Thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler

dib

I have a Laredo now but I'm thinking about getting the 4 door Wrangler. Anybody have one? Comments?

If you do get a wrangler get the one with the straight 6. Damn engines last forever. Cousin has one with 175,000 and my buddies gf has one with almost 200,000 miles.

I grew up in Toledo. That is where every Jeep ever made was built. No joke, look it up. The only Jeep not assembled in Toledo was the FJ which was made by Ford but still a Jeep. This was done to help get enough to provide the military.

Anyway, just a word for the wise; figure you are probably going to add another $2k in to the Jeep once you get it. They make so many fun accessories. The Hardtop is the way to go, but buying a hardtop/softtop is a good idea. After market kits include Bikini tops and different types. By the way, the door Wrangler was a big let down. It killed the whole Wrangler thing.

Test drove the 4 door and wrangler, and decided to stay with the Cherokee. The Wrangler seemed cheap and tinny. Going to pick up the new Cherokee today, traded in my 11 year old Cherokee

Test drove the 4 door and wrangler, and decided to stay with the Cherokee. The Wrangler seemed cheap and tinny. Going to pick up the new Cherokee today, traded in my 11 year old Cherokee

The Wrangler has a cool factor for off-roading and liking to feel like you can go anywhere. Also good if you plan on being under the hood since everything is easy to work on.

On the flip side, the ride is loud (even with the hard top) and uncomfortable. Acceleration from 0-60 is a sloooooow. MPG is terrible. Backseat on 2D is nonexistent and 4D Wrangler is just wrong. And reliability is low.

Funny though: Even with all that, it's still a cool car. Something about a Wrangler.

Yes... 2006 TJ Golden Eagle: Has the H/D rear axle... Love it... Just put 50k on it... Soft top, even in the winter.

I bought the 2006 because they stopped making them (TJ: original "J" platform) after 2006... Last of the dinos! Cast iron engine, classic AMC straight 6...

I don't know too much about the new J/Ks... ?

Go for it!

Avoid These 5 Used Cars

http://finance.yahoo...od=family-autos

Small Used SUV to Avoid: Jeep Wrangler

King of the off-road, the 2007 Wrangler can climb over almost any obstacle except a reliability test. Owners of the two-door version responding to Consumer Reports reported major transmission problems and issues with the electrical system and brakes. And it's selling on dealer lots at a relatively expensive $19,850.

Explain why you don't see TJ's/YJ's/and CJ's in junk yards then?

:nana:

Explain why you don't see TJ's/YJ's/and CJ's in junk yards then?

:nana:

People like them because there's an "it" factor in having a Jeep and more importantly for why you don't see them in junkyards, they aer the most modular car in the world and you can sub parts from almost any Jeep into another.

That doesn't change the undisputed fact that they are super-unreliable. (And loud. And uncomfortable. And unstoppable.)

Most people get Jeeps to look cool. Few people get Jeeps because they are cool enough to need one.

People like them because there's an "it" factor in having a Jeep and more importantly for why you don't see them in junkyards, they aer the most modular car in the world and you can sub parts from almost any Jeep into another.

That doesn't change the undisputed fact that they are super-unreliable. (And loud. And uncomfortable. And unstoppable.)

Most people get Jeeps to look cool. Few people get Jeeps because they are cool enough to need one.

True on the first part. Wrong on the second. Nothing is unreliable if taken care of. That is where the problem is... Don't take care of it properly and yes, problems. I love it because it is BASIC... Everything I can maintain myself. Just did the front rotors and pads, rear drum pads last week. Yes, I had a blown rear axle seal... But, hey... It has 50k and takes abuse from time to time.

Wrong on the third.

The modular thing is what sells me! It should last forever. Still you see Jeeps that are 20-30+ years old on the road. When something starts to go, notice the warning signs.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

True on the first part. Wrong on the second. Nothing is unreliable if taken care of. That is where the problem is... Don't take care of it properly and yes, problems. I love it because it is BASIC... Everything I can maintain myself. Just did the front rotors and pads, rear drum pads last week. Yes, I had a blown rear axle seal... But, hey... It has 50k and takes abuse from time to time.

Wrong on the third.

The modular thing is what sells me! It should last forever. Still you see Jeeps that are 20-30+ years old on the road. When something starts to go, notice the warning signs.

The firs, second, third part thing threw me but I believe you are arguing that Jeeps are (a) reliable and (b) driven by people who can justify them.

Regarding the first, you can't find a single notable publication that says Jeeps are reliable. They are consistently ranked unreliable for so many reasons that the list goes to pages. Jeeps break. They do. The good news is that you don't need to be a rocket scientist to fix it.

You buy a jeep because it can go anywhere. It is a seat on wheels. 99% of people don't need that--so they buy Jeeps because it looks cool. Their cool look is tempered by the lousy, loud, unreliable ride. That gets bad MPGs. Most people get them so they can look hip.

And this is from someone who loves Jeeps BTW. But see them for what they are. They need a LOT of attention to keep going. Most people aren't interested in that--nor should they be.

