Just Four Chords....

Just Jack

The Science of Popular Music or The Four Chord Song

This amusing video investigates the science behind popular music: Australian comedy group 'Axis Of Awesome' performs a sketch from the 2009 Melbourne International Comedy Festival where they play parts of popular songs to demonstrate their claim that popular music contains only four cords that are rearranged. Somewhat.

The Science of Popular Music or The Four Chord Song

This amusing video investigates the science behind popular music: Australian comedy group 'Axis Of Awesome' performs a sketch from the 2009 Melbourne International Comedy Festival where they play parts of popular songs to demonstrate their claim that popular music contains only four cords that are rearranged. Somewhat.

Love this video!

i'm thinkin: vi-IV-I-V and I-V-vi-IV...or in G that would be Em-C-G-D or G-D-Em-C. any musicians who can confirm?

To confirm, your second progression is exactly what they're doing on this video - I-V-vi-IV. I think they're in the key of E in this video, making it E - B - C#minor - A. That's the usual key for Journey tune they start with. There are other four-chord (and three-chord as many of you noted) progressions that are very popular and common too, like any combination of I, IV and V and I-vi-IV-V for anything written in the 50s.

I'm a classical musician, but I listen to a lot of pop and jazz and often use it when teaching harmony. While I agree in part with the sentiment that a lot of pop is simplistic, it is also impressive (and rather amazing) when a good songwriter can come up with a unique and interesting melody or riff that gives a somewhat fresh sound to a progression we've heard a million times. That's not the case with most of the tunes in the this video, IMO.