Wondering about Levi Brown

Ennjay

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do you explain finding a David Nelson is our scouts are so inept?

PTR

David Nelson hasn't played a down in the NFL regular season yet. So what about David Nelson? Sure he looked decent against 2nd and 3rd string defenders. I fail to see your point.

You know, I'm going to stop responding to your posts. Why don't you do the same thing with my posts, it's just getting tiresome. I get it PTR, the Front Office can do no wrong. You're on record. Please let me be.

Maybe it's because you can't respond to my challenges to your twisted logic. If your arguments are so weak that I can poke holes in them then maybe you should rethink what you post. You can't point to guys who flop as proof of our Front Office being inept then completely ignore the successes. If anything it shows how little you understand about the game of football, which is really not a surprise at all.

PTR

David Nelson hasn't played a down in the NFL regular season yet. So what about David Nelson? Sure he looked decent against 2nd and 3rd string defenders. I fail to see your point.

Neither has CJ Spiller. Are you calling him a dud?

PTR

Maybe it's because you can't respond to my challenges to your twisted logic. If your arguments are so weak that I can poke holes in them then maybe you should rethink what you post. You can't point to guys who flop as proof of our Front Office being inept then completely ignore the successes. If anything it shows how little you understand about the game of football, which is really not a surprise at all.

PTR

PTR

Did i say Spiller was a dud? None of these guys have stepped on the field during an NFL reg. season game so to infer that the Bills scouts have hit gold with Nelson is ignorant. And yes you're inferring that we hit gold with Nelson.

Again i fail to see your point in reference to Spiller.

You know, I'm going to stop responding to your posts. Why don't you do the same thing with my posts, it's just getting tiresome. I get it PTR, the Front Office can do no wrong. You're on record. Please let me be.

I think what he's saying though, is that, if you're going to fault our scouting department, etc. the best example probably isn't Levi Brown.

As other have stated, he's a 7th round pick. I liked him too initially, but I think it was because he was the only thing new to a group of QB's that I had little or no respect for. In the end, it looks like Gailey decided Edwards is actually not completely shot after all.

Gailey can't be spending time developing 3 quarterbacks at once. If Levi came in and just beat the world out there, maybe we'd be having a different conversation, but because he didn't (and he wasn't exactly drafted to), we cut him.

Blaming the scouting department or Chan Gailey is rather silly.

PTR

PTR

Right. Ok. You've drawn me out again with your ridiculous homerism. The fact that the FO may have found a few good UDFAs is great. Does it excuse all of their other failures? How about finding an NFL-caliber QB or a decent offensive line? That's too much to ask PTR? Because they hit on UDFAs it excuses their misses on draft picks? Excuse me, but you're the idiot, defending every single move this failure of an organization makes, and consistently attacking everyone who questions it. You're a moron, and a homer, and by far the most annoying poster on this Board. You know NOTHING about football, and you're not even consistent in your abject fanboyness - after Week 1 of the preseason, you started a thread apologizing for your ridiculous behavior, which you've since resumed. Now, if you would please, go back about your business and return to your role as Official OBD Fluffer, and kindly leave me alone.

Did i say Spiller was a dud? None of these guys have stepped on the field during an NFL reg. season game so to infer that the Bills scouts have hit gold with Nelson is ignorant. And yes you're inferring that we hit gold with Nelson.

Again i fail to see your point in reference to Spiller.

You can't argue it both ways. If the Bills scouting staff was wrong to draft Levi Brown because he failed to make the team, they aren't wrong for signing a UDFA that made the team as well.

Is that you Coach Tuesday? Did you create another screen name so it would look like someone agrees with you?

PTR

I think what he's saying though, is that, if you're going to fault our scouting department, etc. the best example probably isn't Levi Brown.

As other have stated, he's a 7th round pick. I liked him too initially, but I think it was because he was the only thing new to a group of QB's that I had little or no respect for. In the end, it looks like Gailey decided Edwards is actually not completely shot after all.

Gailey can't be spending time developing 3 quarterbacks at once. If Levi came in and just beat the world out there, maybe we'd be having a different conversation, but because he didn't (and he wasn't exactly drafted to), we cut him.