All you anti-Jeep/unreliable people are gonna love this little story. Just today... I get done spouting how reliable my 2006 TJ is... I get done with work, jump in and drive home... It is around 95 degrees out and my OEM Chrysler battery is almost 5 years old... Since the manu date of the vehicle was 11/2005. I decide to stop off at the supermarket and pick up some sweet corn and steaks for dinner... I get back in my vehicle to head home and start it... Nothing... Just the speedo and instrument cluster acting erratic... I figure it is the battery because in the back of my mind I knew I was pushing it agewise and then the heat. Wouldn't take a jump, just the clicking of the starter. Low and behold I am in the parking of the supermarket... What is across the street? A K-Mart... So I go in there and they have a DieHard battery for my vehicle on the shelf... I get it... Then proceed to pull out my trusty 10mm socket with ratchet and extension that I keep in my well stocked tool bag... Change the battery... Vehicle starts right up... Take the old battery back in to get 10 bucks on the trade-in... All in around 30 minutes I am off and home being 90 dollars lighter in my wallet with steaks and sweet corn in tow.

Now... Did my Jeep "let me down" or did it "know" to crap my battery out near a K-Mart (they sell Craftsman/Sears stuff)? I even had my pick of 3 auto parts stores in the area in case my first choice didn't have the battery.

Anyway... It is still my fault... I shouldn't have been driving on a 5 year old battery (OEM too boot) in the heat... Just asking for it... But most of the time I am not gonna replace a battery until it really craps out... Just like getting my money's worth out of my break pads and rotors... Front rotors are well under 100 bucks a piece.

Jeep Wrangler (at least the older ones... Not too up on the new ones)=:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Easy to find parts and not a pain in the ass to install them!

Oh and Dib... I didn't know this... Reading the DieHard chart, it said that the further south you are, the less battery life/longevity you have. FLA is only 2-3 years, mid-south is 3-4 years, lower north is 4-5 years (exact age of mine), and upper north zone is 4-6 years on average.

The firs, second, third part thing threw me but I believe you are arguing that Jeeps are (a) reliable and (b) driven by people who can justify them.

Regarding the first, you can't find a single notable publication that says Jeeps are reliable. They are consistently ranked unreliable for so many reasons that the list goes to pages. Jeeps break. They do. The good news is that you don't need to be a rocket scientist to fix it.

You buy a jeep because it can go anywhere. It is a seat on wheels. 99% of people don't need that--so they buy Jeeps because it looks cool. Their cool look is tempered by the lousy, loud, unreliable ride. That gets bad MPGs. Most people get them so they can look hip.

And this is from someone who loves Jeeps BTW. But see them for what they are. They need a LOT of attention to keep going. Most people aren't interested in that--nor should they be.

Maybe... But the trade off is that they will last forever... Even if they totally rot out, things can be fixed. That is the key... I am am talking about the old "C/Y/TJ" platform though. Yes, it is a set a wheels with a seat, that is what I like about it. Can't get any closer to having a motorcycle with 4 wheels and a roof to keep you dry or a street legal ATV/ORV. This is what you expect when one buys it. I take many people don't think this way anymore and Jeep changed the platform to match the rest of the Jeep line back in 2007... Then there was the whole new tougher Fed safety standards in 2007. I give Jeep credit, they could have just scrapped the whole Wrangler line and said to heck with it, it is too tough to engineer this type of vehicle in today's crazed safety enviro. But they didn't! The one thing I am not sold on with the new JK Wranglers is the body panel design... Getting away from the classic "tub" in order to get better mpg.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Maybe... But the trade off is that they will last forever... Even if they totally rot out, things can be fixed. That is the key... I am am talking about the old "C/Y/TJ" platform though. Yes, it is a set a wheels with a seat, that is what I like about it. Can't get any closer to having a motorcycle with 4 wheels and a roof to keep you dry or a street legal ATV/ORV. This is what you expect when one buys it. I take many people don't think this way anymore and Jeep changed the platform to match the rest of the Jeep line back in 2007... Then there was the whole new tougher Fed safety standards in 2007. I give Jeep credit, they could have just scrapped the whole Wrangler line and said to heck with it, it is too tough to engineer this type of vehicle in today's crazed safety enviro. But they didn't! The one thing I am not sold on with the new JK Wranglers is the body panel design... Getting away from the classic "tub" in order to get better mpg.

Don't get me wrong: I appreciate what Jeeps are all about. I really do. I just don't think most people can justify owning one. Hell, for most people, a Ford Fusion/Toyota Camry is all they need to just ramble back and forth to work...but instead they buy a GMC Yukon or Toyota Highlander.

I drive my car to the gym on the weekends and occasionally when my wife and I are heading in different directions on the weekends. I don't need a Jeep. I could probably almost get buy on a moped. But I have a way overpriced sports sedan I love. We're Americans: We like cars. Maybe even especially the ones like a Jeep that we don't need.

I used to own a used 1988 Jeep Wrangler and they are fun vehicles. I bought it in Virginia and after owning it for a little more than a month, I was driving back to NY for the holidays when the transmission blew. It took them a couple of months to find a replacement, but after it was replaced (the dealership where I bought it covered a portion of the cost) it ran fine. Only minor fix-ups for the next 3 years when I threw a rod in it in Verona NY. It was one of the saddest days of my life.

If I wasn't in outside sales, I would buy a Wrangler today. Great in the snow here in the northeast and perfect in the summertime when at the beach. Plus the ability to customize it with accessories is loads of fun. I'm no gearhead, but I was able to replace everything from a gas tank to a new odometer cable by myself after buying a DIY guide.