So you think Jennings is worth outanding OL $?

I don't. Don't get me wrong, he is part of an O which for three games in a row has turned the corner with pass pro and run blocking for a productive WM. If he is affordable I am glad to have him (particularly after a game ending injury to MW). However, some poster used the words outstanding to describe Jennings, and some folks are pointing to him only (only?) missing 6 games in his 3+ years as evidence that he has gotten a bad rap on the injury issue.

I'm sorry, if Arthur Blank and AT offer him a top 10 OL cap hit and we have to match it to sign him I say adios Jonas. Its too bad, but thems the rules of the economy in this league of ours. Jennings is not worth the 6+ million dollars average annual cap hit of the top 10 OL players (8 of whom were LTs like Jonas) and certainly not the 7+ million average hit of the top 5.

Instead, I think the Bills are better off seeing if one of these options workout for LT:

1. Switch Teague to the LT position he played for Denver which first attracted us to him and we judge Tucker to be ready to be our center.

2. Trey Tucker who originally came to this league as a tackle and has started some MFL games at tackle there if it is too diruptive for Teague to go.

3. Try Price who has been pretty good as a back-up tackle (though he had some struggles today) as a potential starter.

4. Keep working with the very longshot Peters who made the pros as a tackle rather than a TE though I think the team did this to emphasize to him that though he is a great receiver, blocking is going to keep him here.

5. If it turns out that the loads of money folks have thrown at LTs like Clifton, Wade and Petitgout) snd saturation of the market which will include talents like Orlando Pace will mean that there is not the demand to balloon Jennnings wage.

In the end, the Bills only had to pay $2 million for available LT Teague and recent LT signings have been at the $5 million annual cap hit mark.

There should be no need to pay Jenning top teir LT money to get him and if he requires that we should let him go.

How many penalties did he have today around him again sufferering an injury problem which forced us to play Smith at LT but will not show up on the stats sheet as another injury problem with Jennings.

I don't.  Don't get me wrong, he is part of an O which for three games in a row has turned the corner with pass pro and run blocking for a productive WM.  If he is affordable I am glad to have him (particularly after a game ending injury to MW).  However, some poster used the words outstanding to describe Jennings, and some folks are pointing to him only (only?) missing 6 games in his 3+ years as evidence that he has gotten a bad rap on the injury issue. 

I'm sorry, if Arthur Blank and AT offer him a top 10 OL cap hit and we have to match it to sign him I say adios Jonas.  Its too bad, but thems the rules of the economy in this league of ours.  Jennings is not worth the 6+ million dollars average annual cap hit of the top 10 OL players (8 of whom were LTs like Jonas) and certainly not the 7+ million average hit of the top 5.

Instead, I think the Bills are better off seeing if one of these options workout for LT:

1. Switch Teague to the LT position he played for Denver which first attracted us to him and we judge Tucker to be ready to be our center.

2. Trey Tucker who originally came to this league as a tackle and has started some MFL games at tackle there if it is too diruptive for Teague to go.

3. Try Price who has been pretty good as a back-up tackle (though he had some struggles today) as a potential starter.

4. Keep working with the very longshot Peters who made the pros as a tackle rather than a TE though I think the team did this to emphasize to him that though he is a great receiver, blocking is going to keep him here.

5. If it turns out that the loads of money folks have thrown at LTs like Clifton, Wade and Petitgout) snd saturation of the market which will include talents like Orlando Pace will mean that there is not the demand to balloon Jennnings wage.

In the end, the Bills only had to pay $2 million for available LT Teague and recent LT signings have been at the $5 million annual cap hit mark.

There should be no need to pay Jenning top teir LT money to get him and if he requires that we should let him go.

How many penalties did he have today around him again sufferering an injury problem which forced us to play Smith at LT but will not show up on the stats sheet as another injury problem with Jennings.

147541[/snapback]

for right contract would resign him but not at big money he will demand.

We talked about this on a few other threads but no one else seems to care much. Once again, I would match the 6 years/30M/10M signing bonus at the most. If we gotta pay a penny more I take my chances in the draft that Munoz or someone similar falls, then go for a LG or center in the 3rd.

Jonas has possibly the best slide of any OT in the league, his lateral footwork in pass blocking is exceptional. This puts him in a pass-blocking class with few students and would make him a huge asset in a pass-first offense like St. Louis or KC. The other part of his game is his real achilles, he seems to simply be too top-heavy to be a good run blocker in space and he even has some trouble in hand to hand run blocking because he's fairly easy to get under with all that weight on top and proportionately thin calves. The overall package means his value to 4 or 5 teams is huge while that value diminishes for tohers, especially for a team running a play action offense like ours.

If anyone in the league wants to pay him like a top 10 Tackle he should be allowed to go. His skills, and his fit in Buff translate more to maybe top 30 money.

And since I haven't said it before FFS, if it hasn't been clear before today you're analysis of Coy Wire has been 100% on. He's playing more inspired ball on the "Special Forces" and he's become an asset to us, something that seemed "less than imminent" in his role in the Defensive backfield.

One key thing not to forget about JJ is how extremely popular he is in the locker room. When people talk about "Locker room guys" they are talking about JJ. He is a very important influence to keep around on this team.

I'm not saying over pay for him, but he should be priority number one this off season.

Another thing to consider, I have heard JJ say repeatedly that he wants to be a sports agent when his playing days are through. He is VERY smart and will demand the absolute BEST deal possible. He knows the cap better than most GMs and knows what Buffalo can afford and what they cannot. If he only cares about money he is gone. If he wants to stay here, he will have to give a hometown discount. Just food for thought.