The Jackie Chan Effect

So far, most everyone including myself has been very impressed by what Jackie Chan has done to the offense, and Trent. The play-calling, play design, utilizing player strengths, execution (like on screen passes) has dramatically improved. Add the dynamic Spiller to the mix and the results, at least so far and in (meaningless) pre-season are very encouraging. And we haven't even seen the full offense yet. Trent is doing and showing things for the first time in a while (and in some cases, ever) that solid QBs in the NFL must do to be successful. And we've been successful. TDs are showing up on the scoreboard and there is much joy in Billville.

Fitzy's problem all along is that he is inconsistent, woefully inaccurate at times, out of control, and has a ceiling because of his fairly limited athletic abilities. But if the Jackie Chan Effect has worked on Trent, why can it not work on Fitz, too? What we saw out of him against the Bengals was an accurate, decisive passer making smart decisions and moving the chains. The TD pass was a beauty, but there were 3-4 other really good throws. He was under control for the most part, and he ran and used his scrambling ability a couple others to decent advantage. He may still have a ceiling, and is likely never a really good starting QB in this league, but he could be a very good back-up if The Jackie Chan Effect really does take hold. He's a lot better than Tyler Thigpen.

Then again, maybe the Bengal game was an aberration and the next game he reverts to throwing groundballs and looking like a chicken with his head cut off (although he looked decent against The Skins as well).

I'm actually thinking that Brian Brohm is going to play pretty well against the Lions, as he is benefiting, too. And we have some very difficult choices to make come final cut day. I've changed my mind on what I want to happen and what I think will happen a few different times from before OTAs until now. Thursday should be interesting.