Bob Matthews, Matt Leinart, and Short Memories

In the article posted on the front page:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100903/SPORTS0101/9030321/tbd

Matthews gives good reasons why Leinart would not be a good fit for Buffalo. All very convincing. Of course, Bob does not mention that he had been a huge advocate of drafting young Mr. Leinart back in 2006. I guess sportswriters, like cornerbacks, quarterbacks, and baseball closers, need to have a very short memory..... <_<

He then starts the next para with the sentence: "If all goes well for the Bills, Jake Locker of the Washington Huskies will establish himself as clearly the best quarterback in college football this fall, become their top pick in the 2011 college draft, and become the team's first franchise quarterback since Jim Kelly retired."

Locker may indeed turn out to be great, and maybe even for the Bills, but I should think that "if all goes well for the Bills" they would do well enough this year that they would not be in a position to draft that early in the first round. But that's just me.

Matthews gives good reasons why Leinart would not be a good fit for Buffalo. All very convincing. Of course, Bob does not mention that he had been a huge advocate of drafting young Mr. Leinart back in 2006. I guess sportswriters, like cornerbacks, quarterbacks, and baseball closers, need to have a very short memory..... <_<

He then starts the next para with the sentence: "If all goes well for the Bills, Jake Locker of the Washington Huskies will establish himself as clearly the best quarterback in college football this fall, become their top pick in the 2011 college draft, and become the team's first franchise quarterback since Jim Kelly retired."

Locker may indeed turn out to be great, and maybe even for the Bills, but I should think that "if all goes well for the Bills" they would do well enough this year that they would not be in a position to draft that early in the first round. But that's just me.

Then right after he proudly proclaims "if all goes well", which means "if the Bills go 1-15", Jake Locker will be the new Bills QB. You'd think Bob would stay out of the QB rating game since his record of spotting winners is pretty thin.

Anyone who is cheering for the Bills to lose deserves a punch in the throat.

PTR

Then right after he proudly proclaims "if all goes well", which means "if the Bills go 1-15", Jake Locker will be the new Bills QB. You'd think Bob would stay out of the QB rating game since his record of spotting winners is pretty thin.

PTR

With all respect to Mr. Matthews as a veteran.... I certainly concur with your sentiment, Promo. ;)

PTR

Or at least the ear.

PTR

That was such a ridiculous thing to say on Matthews part. When I read that I almost spit out my coffee! In the old days, editors used to walk in offices with smoke coming out of their nostrils & bounce the writers head off the wall for such nonsense. Now this crap gets printed.

Ummm....Matthews...NEWSFLASH: If all goes well, the Bills won't have a chance to get Locker. DUH!

And if all goes REALLY well, they won't even want Locker!

Edited by Enuf-is-Enuf

That was such a ridiculous thing to say on Matthews part. When I read that I almost spit out my coffee! In the old days, editors used to walk in offices with smoke coming out of their nostrils & bounce the writers head off the wall for such nonsense. Now this crap gets printed.

Ummm....Matthews...NEWSFLASH: If all goes well, the Bills won't have a chance to get Locker. DUH!

And if all goes REALLY well, they won't even want Locker!

Not to defend BM, but my guess is he was being sarcastic with that comment, "if all goes well..."

Not to defend BM, but my guess is he was being sarcastic with that comment, "if all goes well..."

No, he wasn't. I think you're giving him way too much credit. He, like some of the other staff at the D and C, doesn't actually like the Bills. He's too busy gushing over the Yankees, as he does in most columns. Wow, that's a lot of fun--I'll bet he rooted for Goliath, too.....

No, he wasn't. I think you're giving him way too much credit. He, like some of the other staff at the D and C, doesn't actually like the Bills. He's too busy gushing over the Yankees, as he does in most columns. Wow, that's a lot of fun--I'll bet he rooted for Goliath, too.....

Agreed. Right now, it's logical for the average Bills fan to be saying to themselves..."Hmmm, Edwards has perfomed well the last three weeks. Maybe...just maybe his dysfunction of the past was the result of the bigger dysfunction of poor offensive coaching? The jury must remain out for a while. I'm pullin' for the guy."

But no... it's obvious that Matthews has written off our four QB's. That tells me he's not really following the pre-season...that he's not really a Bills fan.. & that he just jumped on the skunk wagon with the rest of the doom & gloomers.

What does it say about a Buffalo area "journalist" who is clearly hoping for the Bills to have a dismal season?

If Matthews feels his job is to be a Bills' fan and therefore write about what is good for the team then he wouldn't be framing his 'all goes well' for the Bills with a losing season. If he is a journalist covering the team then he doesn't use that phrase.

The only way 'if all goes well' for the Bills and they draft Locker is if Locker has an average senior year and falls to the middle or later rounds of the draft, which is where the Bills most likely will be drafting.

