Pat White might be released soon.

Justice

Parcells has had three GM positions: with the Jets, Cowboys, and Dolphins. During Parcells' time with the Jets, that team finished 9-7, 12-4, and 8-8. During Parcells' time as the Cowboys' GM/head coach, they finished 10-6, 6-10, 9-7, and 9-7. In two seasons as the Dolphins' GM, Parcells has gone 11-5 and 7-9.

During Parcells' first year as GM (for all three teams combined), his teams have averaged ten wins a season. During Parcells' subsequent years as GM, his teams have averaged 8.5 wins a season. At least based on the limited data available, it would appear Parcells qua GM is better at creating a dramatic improvement in year one of his tenure, than he is at sustaining and building on the initial improvement.

If an NFL team is to play at a high level over the course of a number of years, it will typically be because it has done a good job of assembling a good group of core players. Then you use free agency and lower draft picks to fill in the holes. Parcells' inability to achieve first-rate results over a sustained period of time suggests that his first-year successes have not primarily come from building a core of good, young football players. Instead, those first year improvements have come as a result of acquiring aging veterans who can still play well (such as Chad Pennington), large numbers of second-rate players who were better than the second-rate players they replaced, and a few core players. There's nothing wrong with any of that in and of itself. It's the inability to do an above-average job of building the core of the team over the long-term that's the problem.

Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself. I would like to add to the bolded part, though. Parcells' first year with each team he has coached had a bad record prior to his arrival as GM, therefore he had the luxury of having lower slotted draft picks. Give Parcells credit though, he had a tremendous knack for turning around struggling franchises, but everywhere he went he had no less than the 10th overall selection. The Giants picked 10th, the Pats 1st, the Jets 8th, Dallas 5th,and the Fins 1st overall, to be exact.

I'm sure this wasn't by accident. BP knew it took great draft positioning to turn a team around quickly. Food for thought if the Bills struggle badly this year. The question is, can we nail our picks????

Edited by b.harami98

Phins and Jets are over-rated. Pats* are old. Our team, regardless of what some of the keen football minds on this board know as fact, is a bit on an enigma. We are young, fast, and only on the upswing. We will the shocker this year.

So we're an enigma, but you know what will happen?

Good luck with that.

Possibly, but highly unlikely. Pat White only got three snaps in all of their preseason games and two of those snaps were to kneel the ball. He's a goner.

BTW. The all-mighty Parcells has really dropped the ball with some free agent signings as well as draft picks, such as, Pat White, Enest Wilford, Jake Grove, Gibril Wilson, Patrick Turner, Justin Smiley, Phillip Merling, and Akin Ayodele.

Yeah, he should give back the rings.

I think it's about time for the Bill Parcells Law Of Diminishing Returns (BPLODR for short) to kick in...the Fish are O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D this season.

Phins and Jets are over-rated. Pats* are old. Our team, regardless of what some of the keen football minds on this board know as fact, is a bit on an enigma. We are young, fast, and only on the upswing. We will the shocker this year.

Are the Jets overrated because they went to the AFCC game last year?

And who is hyping the Dolphins? They are overrated??

Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself. I would like to add to the bolded part, though. Parcells' first year with each team he has coached had a bad record prior to his arrival as GM, therefore he had the luxury of having lower slotted draft picks. Give Parcells credit though, he had a tremendous knack for turning around struggling franchises, but everywhere he went he had no less than the 10th overall selection. The Giants picked 10th, the Pats 1st, the Jets 8th, Dallas 5th,and the Fins 1st overall, to be exact.

I'm sure this wasn't by accident. BP knew it took great draft positioning to turn a team around quickly. Food for thought if the Bills struggle badly this year. The question is, can we nail our picks????

He also had the 1st pick with the Jets & traded down for more picks. So 3 of the 4 teams he went to after establishing himself with the Giants (can't count his Giants stint since he was a rookie head coach with a strong GM making the picks) he went to with the #1 pick. Bill Polian did the same thing in his last 2 jobs having the 1st pick with Carolina (traded down on that one) and going to Indy when Peyton Manning was there at #1.

Parcells has had three GM positions: with the Jets, Cowboys, and Dolphins. During Parcells' time with the Jets, that team finished 9-7, 12-4, and 8-8. During Parcells' time as the Cowboys' GM/head coach, they finished 10-6, 6-10, 9-7, and 9-7. In two seasons as the Dolphins' GM, Parcells has gone 11-5 and 7-9.

So in his nine years as GM he's had two losing seasons?

Where do I sign up for that?

Yeah, he should give back the rings.

The rings are relevant to a discussion of his ability as a head coach. They have no bearing on a discussion of his performance as a GM.

In nine seasons as GM, Parcells has led his teams to exactly one playoff win. That win occurred during his second year with the Jets. The following season, the Jets finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs. Parcells retired from the Jets after that.

One playoff win over nine years of GM-ing may seem great by the standards that we're used to, but that track record isn't up to the standards of the Scott Piolis and Bill Polians of the league.