Blaming the scouting department or Chan Gailey is rather silly.

I will put fault on our scouting department. How can you not? For every Jason Peters and a Jabari Greer we've "found," there's a Leodis McKelvin, JP Losman, John McCargo, Roscoe Parrish, James Hardy, a Mike Williams, an Erik Flowers, a Marshawn Lynch, an Aaron Maybin. Sure this is a completely different front office now, but our scouting and drafting has been piss poor over the last couple years. Finding a couple free agent rookies does NOT make up for paying big bucks for first round busts who can't hack it in this league.

Brohm is one year older than Levi Brown.

It is definitely possible that the "developmental QB" position was a two person competition from the beginning. If so, that was asking a lot of Brown, to come in and be more polished than someone who had been in the League for awhile. But it's possible.

Brown is a slow kid with a poor throwing motion who showed up for his big break totally out of shape and unprepared to take advantage of a golden opportunity.

Is any of that true? Where did you get that info? I've never heard that he showed up "totally out of shape" and "unprepared." What's the source there?

You can't argue it both ways. If the Bills scouting staff was wrong to draft Levi Brown because he failed to make the team, they aren't wrong for signing a UDFA that made the team as well.

Is that you Coach Tuesday? Did you create another screen name so it would look like someone agrees with you?

PTR

First of all WTF is coach tuesday? This has been my handle and my alias in all the other Bills forum I've been on. 2nd, you justified the scouting dept's competence by bringing in Nelson. You said "what about Nelson." So what about him? Just because he made this team, you think the scouting dept did their job in finding the "next Marques Colston or Wayne Chrebet?"

I already know they messed up with Brown. You don't have to tell me this. Lucky for us, it wasn't another expensive mistake.

Right. Ok. You've drawn me out again with your ridiculous homerism. The fact that the FO may have found a few good UDFAs is great. Does it excuse all of their other failures? How about finding an NFL-caliber QB or a decent offensive line? That's too much to ask PTR? Because they hit on UDFAs it excuses their misses on draft picks? Excuse me, but you're the idiot, defending every single move this failure of an organization makes, and consistently attacking everyone who questions it. You're a moron, and a homer, and by far the most annoying poster on this Board. You know NOTHING about football, and you're not even consistent in your abject fanboyness - after Week 1 of the preseason, you started a thread apologizing for your ridiculous behavior, which you've since resumed. Now, if you would please, go back about your business and return to your role as Official OBD Fluffer, and kindly leave me alone.

1) All teams have failures. 2) This is year one of the Buddy Nix regime so bitching about what happened before is pointless. 3) You wouldn't know an NFL-Caliber QB is one bit you on your rear. It's not like the streets are crawling with them. And besides Nix did try to trade for McNabb and he didn't want to come here. What is he supposed to do? Kidnap him?

Coach you are the definition of a board troll. Your job is to piss on every parade you see. Nothing is good enough. Nothing happens fast enough. If the Bills find 4-5 good players, you B word that we didn't get 7-8. Why the heck are you even here if this team offends you so? Oh, I know...because you are a TROLL.

PTR

1) All teams have failures. 2) This is year one of the Buddy Nix regime so bitching about what happened before is pointless. 3) You wouldn't know an NFL-Caliber QB is one bit you on your rear. It's not like the streets are crawling with them. And besides Nix did try to trade for McNabb and he didn't want to come here. What is he supposed to do? Kidnap him?

Coach you are the definition of a board troll. Your job is to piss on every parade you see. Nothing is good enough. Nothing happens fast enough. If the Bills find 4-5 good players, you B word that we didn't get 7-8. Why the heck are you even here if this team offends you so? Oh, I know...because you are a TROLL.

PTR

You know, I've politely asked you to stop shadowing me around this Board. I'm going to ask you one more time. Consider it.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I can't believe I actually (sort of) apologized to you in another thread; I should have known better. It's clear that while you "get off" on calling out those you feel are overly optimistic, you are just as guilty at the opposite end of the spectrum. All PTR is saying (I think) is that you can't have it both ways. If you're going to criticize the bad decisions, then in order to maintain credibility you have to recognize the good decisions. If you don't, you're just as useless as the unabashed "homers" you yearn to critique and debase.

