A new Charles " The Hammer"

I don't think "immigration reform" would have solved the problem either. I don't have a problem with working out a way to legalize the workers or even speeding up the immigration process to make it easier and faster for more people to enter legally from Mexico. But until you block the flow of illegals, amnesty or reform or whatever you prefer to call it won't fix the problem. I wrote something a few years back about this. I can't get to it now but I'll post it later. I'd like to get your thoughts on it.

I have a novel idea. How about letting capitalism work? Businesses need workers and workers need jobs. If someone comes here and gets a job put them on the road to citizenship

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a novel idea. How about letting capitalism work? Businesses need workers and workers need jobs. If someone comes here and gets a job put them on the road to citizenship

That sounds very Libertarian of you, Dave-o. Could it be you've been doing some reading?

"But because a comeuppance is due the arrogant elites whose undisguised contempt for the great unwashed prevents them from conceding a modicum of serious thought to those who dare oppose them."

Let me get this right:

This elite represents Gays, Muslims, Blacks, and Hispanic immigrants so arrogantly that people have to "dare" to oppose them even when they share the opinion of the majority (by Krauthammer's own logic)?

Unwittingly, it sounds like he just called his enemies too principled.

Tune in for a variation on the theme in his next column.

BTW - How does Odo from Deep Space 9 find time to write?

Edited by X. Benedict

"But because a comeuppance is due the arrogant elites whose undisguised contempt for the great unwashed prevents them from conceding a modicum of serious thought to those who dare oppose them."

Let me get this right:

This elite represents Gays, Muslims, Blacks, and Hispanic immigrants so arrogantly that people have to "dare" to oppose them even when they share the opinion of the majority (by Krauthammer's own logic)?

Is this supposed to be a crayonzesque post?

Let me get this right:

That's one way to look at it... :unsure:

Let me get this right:

Just curious. Are you aware that Krauthammer (Odo) is a paraplegic? It's always a hoot to make fun of how those people look, isn't it. The man New York Times columnist David Brooks says is the most important conservative columnist,” is a very talented guy. Also wondering if you know that he worked for both Carter and Mondale.

Just curious. Are you aware that Krauthammer (Odo) is a paraplegic? It's always a hoot to make fun of how those people look, isn't it. The man New York Times columnist David Brooks says is the most important conservative columnist,” is a very talented guy. Also wondering if you know that he worked for both Carter and Mondale.

Do paraplegics look different from the neck up? :unsure:

I didn't know he was a paraplegic. But he does look like Odo from neck up.

Whatever bonafide's aside - his logic has become twisted if he calling Obama elitist for over-representing minority viewpoints of those traditionally below the mainstream.

I don't think Krauthammer is a bigot - but is "elitism" really the right slur here?

Important columnist? I think he's pandering (dangling the red meat to the base) Something David Brooks and George Will avoid.

Whatever bonafide's aside - his logic has become twisted if he calling Obama elitist for over-representing minority viewpoints of those traditionally below the mainstream.

I don't think Krauthammer is a bigot - but is "elitism" really the right slur here?

Important columnist? I think he's pandering (dangling the red meat to the base) Something David Brooks and George Will avoid.

That elitism is a condescending look down at people who the elites think are beneath them and need their oh so enlightened guidance to make it. Don't kid yourself, Obama doesn't think any of us are fit to shine his shoes; just to kiss them.

None taken, the guy is unimpressive in every sense. His texts read like the writing of a troll.

You may not agree with him, but there is no denying he is a very intelligent and well educated man. You'd do well to suspend your judgement and try to understand where a lot of these people are coming from. You really don't know enough about the issues to justify such strong dogmatic opinions you've adopted.

You should read this book, you can find an older edition of it at the library if you don't want to pay for it. You'll be glad you did. If nothing else you'll be much more effective at arguing economic issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Economics-4th-Ed-Economy/dp/0465022529/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283224086&sr=1-4

Her's some of his biography:

"Charles Krauthammer was born in 1950 in New York City. He grew up in Montreal and was educated at McGill University (B A. with First Class Honors in Political Science and Economics, 1970), Oxford University (Commonwealth Scholar in Politics at Balliol College, 1970-71), and Harvard University (MD, Harvard Medical School, 1975).

From 1975-78 he practiced medicine as a Resident and then Chief Resident in Psychiatry at the Massachusetts General Hospital His scientific papers, including his co-discovery of a form of manic-depressive illness, are still frequently cited in the psychiatric literature.

In 1978, he quit psychiatry and came to Washington to serve as a science adviser in the Carter Administration and, later, speechwriter to Vice President Walter Mondale. In 1981, he joined the staff of The New Republic where he was an essayist and editor from 1981 -88. In the mid-eighties he began writing a weekly syndicated column for The Washington Post, which now appears in more than 100 newspapers, and a monthly essay for Time magazine.

In his first full year as a syndicated columnist, he won the Pulitzer Prize (Distinguished Commentary, 1987). His New Republic essays won the highest award in magazine writing, the National Magazine Award for Essays and Criticism (1984). In 1997, the Washingtonian magazine named him among the top 50 most influential journalists in the national press corps.

He has won awards for his writing on everything from the economics of oil (the Champion/Tuck Media Award for Economic Understanding) to religion in civil society (People for the American Way, First Amendment Award). Mr. Krauthammer received the Guardian of Zion Award from Bar-Ilan University in May 2002. His essays have appeared in dozens of anthologies on subjects ranging from nuclear deterrence to gay marriage. He has been writing about medical ethics for The New Republic since 1979 and recently wrote an article for the magazine entitled "What We Will Become: A Secular Inquiry into the Ethics of Research Cloning." He is a member of the President's Council on Bioethics. A collection of his essays and columns, Cutting Edges, was published in 1985 (Random House).

He is a regular weekly panelist on Inside Washington, Washington’s highest rated political TV talk show, and a contributing editor to The New Republic and The Weekly Standard. In addition, also serves on the Editorial Board of several journals, including the National Interest and the Public Interest."

He beame a paapalegic in a diving accident in college.

You may not agree with him, but there is no denying he is a very intelligent and well educated man. You'd do well to suspend your judgement and try to understand where a lot of these people are coming from.

I think the same thing of you and writers like Matt Taibbi and Eugene Robinson.

You really don't know enough about the issues to justify such strong dogmatic opinions you've adopted.

You crack me up with joke statements like this. This is the pot calling the white picket fence black.