Leinart is just one more example of why teams/fans need to be careful when selecting quarterbacks as #1. A certain Brian Brohm after his junior year was being touted as a potential top five pick but then he had a pedestrian senior year and we are witnessing his pro career (And, I was one of those hoping his college potential came back with his coming to the Bills but it appears now that his senior year at Louisville was more reflective of his true abilities than his junior year.).

i think youre being a little too hard on matthews

first of all, hes not saying he wants the bills to lose hes just saying hed like to see locker here. lots of things could happen that would end up having that player drafted, not necessarily a dismal bills season

secondly, it would be the biggest miracle in my bills fandom history for this squad to win even eight games. even if edwards manages to have a 'good' season there are questions and holes all over the place, such as wr2+, oline depth, and the entire front seven is bordering on disaster. this squad will give up close to the most points in the league and im not sure the offense can possibly ever be good enough to bail them out to the tune of nine wins

until they are mathematically eliminated from the postseason i would not root for them to lose. but if youre not going to be in the playoffs then yes it is better to lose a few more close games than win them. what a total disaster of a season it would be if they managed to cobble together eight wins and then manage to miss out on a blue chip pick cuz they won meaningless games

so sit back, relax, leave bob alone, and be happy with the four-ish wins and a potential franchise qb next spring

The best way to deal with Matthews is simply ignore him. He is football-stupid, like Sully.

With that said, it is perfectly OK for him to have campaigned for Leinart when he was in the draft, and not wanting him on the team now. That would suggest he has reconsidered his position based on Matt's play in the NFL. Yes, it would be nice if he, in bold print, recognized his earlier misjudgment. But I doubt that clown remembers what he had for breakfast.

I'd just as soon scatter pictures of possible QB candidates on the floor, and pick the one my dog pissed on as use Matthews' judgment.

i think youre being a little too hard on matthews

first of all, hes not saying he wants the bills to lose hes just saying hed like to see locker here. lots of things could happen that would end up having that player drafted, not necessarily a dismal bills season

secondly, it would be the biggest miracle in my bills fandom history for this squad to win even eight games. even if edwards manages to have a 'good' season there are questions and holes all over the place, such as wr2+, oline depth, and the entire front seven is bordering on disaster. this squad will give up close to the most points in the league and im not sure the offense can possibly ever be good enough to bail them out to the tune of nine wins

until they are mathematically eliminated from the postseason i would not root for them to lose. but if youre not going to be in the playoffs then yes it is better to lose a few more close games than win them. what a total disaster of a season it would be if they managed to cobble together eight wins and then manage to miss out on a blue chip pick cuz they won meaningless games

so sit back, relax, leave bob alone, and be happy with the four-ish wins and a potential franchise qb next spring

A nice post Mr. Spock...but I just can't buy into your logic...sorry. I see no logic in less wins today equating to a better tomorrow. I rather go 8 & 8 than 4 & 12...

Of course, Bob does not mention that he had been a huge advocate of drafting young Mr. Leinart back in 2006.

Bob probably doesn't remember what he had for breakfast.

The best way to deal with Matthews is simply ignore him. He is football-stupid, like Sully.

Why drag football into this?

THIS ^^^

Well...Especially before a single Game is played...I can understand if they're 3-12 and a loss guarantees the 1st Pick in The Draft...But even then I don't really want them to lose. It's more like, if they lose it's not all bad... B-)

Or maybe not.

One way of taking it is that Mr. Matthews wouldn't be happy with Trent leading the team to several more 7-9 to 9-7 type seasons. That Mr. Matthews thinks the team needs a major upgrade at the QB position and the best way to contend for a championship is to have a great, franchise QB. In that sense, if "all goes well" the Bills get there opportunity to draft such a QB, he pans out, and in a few years the Bills are hoisting a Lombardi Trophy and this board crashes... (sorry, SDS.) :)

I want to add one thing to this thread...

I'm hearing SO much 3-13, under 5 wins (Gruden and Jaws on ESPN), vying for the #1 overall pick in 2011 (Kiper on ESPN)...It's insane how bad people think this Team is...

Thing is...I've been following this as close and anyone Nationally, and I really have no idea...I think this team has talent, not great talent, but some talent...I think the thought that they will be one of the worst if not the worst team in the NFL is at least a bit of a stretch...I think they're Coaching this year, especially on Offense, is light years ahead of last Season when they went 6-10...

I know this much...If The Bills can figure out a way to Run the ball and stop the Run at Home they are going to give Teams fits at The Ralph...I don't see any reason, outside of another injury plagued Season, this Team cannot win 6-9 Games...It's still probably not going to be good enough...They'll still need to get a lot better...But I think they're a far cry from the worst Team in the NFL...I guess we'll see soon enough... B-)

PTR

+1