Here's my Training Camp Report from Saturday 8/21/10

Mike32282

As usual your reports are superb. Maybe you and Lt. Dan can get together and co-author your reports. Both of you seem to be mostly in accord at what you see in practice.

I like the way Chad Jackson is taking advantage of his opportunities. If Nelson gets back to health quickly I suspect that Hardy will be on the bubble. Most of the reports on him have him struggling. Nucci in a prior post stated that one of the former players made a comment to his brother that he wasn't too impressed with Hardy. He felt that he was making the same mistakes and his game was not advancing. Not a good sign for him.

Thanks again for your efforts.

A positive aspect to take from these reports is the fact that there will be quality players cut and not make it through waivers to the PS. It means that the team is getting better. It's too bad that the NFL trade maket is so illiquid because it would be nice to move some of these pieces for depth at some of our weaker areas.

Another great play by play report Mike, :thumbsup:

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

I would love him to make that jump with the starters on Saturday. That's what preseason is all about, let the guy go out there and earn it. Steve Johnson shouldn't be offended, it should make him work harder to let him know that the coaches are looking elsewhere.

I'd love to see that too. Right now, Steve Johnson is too comfortable as the #2...he needs to earn it and feel the pressure from Chad Jackson breathing down his neck. Make it a competition and the best one on Saturday wins the job.

I like what I've seen of Chad Jackson, he seems like a legit #2 NFL WR a little faster and more physical then Steve Johnson- I'm also pretty impressed with J.Bell, when the Bills picked him up I watched his college highlight videos and said wow- then I said "yeah but division 2" but he's done the same type of things here so far and he seems to have a well rounded game I was as impressed with his blocking as much as his running. I wouldn't be surprised if we went with 4 RBs this year with either Lynch or Jackson being traded.

He definitely fits the mold of a #2 WR. I just hope he can continue with his solid play and impress the coaches on Saturday too.

I couldn't see us trading Lynch or Jackson this year...but next year when their value is higher, I think we'll move one of them.

I don't see any way that Chad Simpson makes the team unless he beats out Bell, which I doubt. I don't think he adds anything as a KR as he would be about the #5 KR behind Leodis, Spiller, Freddie Jackson, and maybe even Roscoe or McGee. He'd never see the field.

Agreed...but I decided to think about the possibility. He's had a solid camp and looked good in the first 2 games too. I think it's a lot closer than other people believe right now.

thanks for the report!

No problem. Glad you liked it.

Let me try this board out...

Thanks again Mikey. My take on your extra points:

1. I think if Hardy is too hurt/not going to step up again, right now I'd like to see Chad starting... after watching the 1st 2 games, I think he would be a better compliment to Lee's game than Stevie, who doesn't look ready for prime time to me.

2. Most everyone will say keep Bell over Chad, and I would agree, though I don't think it really matters too much, Marshawn isn't going anywhere.

3. Keeping Coleman and dumping Kelsay is nothing but WIN. Still would like to see Chris Ellis starting on the left side though, I think he's looked pretty good so far, want to see more.

4. My favorite Bills players the past 10 years have been the scant few that exceed my expectations, and I'm a big George Wilson fan after last year. I think he will do fine filling in for Byrd.

5. I wouldn't miss Reggie Corner at all, don't care for the midget players, nothing personal, he's just too small. If he was making plays, maybe, but no way if he is getting burned. I would LOVE to see Youboty stay healthy AND get a lot of playing time instead.

1. I agree completely. Chad Jackson looks more polished and is a better possession receiver right now.

2. Agreed. Marshawn isn't going anywhere, at least for this year. But we still need to find a good one-two punch for the future and Spiller/Bell would be nice.

3. Chris Ellis is another player that I've been watching and impressed by. I could definitely see him earning a starting job.

4. Well said. George Wilson is a great guy and definitely one of my favorites.

5. I honestly thought Youboty was on his way out the door at the start of camp, now I'm thinking it might be Reggie Corner instead.

As usual your reports are superb. Maybe you and Lt. Dan can get together and co-author your reports. Both of you seem to be mostly in accord at what you see in practice.

I like the way Chad Jackson is taking advantage of his opportunities. If Nelson gets back to health quickly I suspect that Hardy will be on the bubble. Most of the reports on him have him struggling. Nucci in a prior post stated that one of the former players made a comment to his brother that he wasn't too impressed with Hardy. He felt that he was making the same mistakes and his game was not advancing. Not a good sign for him.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Good point. We definitely seem to be hitting on the same stuff. That makes me feel like I'm watching the right things. Chad Jackson and David Nelson have both had impressive camps and earned roster spots. James Hardy has been injured for most of camp and hasn't impressed. I think he's going to be cut.

Thanks Mike...great as usual!

Howza 'bout making a prediction for us? Based on your camp observations, who do you think will emerge as our #2..Fitz, or Brohm?

Alright, here goes...

#1 Trent Edwards

#2 Brian Brohm

#3 Levi Brown

But it could just as easily go like this...

1 Trent Edwards

2 Ryan Fitzpatrick

3 Brian Brohm

Levi Brown to the Practice Squad (he won't get scooped up. He hasn't shown enough, IMO)

A positive aspect to take from these reports is the fact that there will be quality players cut and not make it through waivers to the PS. It means that the team is getting better. It's too bad that the NFL trade maket is so illiquid because it would be nice to move some of these pieces for depth at some of our weaker areas.

Good point. I know that a lot of people were talking about how we have no depth, but I think that's changing and we have several positions where we have solid depth. The problem is that there are also some positions like OL and OLB and TE where we have zero depth.

Great report, Mike.

Corner hasn't looked too good this preseason, but the last thing I'm concerned about is his hands.

No, I shouldn't be concerned about his hands, but that on top of how bad he's been at covering receivers in the preseason definitely isn't helping him.

Alright, here goes...

#1 Trent Edwards

#2 Brian Brohm

#3 Levi Brown

But it could just as easily go like this...

1 Trent Edwards

2 Ryan Fitzpatrick

3 Brian Brohm

Levi Brown to the Practice Squad (he won't get scooped up. He hasn't shown enough, IMO)

OK, not sure how, in scenario #1 you think Fitz is given the pink slip, & in scenario #2, he's back-up to Edwards ahead of Brohm. Dang man, I thought you were our guru...now I find out you don't know any more than the rest of us. haha And ya know...I kinda disagree with you on Brown. Looking at his smooth release, combined with his stats last yr...along with the way his interviews reveal his character & fire...I think some team will snag him off the practice squad. If I had to bet, I would say your first scenario is the one.