First Roster Cuts: Who's Going?

yungmack

I'm not sure exactly how many guys are on the roster right at this minute after the flurry of signings and Matthews being waived/injured, but teams have to get down to 75 players after this weekend. Who do you think will go in this first cut?

An interesting article. Hardy and Corto would not be surprising to me.

http://www.buffalone...ticle171431.ece

They are not going to cut Hardy on the first round of cuts. I highly doubt they cut him at all.

I say probably Donald Jones, and maybe Rhea the new guy (depending on when Hardy is back, which is supposed to be soon)

Wadkins on the OL.

Corto and/or Sargeant from the DBs.

Probably IR Wang.

Andre Anderson will only last as long as Lynch is out.

George will last only til the last cut depending on if Schouman is IR'd or cut. I think we only carry two TE for the first four weeks, which is a risk but an OL or McIntyre could fill in.

Sean Allen only lasts until the last cut so they have a back-up C but Wood will have the job when the season starts.

Roosevelt will only last til last cut and then likely on PS.

One of the QBs, maybe Fitz will be gone.

Ferguson the FB gone.

Chambers will be gone unless they cut Calloway instead.

Gaddis or Hennessey are cut.

Simpson is gone on last cut.

Duncan and Harvey are probably gone, although Harvey could possibly stay.

I think Lankster and Dominique Harris are cut.

Ellison is gone, IMO.

It will be interesting to see if they keep the two rookie LBs in Moats and Coleman. It's a risk but they probably do and cut Woods.

Cary Harris is probably cut and on the PS.

Either McCargo or Spencer Johnson, I say McCargo.

Ramsey or Cordero Howard, I sat Ramsey will be cut.

I think that would be enough as we are two under the limit right now although the two IR'd guys we just put on count until the season starts, which is stupid.

Injuries will probably make them cut or keep guys they didnt want to. It's going to be very hard to keep 6 WR and 4 RB but they may just do it. Otherwise you may see Bell or Hardy or even David Nelson cut (I really do not think they are going to give up on Hardy regardless of his non-production)

There are going to be some tough cuts though coming up.

From reading something on another board, apparently the Bills only have to cut three players and not five after this week.

Because both Easley and Batten are unvested veterans, they still count against the active roster until next week's first cut-down (August 31). The Bills were essentially faced with a choice: expose Easley and Batten to waivers so that they could place them on IR after they cleared waivers so that those two roster spots were freed up, or place them on IR, eat the two roster spaces for a week, and only need to cut three players to get down to 75 next Tuesday. Obviously, the Bills chose the latter.

This also properly explains why the Bills waived both Destin and Matthews - they literally didn't have the roster space to sign Foschi and George, even though Easley and Batten were already on IR.

So KTFAB did you get us down to 53 with that list, actually looks alright.

I kind of think they bring in and cut a fair amount the next 2 weeks.

There will be some players that they might want a look at.

I counted once and thought it was 53 but could have miscounted.

There will definitely be some hard decisions and probably 1-2 surprise cuts which happens every year. We may bring in some guys but I doubt we sign any, except if there were more injuries. I'd like a veteran back-up swing OL but it's hard to bring a guy in on the eve of the season and get him ready in that position. I'd like a veteran OLB who has played 3-4 but then I assume we cut Torbor, who is the same thing (unless Kelsay is gone, which I don't think happens). I'd like a veteran blocker TE but there isn't any real place for him, and we need the roster spot.

I counted once and thought it was 53 but could have miscounted.

There will definitely be some hard decisions and probably 1-2 surprise cuts which happens every year. We may bring in some guys but I doubt we sign any, except if there were more injuries. I'd like a veteran back-up swing OL but it's hard to bring a guy in on the eve of the season and get him ready in that position. I'd like a veteran OLB who has played 3-4 but then I assume we cut Torbor, who is the same thing (unless Kelsay is gone, which I don't think happens). I'd like a veteran blocker TE but there isn't any real place for him, and we need the roster spot.

The most interesting cuts to me that the Bills have made in the first cutdown is that in the past they have chopped players but then ironically turn around and sign them to the PS after the last cut. What they seem to do is target players whom they are pretty sure would make the PS but not the final roster.

If they waited until the final cutdown to waive them they run the risk that this player might be poached as an FA by another team. However, in the past they seemed to have cut a player early (likely told them that they were cut because it was judged they would not make the roster but even though they are free to sign elsewhere that the team has plans for them in the future if they are available (but they cannot talk about them right now as that is not allowed in the CBA.

When they make this cut early it serves to reduce interest in signing them elsewhere ac the player was a first cut reject by the hapless Bills (if they had lasted to the last cut then the rest of the league would look at them closely and the Bills might lose them.

My candidate for an early surprise cut is Moats. He clearly is a talented athlete, but in just two games he has shown how dangerous it is to count on this young player as he has made some critical mistakes. Still, I think though there is no way he likely makes the active roster I think he has shown enough such that the Bills may cut him now (diminishing opposition interest)but we sign him to our PS after all the cuts are done.

My candidate for an early surprise cut is Moats. He clearly is a talented athlete, but in just two games he has shown how dangerous it is to count on this young player as he has made some critical mistakes. Still, I think though there is no way he likely makes the active roster I think he has shown enough such that the Bills may cut him now (diminishing opposition interest)but we sign him to our PS after all the cuts are done.

Both possible and logical. My prediction, however, depending on the extent of Torbor's injury, is that they keep both Coleman and Moats on the active roster, and play them on special teams. They keep two veterans, Mitchell and Torbor, who can play both inside and outside in a pinch depending on injuries so you don't press the rookies into the games they can't handle yet. They keep Kelsay and Ellis as run stuffers and Maybin as the designated pass rusher. Kelsay and Torbor start (with Ellis getting the nod if either of those is out) and Maybin comes in on (some or most) nickel and dime formations. And they also use Bryan Scott as the coverage LB in obvious passing downs.

The wildcard to me is Woods, if they really like him or fear they cannot get away without another veteran in there. Ellis has been the surprise and I think they are more likely now to risk it a little.