Colt McCoy

Ennjay

... there was some interest here in drafting him. Per Lopez on SI.com:

Colt McCoy, the Texas golden boy and college football's all-time winningest quarterback, seems to have avoided the NFL chopping block. Or maybe not.

McCoy's disappointing preseason has led to his name surfacing as one that could fall victim to roster cuts. Browns coach Eric Mangini recently offered an endorsement, sort of, for McCoy. He said the decision has not been made and offensive coordinator Eric Mangini [so it says on SI.com] has kept four quarterbacks before. When it comes to NFL roster cuts, though, nothing ever is certain and keeping four QBs is very unlikely.

Colt McCoy, QB, Browns

Mangini's endorsement was not exactly definitive. With Jake Delhomme penciled in as the starter and Seneca Wallace having a good preseason, McCoy is locked in a battle for the No. 3 spot with Brett Ratliff.

It seems highly unlikely the Browns would actually pull the trigger on cutting a third-round draft pick like McCoy, who is younger than Ratliff and could develop slowly. Still, there's a sense the Browns feel McCoy is in over his head and not the physical talent they believed him to be.

And this is before he has to through in a snowstorm or a November wind off the lake.

From PFT:

"After the final play of Saturday's loss to the Lions, cameras provided a glimpse of the frustration that McCoy has caused for coach Eric Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

After McCoy heaved a final-play Hail Mary that landed well to the right of the end zone, Daboll met McCoy at the sideline, gesturing and speaking in a way that suggested that Daboll was saying something along the lines of,"Why in the hell didn't you throw it in bounds?" Then came Mangini, with a priceless mixture of impatience and exasperation on his face as he gestured toward the 500-square-yard target into which the football should have landed. McCoy made the mistake of trying to explain himself, which resulted in more chatter from the coach."

On the play previous to the one described above, McCoy completed a pass for a short gain to a receiver standing in bounds when the team had no timeouts left.

Earlier in the game, he was seen trying to get the offense to huddle up to no avail…his teammates unlike McCoy, knew it was fourth down and were running off the field.

The kid's head is spinning right now. Like many young quarterbacks, it'll take him some time, maybe a few years before the game slows down.

I can't understand how anyone who watched him play against top level opponents in college could be surprised. These were his numbers against the only two good teams he played against last year:

DATE OPP CMP ATT YDS CMP% LNG TD INT RAT

17-OctOklahoma 21 39 127 53.8 14 1 1 84.53

5-Dec@Nebraska 20 36 184 55.6 25 0 3 81.82

Edited by KD in CT

Mccoy was always going to take a while to develop. Texas doesn't run a system that makes it easy to transition to the nfl, and I've never been impressed with the way he read defenses. He's also rather small, and looks a lot smaller in person than he does on tv.

I think he may end up being a solid #2 guy in the nfl who can spot start for a few games, but he needs a long development period to get to that point.

The ceiling on his game is probably a guy who can be an accurate, short pass guy in a west coast offense, but he isn't going to light the world on fire with deep throws. it makes sense from the holmgren perspective given he could fit that style of offense, but I don't think he is going to develop into a franchise qb. I also think he is going to always struggle reading complex defenses, which will limit him to a backup role.

Oops. "Throw," not "through."

But my point is, as has been said, I just don't see the arm strength to be a significant NFL QB in places like Buffalo or Cleveland. And he'd have to get lucky (like maybe a Todd Collins) to stick around more than a few years as a backup when taller, stronger, cheaper (because they're younger) guys come into the league every year.

From PFT:

"After the final play of Saturday's loss to the Lions, cameras provided a glimpse of the frustration that McCoy has caused for coach Eric Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

After McCoy heaved a final-play Hail Mary that landed well to the right of the end zone, Daboll met McCoy at the sideline, gesturing and speaking in a way that suggested that Daboll was saying something along the lines of,"Why in the hell didn't you throw it in bounds?" Then came Mangini, with a priceless mixture of impatience and exasperation on his face as he gestured toward the 500-square-yard target into which the football should have landed. McCoy made the mistake of trying to explain himself, which resulted in more chatter from the coach."

The bolded part is absolutely hilarious.