Massive Solar Storm Possibly Brewing

/dev/null

I think they meant it will be propelled with a force of 100m

Surely by the time it hits the earth's atmosphere, it will have been weakened considerably to just a few m's with maybe a trace of pixie dust

...Need to get to work on my Gizmotic Solar Jihad Deflector Suit Apparatus, the M1-GSJDSA-1

Edited by Frit0 Bandit0

Oh no doubt that article was poorly written but when it says: is to strike our planet in 2012 with a force of 100 million hydrogen bombs. how else are you supposed to interpret that?

Oh no doubt that article was poorly written but when it says: is to strike our planet in 2012 with a force of 100 million hydrogen bombs. how else are you supposed to interpret that?

How much power per square inch is that when you spread it across the planet? Also is the night side of the planet spared when it hits so only half the planet gets fried?

PTR

Surely by the time it hits the earth's atmosphere, it will have been weakened considerably to just a few m's with maybe a trace of pixie dust

...Need to get to work on my Gizmotic Solar Jihad Deflector Suit Apparatus, the M1-GSJDSA-1

Most likely they're talking about the total energy of the solar flare. Just doing so with a really, really, really !@#$ed-up inaccurate bull **** analogy.

How much power per square inch is that when you spread it across the planet? Also is the night side of the planet spared when it hits so only half the planet gets fried?

PTR

Is this a serious question?

(I'm not being snide, I'm honestly asking.)

Another example of someone with no science background writing a newpaper article on science. I wish the papers would get someone who had taken at least one science class since high school.

You can apply the same thinking to virtually all subjects beyond sports and fashion--ie, politics, history, the economy, etc.

IMO, any topic that required a person to crack a book in college will be poorly covered by the general media. I speak to reporters frequently as part of my job and the mental picture I always get after these conversations is [ Empty Space ].

Sort of like many discussions on TSW, actually...