southern bills fans

birdog1960

bristol rhythm and roots festival is just around the corner (sept17-19)brrr schedule. it's on the bristol tn/va border and within 3.5 hours of charlotte, knoxville, asheville, winston salem, raleigh and roanoke. $40 for a weekend pass for over 100 bands. always some surprising up and coming acts as well as old reliables. friendly, upbeat vibe. if you don't feel you've assimilated into the south, this would be a good start. for friday night, i recommend blue mother tupelo, grit pixies., new familiars, folk soul revival and del mccroury but everyone is bound to see an act they love. there's a bar within the festival with direct ticket (and many bars without it) so you can watch the bills sunday (without sound, as there's bands at every bar, coffee shop, theater and 4 stages). wear some bills stuff and show your roots!

Unknown Hinson is a good band that Adult Swim uses for their Squidbillies cartoon.

I live very close like 30-40 mins from it if that .......glad to see some local heads around

Have you ever been to brrr? look forward to it every year. been slowly checking out the bands i'm not familiar with via the links on the brrr site. felice brothers won best country album from the bbc last year and are playing big venues all over the country and internationally. the track i heard on their site was kinda unconventional and not too exciting however. anybody know anything else about them? will likely check them out but that's the beauty of brrr... if you don't like em you just move down state street to another group. their missing some standard acts this year like ralph stanley and dan tyminski (was the voice behind george clooney in "o brother where art thou") but it looks like their going for younger acts this year.

Nah, I haven't been but it does sound really nice and I think I'll check out the site here in a few mins.

Also, I'd love to hear Dan Tyminski. The music in the movie was great........and I rarely listen to that type of music ever in my house or car.

he's playing at down home in johnson city at the end of sept. nice place with good bands and a very good blues weekend once a year. i was one who turned up my nose at bluegrass for years but time and watching good talented bands over the years has changed that. it can get repetitive as the chord progressions are often very similar but the solos are often fantastic and there's no denying the ability in the players. you don't last in bluegrass if you aren't a very good musician. it's also part of the very fabric and culture of the south, especially appalachia...as much as farming and religion and they're all interconnected i think that's why so much of it is played with such emotion and soul. anyway, i get carried away....brrr has much more than bluegrass now- blues, country, folk, rock, jazz and americana are all there... and lots of hippies dancing wildly. :)

Edited by birdog1960

Make sure to check out Dr. Dog, they are one of my new favorite bands, they are a philly based band and have a really cool sound, and are an up and coming band

and of course Drive By Truckers should be a must see as well! And Del Mcoury band

bristol rhythm and roots festival is just around the corner (sept17-19)brrr schedule. it's on the bristol tn/va border and within 3.5 hours of charlotte, knoxville, asheville, winston salem, raleigh and roanoke. $40 for a weekend pass for over 100 bands. always some surprising up and coming acts as well as old reliables. friendly, upbeat vibe. if you don't feel you've assimilated into the south, this would be a good start. for friday night, i recommend blue mother tupelo, grit pixies., new familiars, folk soul revival and del mccroury but everyone is bound to see an act they love. there's a bar within the festival with direct ticket (and many bars without it) so you can watch the bills sunday (without sound, as there's bands at every bar, coffee shop, theater and 4 stages). wear some bills stuff and show your roots!

Edited by The Poojer