A perfect example is your statement about "finding an NFL-caliber QB" -- it's both arrogant and ignorant at the same time. And since I already know how your logic works, let me remind you that exposing your statement as ridiculous is not the same thing as predicting Edwards will light the league on fire.

I don't get it. They scouted the guy in college, drafted him, said after the draft that he was the QB who they were taregeting, and then worked with him all through preseason and training camp (and praised his development). Pretty harsh to conclude after his first, brief, live NFL action that he's not worth developing for the future. It sure seems like either the scouts messed up or the coaches messed up.

Or Brian Brohm looked good enough to be their developmental QB, which is surely what they were hoping.

That's the answer. Both are young QBs and Brohm looked much better, with a bigger upside, than Brohm during preseason.

I think it was the perfect storm that kept Brown off the team and PS. Trent performed much better than expected. Fitz, the backup with a lot of experience, doesn't look quite right on the field but gets the job done. And Brohm is the young guy bucking to be the next starting QB.

If you're looking for three guys, you bring in four or more. Brown was NECESSARY by that standard. He performed decently, just not good enough.

It is definitely possible that the "developmental QB" position was a two person competition from the beginning. If so, that was asking a lot of Brown, to come in and be more polished than someone who had been in the League for awhile. But it's possible.

True. It is asking a lot of Brown. But when you draft a guy in the 7th round, when every other team passed him up 6 times, you're taking a flyer and everyone including Nix and Gailey knows it. Plus he played at a small school. The fact is, Gailey (and to some extent Nix) were new to the team. They didn't really know what they had in ANY player, veteran or drafted or free agent. Under normal circumstances new coaches coming in wouldn't know, but IMO it was exponential for them because of the pitiful coaching we had before.

I have nothing to base this on other than conjecture, but IMO if you asked Gailey which of his four QBs would he want to excel in OTA, training camp and pre-season games, he would have said Brian Brohm, not Trent and not Levi. Because Brohm likely has the highest ceiling. It may not and probably wasnt who he THOUGHT was going to play the best. He likely thought Trent would, and he did. But the best case scenario for the team would be for Brohm to wow them, not Levi.

What happened was, Brohm wowed them just enough. Brown didn't shine as much as they hoped. And it still was likely an agonizing decision for them. But once they made it, Levi really wasn't all that important even for the PS (although I still think he is a candidate) because he would be the #2 developmental guy.

It's also not an indictment of the scouts, or the draft. Fitz or Trent or Brohm easily could have fallen on their face and Brown would have made the team, and you really wouldn't have been questioning the pick. But they all played reasonably well. So, again, it became a difficult choice, and they made it.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I can't believe I actually (sort of) apologized to you in another thread; I should have known better. It's clear that while you "get off" on calling out those you feel are overly optimistic, you are just as guilty at the opposite end of the spectrum. All PTR is saying (I think) is that you can't have it both ways. If you're going to criticize the bad decisions, then in order to maintain credibility you have to recognize the good decisions. If you don't, you're just as useless as the unabashed "homers" you yearn to critique and debase.

A perfect example is your statement about "finding an NFL-caliber QB" -- it's both arrogant and ignorant at the same time. And since I already know how your logic works, let me remind you that exposing your statement as ridiculous is not the same thing as predicting Edwards will light the league on fire.

That is not what PTR is saying. If it were, it would be a valid point. As I said elsewhere in this very thread, I do give them credit for finding UDFAs. That's great, they should be applauded for it. However, they also should be taken to task for botching a pick. But the answer "it's just a 7th round pick, who cares?" is ridiculous - we have 7th round picks starting at LT and WR on this team.

The scouts and FO need to use their draft picks wisely. They've already given up on 2 players from this year's draft. Not even adding them to the PS - just gave up on them completely, it appears. I don't think that gets offset by hitting on a few UDFAs - you should be able to do both.

Look, I'm not saying that the scouts are total garbage - I'm saying it's disappointing that they wasted 2 draft picks. It's a valid point, it's not overly pessimistic, it's not a bash, and it's not a crusade. Frankly, I'm surprised it's even controversial.

Edited by Coach Tuesday