I changed the hot topic icons. Hit F5 to refresh...

SDS

it used to be set to 15, which is pretty low IMO. Anyone have a better suggestion or should it stay the same? I changed it to 25 in the meantime.

OK, if a "hot topic" is simply based on the number of posts, then I think 25 is better than 15, and still maybe a bit low. But I wasn't a big use of that function, so I think maybe those who actually used it should decide.

For the record, I would assume "Hot topic" is something that is getting a lot of responses NOW. So a thread that got 5 responses in one minute is very hot. Of one that got 20% of all the reply posts in a certain time frame. Then, after a while, the topic would no longer be "hot" as the discussion has played out. But it is obvious from your post that it doesn't work this way. So I can't see any purpose for the feature.

OK, if a "hot topic" is simply based on the number of posts, then I think 25 is better than 15, and still maybe a bit low. But I wasn't a big use of that function, so I think maybe those who actually used it should decide.

For the record, I would assume "Hot topic" is something that is getting a lot of responses NOW. So a thread that got 5 responses in one minute is very hot. Of one that got 20% of all the reply posts in a certain time frame. Then, after a while, the topic would no longer be "hot" as the discussion has played out. But it is obvious from your post that it doesn't work this way. So I can't see any purpose for the feature.

25 seems like a good number.

You know, Dean, the "rep" feature would go a long way in establishing a dissolving metric for "hot" topics, and even front page thread ordering...

25 seems like a good number.

You know, Dean, the "rep" feature would go a long way in establishing a dissolving metric for "hot" topics, and even front page thread ordering...

? I don't comprehend.

The rep feature, on some sites, tracks how popular various posts are, but also, once the "repping" or replying slows down, those posts fall further from the top of the home page, and they increase likewise.

Of course, that flies in the face of the new post, highest thread maxim that's always ruled TSW.

Stupid question here...how exactly does the "hot topic" feature work? Wasnt aware this feature even existed...

a topic with 25 posts or more will have the left hand folder color changed from blue to red as a quick visual indication of what topics are receiving a lot of activity.

a topic with 25 posts or more will have the left hand folder color changed from blue to red as a quick visual indication of what topics are receiving a lot of activity.

Should age factor into the definition? Not that I really care what topics are "hot" or not, but is a topic that got 25 replies 3 months ago still hot?

Should age factor into the definition? Not that I really care what topics are "hot" or not, but is a topic that got 25 replies 3 months ago still hot?

I only install the software and make it look pretty. Anyone who has any philosophical complaints with IP.Board can lodge a complaint with them...

it used to be set to 15, which is pretty low IMO. Anyone have a better suggestion or should it stay the same? I changed it to 25 in the meantime.

40 is my suggestion. With the number of users, that means any thread that is 2 pages long or longer becomes a hot topic, which in my mind is something worth reading.