Parents redshirting their kids...

Beerball

Actually, pretty much that exact things was in the article.

No not at all. The article is about how some parents are looking to give their kids an edge in school by holding off for a year. Thus being more developed than the competition. Both the article and the poster that I was conversing with make the assertion that the academic expectations are more rigorous in Kindergarten and subsequent grades. Nowhere in the article does it discuss two income households. The poster decided to slide that in as if its an explanation for everything that is bad in the education system. I asked him to elaborate as to how this is at all relevant to the article. His original assertion that parents not having enough time to spend with kids is leading to schools imposing stricter academic regimens seems counter-intuitive to me. If parents have less time to devote to their child's development wouldn't they be encouraging schools to be more inclusive and thus allowing children at a YOUNGER age to be going to school?

Great theory, except that isn't what the article is about. As a matter of fact the phenomenon that the article describes is pretty much the opposite of what you're saying.

No not at all. The article is about how some parents are looking to give their kids an edge in school by holding off for a year. Thus being more developed than the competition. Both the article and the poster that I was conversing with make the assertion that the academic expectations are more rigorous in Kindergarten and subsequent grades. Nowhere in the article does it discuss two income households. The poster decided to slide that in as if its an explanation for everything that is bad in the education system. I asked him to elaborate as to how this is at all relevant to the article. His original assertion that parents not having enough time to spend with kids is leading to schools imposing stricter academic regimens seems counter-intuitive to me. If parents have less time to devote to their child's development wouldn't they be encouraging schools to be more inclusive and thus allowing children at a YOUNGER age to be going to school?

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by "that isn't what the article was about." As you just said, the article did talk about kindergaten being tougher now than it used to be, and he just gave his opinion as to why.

The article also does say that becuase parents are sending their kids to day care far more than they used to (due to two income households) that kids are getting that early education before kindergarten, so kindergarten has become the new 1st grade. While a lot of parents want to send their kids to school so that they don't have to pay for daycare, there are many that also worried abou the psyche of their kids going to school before they are ready. The article talked about a bunch of different mind-frames of parents, not just one. So the counter-intuitive argument doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Faustus