I am very curious to how this plays out.

I know if a group wanted to burn a bible they would be protected by the ACLU and whoever else that would protect that fringe groups "rights" to burn a bible... but I'm curious to see if this church goes through with it what the reaction is, does the muslim "religon of peace" retaliate with violence, does this FL church have the same freedom of religon/speech that other groups have? does the government step in? do civil rights leaders side with the church's freedoms or side against the church?

Wait...I thought it was a "small minority" of Moslems who dont practice Islam as the "tolerant Religion of Peace."

Whats everyone so worried about??

The fact that so many people, including many in Goverment, are "afraid" of what this action might do, proves ALL you need to know about Islam.

But hey....small minority.

They should just throw the picture of the Virgin Mother that had **** smeared on it and an American Flag into the bonfire and all the libtards and moslems will then think this isnt a big deal.

Edited by RkFast

I know it's wrong for me to be thinking like this but the curious evil side of me would like to see the backwater church in FL burn the Quran. It would answer a few questions I often thought about which are:

1) Just how free are we to engage in lawful actions if said actions may threaten the security of the country. Will the gov't stop this, what comes out on top, individual liberties or state security?

2) How big will the Islamic reaction be. Will the reaction be localized to the 3rd world counties with little more than Muslims burning down their own villages or will Muslims in westernized counties take to

streets with violence?

3) Will more Americans die because Muslims decide to become killers or will the Muslims who are killers just continue to kill more Americans?

4) Will outraged terrorist groups move up their time tables for attack and in doing so make more mistakes or take their time and double their efforts?

While I personally think it is stupid to burn the Koran I wonder also why it makes it more dangerous for our troops. Is it going to turn peaceful muslims against them? Will it keep the jihadists from liking them?

Wait...I thought it was a "small minority" of Moslems who dont practice Islam as the "tolerant Religion of Peace."

The fact that so many people, including many in Goverment, are "afraid" of what this action might do, proves ALL you need to know about Islam.

They should just throw the picture of the Virgin Mother that had **** smeared on it and an American Flag into the bonfire and all the libtards and moslems will then think this isnt a big deal.

i know, as the old saying goes "when the shoe is on the other foot...."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Imagine for a moment that there is no god, and then (within that context) realize how absolutely !@#$ing stupid and meaningless this all is.

What can I say? It gets cold in Florida once in a while.

Imagine for a moment that there is no god, and then (within that context) realize how absolutely !@#$ing stupid and meaningless this all is.

Admittedly, I'm not one for getting into discussions about religion, but this is a pretty lazy statement. The only people who would have to "imagine for a moment that there is no god" are the people who believe that God exists. To many people, believing in God brings meaning and order to their lives. Asking them to imagine that God doesn't exist is asking them to believe that everything must be stupid and meaningless, not just this issue.

On the other hand, you probably know that and were just using this opportunity to mock people who believe in God because you have nothing better to do. Which is not just lazy, but stupid and meaningless in its own right.

Admittedly, I'm not one for getting into discussions about religion, but this is a pretty lazy statement. The only people who would have to "imagine for a moment that there is no god" are the people who believe that God exists. To many people, believing in God brings meaning and order to their lives. Asking them to imagine that God doesn't exist is asking them to believe that everything must be stupid and meaningless, not just this issue.

On the other hand, you probably know that and were just using this opportunity to mock people who believe in God because you have nothing better to do. Which is not just lazy, but stupid and meaningless in its own right.

Fine.

Imagine there's no Flying Spaghetti Monster, and then (within that context) realize how absolutely !@#$ing stupid and meaningless this all is.

I'm not mocking anyone with that post. Seriously, take god out of the equation and think about how retarded this whole sequence of events is. Without god there is no Koran burning, no debate about the "Mosque" in NYC and most likely no 9-11 in the first place. Of course, that only scratches the surface.

Would I be mocking the atheists if I asked them to "imagine for a moment that there is a god"?

Perhaps people might consider that life might actually have meaning and value outside of a religious context. There are many immoral, unfulfilled religious people and many moral, fulfilled non-religious people. Religion has little to do with it.

Perhaps people might consider that life might actually have meaning and value outside of a religious context.

I happen to be one of those people who believes life has meaning and value outside of a religious context, but it's always within the context of beer and football.

But I digress...

I happen to be one of those people who believes life has meaning and value outside of a religious context, but it's always within the context of beer and football.

But I digress...

You say the "beer and football" bit like it's a bad thing. :unsure:

:D

But I digress...

We can agree on that. If you think about it, sports fandom isn't that much different than religion for a lot of people. For me, the Bills and Sabres are very much false idols. I would feel a lot more guilty about missing a Bills game than I ever did about missing church on Sunday.

Well, then imagine there's no beer and football, and then (within that context) realize how absolutely !@#$ing stupid and meaningless this all is.

Edited by DC Tom

Well it’s obvious it’s not stupid and meaningless when we know people will take another’s life over it. Unless, the life taken is stupid and meaningless in which case we would have to place a value on life in order to determine if it is stupid and meaningless which in itself is stupid and meaningless and at some point meaningless becomes meaningless and this is just plan stupid!

To try to bring this back to OP topic my guess on how many Muslims we be brought to a aggressive negative reaction by this Koran burning is about one in every 100,000 or about 14,000 total- this is just a guess of course so I propose this experiment, have people dress as Dolphin fans come to the Ralph and burn Bills paraphernalia to judge how moderates would react and go to Oakland and do the same to Raider fans to judge how more violent fundamentalist sects would react.

Well, then imagine there's no beer and football, and then (within that context) realize how absolutely !@#$ing stupid and meaningless this all is.

This situation is not much different than the value of the cash that you may be holding in your wallet. What makes a dollar worth a dollar? It is simply that you and the rest of us place a value on that simple piece of paper - otherwise it is worthless. Icons like the Koran are not much different. A billion or so people have assigned great value to the book and it is largely significant to them. The balance of the human population says the book is not as valuable and possibly even worthless.

Therefore, to a billion or so people burning the book is not a meaningless act.It is also not a meaningless act to the men and women serving in Afghanistan. Lost in this thread is the fact that people may be killed because some idiot elects to express his thoughts about Islam by burning the book. As I said in another thread, I have no issue with his right to do this. I have a huge problem with his choice to do this.

In effect he is saying my option to burn the book is more important than the safety of American men and women who serve this country every day. He has media attention, a rational choice would be to say "I value the lives of American more than I value my right to burn this book."

Edited by BuffaloBill