Terry Jones wins the dumb **** award

Beerball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that he has media attention he will only persist. He should be shipped to Afghanistan so he can put his own life in danger. I understand not wanting to be dictated to but there are other means of protest that are not as likely to put soldiers lives at risk unnecessarily.

Hypothetical question:

Which right to free expression is more important...the right to burn a Koran or the right to build a mosque wherever one chooses?

Neither - they are both allowed.

The concern raised in this thread is that lives of service people may be unecessarily put at risk. Jones and crew (keep in mind the idiot only has 50 followers) have other options and forms of protest at their disposal. This whole stunt is nothing more than attention mongering that may result in retribution and death.

I also fault the media for making this into a circus. Had they ignored the event, as it really is not newsworthy, then there are no issues. Keep in mind this "minister" is a fruitcake that can't get more than 50 people to attend his so called church.

Neither - they are both allowed.

The concern raised in this thread is that lives of service people may be unecessarily put at risk. Jones and crew (keep in mind the idiot only has 50 followers) have other options and forms of protest at their disposal. This whole stunt is nothing more than attention mongering that may result in retribution and death.

I also fault the media for making this into a circus. Had they ignored the event, as it really is not newsworthy, then there are no issues. Keep in mind this "minister" is a fruitcake that can't get more than 50 people to attend his so called church.

I agree, for the most part. It's un-necessary agitation. But, I am also for his right to do so.

I agree, for the most part. It's un-necessary agitation. But, I am also for his right to do so.

Agree that he has an absolute right to plan, participate and act on his plans to burn the Koran. What I do disagree with is his willingness to do so even though it may risk the lives of service people. They and their families bear enough burden without this added to the mix.

In some ways this situation is not unlike the "god hates fags" group who elect to protest at the funeral services of fallen soldiers. I acknowledge they have the right to do this. However, I can think of no more despicable way to act. To protest at the expense of families who paid the ultimate price to protect your rights is simply mind boggling to me.

This moron clearly has the right to burn the Koran, that is not in dispute. The question is, why does he want to inflame more US hatred that will put our troops at risk? We get it, you don't like Muslims, go back your distorted form of Christianity in order to try to mask your stupidity just like any other extremist.

This moron clearly has the right to burn the Koran, that is not in dispute. The question is, why does he want to inflame more US hatred that will put our troops at risk? We get it, you don't like Muslims, go back your distorted form of Christianity in order to try to mask your stupidity just like any other extremist.

Really, if building a mosque at ground zero is an expression of our strength as a nation, so should this guy's ability to burn a Koran. The minute we're afraid of what people in the Middle East think and start walking on eggshells, we've lost.

Really, if building a mosque at ground zero is an expression of our strength as a nation, so should this guy's ability to burn a Koran. The minute we're afraid of what people in the Middle East think and start walking on eggshells, we've lost.

I do not see it as walking on eggshells. Rather, I see it as an individual making a responsible choice to change his form of protest. Keep in mind, I have no support for the government stepping in to stop the action - it is his right. However, as a responsible person I would elect to defer to the interests of our military and the families of servicepeople by not creating an environment that creates a problem for them.

Jones has gotten his message out, had his days in the media and then some. Following through on the act only serves to prompt violence.

Agreed. I put in the same category as burning the flag, the bible, the torah or any other symbolic form of speech; as well as the right to build a mosque where properly zoned. In the same vein, this guy and those like him are no better than those who preach hate against Christians, Jews, whites, blacks or anyone who isn't exactly like them.

I just hope he does not burn the Koran for the sake of tamping down the craziness that has inflicted this nation.

I'm curious, do you feel the same way, or are you more "selective."

Ah, hate crimes.

Yeah, that was kind-of tongue-in-cheek. But only kind-of.

But even you have to admit that, although both are allowed freedoms, there's a qualitative difference between building a place of worship and destroying an icon of worship.