Game day and team observations

1. We are not billsfanone. Most of the "major" worries that we had in the off season have been addressed and are actually not our greatest worries. Drew looks sharp. He gets the ball off quick and he is accurate. He doesn't force throws. We run, and his play action fakes are excellent. The OL is not great but Pucillo is gone and the LG is doing just fine. We were without our best and third best tackle last night and we didnt get killed. Moulds looks great. Travis Henry will be very good. We have a ton of weapons, and some good coaching and play-calling (the flea-flicker notwithstanding).

2. Did anyone see that Lee Evans was three yards past his man and even slowing down when Travis Brown threw that putrid interception before he got hurt? Our receiving corps is going to be very good. Even the TEs are making catches. Drew is working the field and getting the ball off to diffeent receivers. I like the play designs a lot. Clements is determined to run, and TH is going to be a monster.

3. The defense has been consistently getting turnovers. Jerry Gray, without really game-planning, has devised a very interesting defense, and teams never seem to know what the Bills are doing and where the pressure is coming from. There are a lot of zone blitzes. The starters gave up 13 points and scored 7 against the Colts, with TWO drives starting at our 20 yard line, and the only touchdown came from a 4th and 2 play where in the regular season they probably punt. Tackling was the only problem last night and that's something we know we can do. The defense will be better than last year. I think Lawyer Milloy starts against Jacksonville. Even Coy Wire made two good plays on pass coverage.

4. The special teams sucked big time last night. Mularkey said that there were only 10 men on the field on the blocked punt, which is unacceptable but shows why that could have happened. Nate scares the hell out of me with the ball but is a very good returner. I think McGee should be back there, however. The long KO return had a lot of players on it that are not going to be on the KO team.

5. I do NOT know if this is true, but my brother just told me he heard on the radio that Travis Brown's MRI was negative. I find that hard to believe but perhaps we're not billsfanone. Frankly, I would say get Neil O'Donnell, or some old vet that can come in and just play because of experience until Brown or Losman is back. Drew is VERY durable, and our hopes are basically shot for this year if he goes down anyway.

6. Schobel has looked pretty darn good this summer. Been making plays on running downs, which is shocking.

7. Teague has played well, another huge pre-season worry. Not dominant but right now, all we need is that kind of play by him. When all starters play in the same game, for two weeks, we will not be a horrible line.

8. Not scoring touchdowns is clearly a concern but I like a lot of what I see from the offense under bad circumstances. This is going to be a frustrating but exciting team, with likely very erratic play from the O. But the D is going to be so good, we only need 20 points a game, and I think we will be able to do it with all of our players in there. We haven't seen our best weapon, Travis, yet. Josh has played well. We're going to create a lot of match-up problems. Willis is nowhere near ready but is going to be able to add an element.

Are we great? Hell, no. Do we have a dozen unanswered questions? Surely. But do we have a ton of talent, a very stout defense, good coaching (and great compared to last year), very good skill players, a ton of veteran and locker room leadership, a host of good young talent, a good amount of speed at most positions. This is a good team and we're going to blow out Jacksonville in the opener