Thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler

dib

Don't get me wrong: I appreciate what Jeeps are all about. I really do. I just don't think most people can justify owning one. Hell, for most people, a Ford Fusion/Toyota Camry is all they need to just ramble back and forth to work...but instead they buy a GMC Yukon or Toyota Highlander.

I drive my car to the gym on the weekends and occasionally when my wife and I are heading in different directions on the weekends. I don't need a Jeep. I could probably almost get buy on a moped. But I have a way overpriced sports sedan I love. We're Americans: We like cars. Maybe even especially the ones like a Jeep that we don't need.

Define "need." I have an 05 Wrangler that I absoluetly love and will likely never sell or trade. Never had a problem. Change the oil every 3-4k (even though its synthetic) and rotate the tires every 5k. Do I need a Wrangler...tough question. I don't drive to work, I take a train. However, my non-work activities include a heavy dose of skiing, beachgoing (meaning driving on the sand dunes) and the occasional off-road adventure...perfect activities for a Wrangler.

Define "need." I have an 05 Wrangler that I absoluetly love and will likely never sell or trade. Never had a problem. Change the oil every 3-4k (even though its synthetic) and rotate the tires every 5k. Do I need a Wrangler...tough question. I don't drive to work, I take a train. However, my non-work activities include a heavy dose of skiing, beachgoing (meaning driving on the sand dunes) and the occasional off-road adventure...perfect activities for a Wrangler.

You off-road so you obviously put the Wrangler to good use. I have never off-roaded in my life even though I go to the beach, camp, and drive in the snow all the time. So even the casual outdoor adventure type like me can't justify a Jeep. But I also can't justify a German sports car that sticks to the road through 60mph corners, goes 0-60 in 4 seconds, goes through gas like a Carribean oil rig, and has no storage room. Wouldn't make it any less fun to drive!

That doesn't mean I wouldn't feel cool in a JEep...which is why most people get them.

(I have off-roaded on vacation in St. John USVI in rented Jeeps. Was fun.)

Edited by Peace

Don't get me wrong: I appreciate what Jeeps are all about. I really do. I just don't think most people can justify owning one. Hell, for most people, a Ford Fusion/Toyota Camry is all they need to just ramble back and forth to work...but instead they buy a GMC Yukon or Toyota Highlander.

I drive my car to the gym on the weekends and occasionally when my wife and I are heading in different directions on the weekends. I don't need a Jeep. I could probably almost get buy on a moped. But I have a way overpriced sports sedan I love. We're Americans: We like cars. Maybe even especially the ones like a Jeep that we don't need.

Fair enough, I see your point. I do hate on the trendy people also...;)

Blown tranny + threw a rod + other fixes + loves the Jeep anyways= sounds like every Jeep owner I've ever known!

I understand your point... But stuff like that happens on other cars too. Except with them, the customer never returns to that brand...

Also... What engine did he have... Was it the cheesy 4? Chryslers were always known back in the day for bad tranny's... And 1988 is the second year of the YJ after being bought out by Chrysler (square headlights).

Hey... Don't forget the newer Wranglers (+2000, especially +2003) are meshed with all the new electronics and such... Bringing the best of both worlds. I suspect the +2007 models will be more finicky with more to break down... Like alarm systems, power windows and doors, etc... etc...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yep... The 2007+ JK's... Also have electronic disconnect of the sway bar... Want more axle articulation when you are rock crawling? You don't even have to leave the cab now.. Come OEM on the Rubicon.

Makes things harder to fix = not what a Jeep is about to me.

Makes things harder to fix = not what a Jeep is about to me.

Exactly! I don't disagree with your arguments. Jeeps are meant to be beaten on... Of course they may break... So YOU fix them. Or say you are out on the trail/rocks and lose the rear end... You can limp home in FWD only with the rear drive shaft disconnected. What I am saying... Make things overly complicated and you defeat the purpose of the Jeep. It is nice because it is an ORV that is street legal. And the smaller the better... That is why I don't get the new models... You wanna be able to go where ATV's go and go on the street.