beer can chicken...............again

dib

drip pan is the next plan

Dib, you really should use a drip pan below the bird for beer can, and especially ensure you are cooking over indirect heat. Chickens are fatty bittches and will cause flare ups all the time.

Two options: you can get these small throw-away drip pans from Weber like these. Place it under the grate below the bird. I like these because they're smaller than you typically find in the grocery store.

Another option is this roaster from Weber wifey got me a few years ago.

Here's a look of it at work. I like this device because I can use the grease drippings for basting the bird, and quite honestly it just does a better job of keeping the bird upright.

Edited by LABillzFan

This looks like a decent thread to announce the new TBD Cookbook Forum:

http://forums.twobil...cookbook-forum/

I'm slowly working on migrating the recipes from the old Cookbook site into this forum. I'm trying to organize them by putting a tag in the front. Check the pinned topic for a list of current tags. I'm also trying to keep them consistent, as that will make it easier to publish a PDF or print a physical book in the future.

Since it's not a database, we won't have a way to add them to multiple types (ie: "beef" and "appetizers"), but we'll make due. :)

Feel free to contribute or to add comments on recipes already there. I don't see a beer can chicken recipe yet, so feel free to add it once you learn how to not blow yourself up in the process. :lol:

Dib, you really should use a drip pan below the bird for beer can, and especially ensure you are cooking over indirect heat.

That. OR, keep the bird over the fire, ditch the grease pan, and fill that beer can with 151 Rum!

Now we're talking.

This looks like a decent thread to announce the new TBD Cookbook Forum:

http://forums.twobil...cookbook-forum/

I'm slowly working on migrating the recipes from the old Cookbook site into this forum. I'm trying to organize them by putting a tag in the front. Check the pinned topic for a list of current tags. I'm also trying to keep them consistent, as that will make it easier to publish a PDF or print a physical book in the future.

Since it's not a database, we won't have a way to add them to multiple types (ie: "beef" and "appetizers"), but we'll make due. :)

Feel free to contribute or to add comments on recipes already there. I don't see a beer can chicken recipe yet, so feel free to add it once you learn how to not blow yourself up in the process. :lol:

I know of this recipe for fried noodles that could be added to that forum

Kind of a coincidence but we just did one for the first time last weekend. We used a drip pan and cooked for 30mins at 400 degrees. Turned down to 325 and started basting with some home made bbq sauce and the pan drippings. Cooked at this temp for about 90 minutes until the inner part of the chicken was 170 degrees. Came out great!

Was so proud took a pic of it! :D

http://picasaweb.google.com/sevansgm/ThisWeekendPics#5513811806603041138

Edited by Dante

Kind of a coincidence but we just did one for the first time last weekend. We used a drip pan and cooked for 30mins at 400 degrees. Turned down to 325 and started basting with some home made bbq sauce and the pan drippings. Cooked at this temp for about 90 minutes until the inner part of the chicken was 170 degrees. Came out great!

Was so proud took a pic of it! :D

http://picasaweb.goo...811806603041138

Paula Dean's 'Beer-in-the-rear Chicken'.

Really?

:lol:

Use a drip pan. By why waste a good can of beer, when a can of soda, or juice works just as good. Drink the beer, fill the can with anything...I'll leave it up to your imagination.

Are you suggesting the liquid imparts NONE of it's flavor to the chicken, or are you saying you find the various flavors of soda or juice equally appealing? Just curious.

Real stupid question, but are you doing this on a charcoal or a gas grill? I'm a charcoal guy, so I can't help you on the gas grill side of the world.

If you're using charcoal, start with a cheap-o charcoal chimney - best $10.00 you'll ever spend from WalMart. Sink a few while you're waiting for the coals to reach "maturity". Dump 'em on the base, put the grate on the grill, and toss in a 1 cm x 1 cm x 5 cm piece of hickory.

Now comes the tricky part. Make sure you put the chicken to the edge of the grill. In the periphery. In other words, don't put the chicken right on top of the heat. Let it take the "shock" of the heat indirectly. Cover it, for God's sake, and stand by with a glass of water if things start to scream. Give it one glass of wine, and then flip it. Give it another glass of wine. At that point, you can determine whether more cooking is required. More wine is always good, but all bets are off after three glasses. Don't call me if you "F" it up.

But the upshot is that if you drop the chicken right into the middle of the coals...well, it's like an afternoon in Hiroshima, if you catch my drift. Plan accordingly.