The Fins ranked last in the NFL in yards allowed per pass

Skoobydum

Miami Dolphins cornerback Sean Smith started all 16 games as a rookie and broke up a dozen passes but failed to catch any. His interception total: zero.

Did he find it frustrating to be shut out? Embarrassing? Shocking?

“I’m going to go with all of the above,” Smith says. “It took awhile for me to get over it.”

Such are the growing pains for a young cornerback, whose every misstep can become fodder for highlight shows. The Dolphins had rookies at both corner spots last year, one reason they ranked last in the NFL in yards allowed per pass.

Smith and Vontae Davis are back for a second season, looking to make more plays and fewer mistakes. Their anticipated improvement would help solidify a defense revamped after a disappointing 2009 season.

“If those two guys compete every play like we know they can, we’ll be a very good defense,” strong safety Yeremiah Bell says. “If they clamp down, it means more sacks for the d-line and more interceptions for the safeties and linebackers. It makes life so much easier.”

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/aug/24/nfl-dolphins-counting-pair-2nd-year-cbs/

So, these guys secondary basically sucked last year and shouldn't be much better this year. We are literally on the opposite end of the scale as 2nd best, I think it's advantage Bills there.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/aug/24/nfl-dolphins-counting-pair-2nd-year-cbs/

So, these guys secondary basically sucked last year and shouldn't be much better this year. We are literally on the opposite end of the scale as 2nd best, I think it's advantage Bills there.

They will be better than last year, but it's not like they are Pro Bowl caliber players by any stretch of the imagination. Oh wait a minute, they play for the Dolphins? Then they must be two of the best shutdown corners in the game. The Dolphins are perennial Super Bowl team and they have the genius Bill Parcells in the front office and the very inventive Tony Sparano, a coaching genius, on the sidelines. Their secondary will be dominating this year! Sarcasm off.

Edited by need therapy

Davis and Smith as rookie starting CBs last year is roughly analogous to Levitre and Wood for us last year.

I don't think there's any doubt that they'll be much improved.

My hope is that while effective in coverage, they never become great ball athletes.

I can deal with the Dolphins having good coverage as long as they're not forcing turnovers against us.

I loved Antoine Winfield but it's actually pretty big when a cornerback can't create turnovers.

I thought their CBs played pretty well last year hence the lack of interceptions. Miami always has a decent defense overall.

The fish suffered because Ferguson was lost for the season. Can Randy Starks replace him and stop the run or provide the necessary double teaming to let the ends pressure the QB. The regular season will unfold.

Let's hope they maintain that spot this season, too.

Davis and Smith as rookie starting CBs last year is roughly analogous to Levitre and Wood for us last year.

I don't think there's any doubt that they'll be much improved.

My hope is that while effective in coverage, they never become great ball athletes.

I can deal with the Dolphins having good coverage as long as they're not forcing turnovers against us.

I loved Antoine Winfield but it's actually pretty big when a cornerback can't create turnovers.

In their first 2 preseasons game, Josh Freeman and David Garrad have looked really good passing against them. I think they are both very aggresive and can get beat for the big play. Also, their safties are very questionable. Big plays will be there.

In their first 2 preseasons game, Josh Freeman and David Garrad have looked really good passing against them. I think they are both very aggresive and can get beat for the big play. Also, their safties are very questionable. Big plays will be there.

Great to hear Biscuit.

I hope both of them have epic sophomore slumps on there way to failed careers.

They will be better than last year, but it's not like they are Pro Bowl caliber players by any stretch of the imagination. Oh wait a minute, they play for the Dolphins? Then they must be two of the best shutdown corners in the game. The Dolphins are perennial Super Bowl team and they have the genius Bill Parcells in the front office and the very inventive Tony Sparano, a coaching genius, on the sidelines. Their secondary will be dominating this year! Sarcasm off.

What sarcasm? That's all the National publications, pundits and websites say every year. Even the year they went 1-15 John Clayton picked them to go to the Super Bowl . . . :wallbash: