The growing disconnect

This is one of the biggest NFL stories going the past two days and it hasn't been discussed here.

I think most everyone is aware that Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress sent three Minnesota Vikings players down to Mississippi to twist Brett Favre's arm and get him to report to Vikings Camp yesterday. The players involved, Ryan Longwell, Jared Allen, and Steve Hutchinson spoke openly about the trip after being spotted out by the media.

What many don't know is that Childress then decided not to meet with the media yesterday, and put two of his assistant coaches on the firing line and told them to lie about what I call the "Get Brett" mission. Childress attempted to cover up the trip…to make believe that it had never happened.

In other words, Childress sent the players down to Mississippi to get Favre and then was was too cowardly to face the media about it. He then asked two of his subordinates to lie to the media for him. One of the coaches told the media an outright lie while the other coach told a half lie. Special teams coach Brian Murphy, when asked about whether Longwell participated in practice said “We were kicking inside,” When asked directly if Longwell was at practice, Murphy said: “He was here, he was around.”

The first question is, why would Childress want to lie about this at all?

The second question is, why would Childress force his subordinates to lie for him, when everyone was already aware of what had transpired?

The biggest question is, what does this say about Brad Childress?

When I read the articles yesterday, I couldn't believe what I was reading and thought it would become a major issue.

It has indeed become a big issue but not only to the media...it's become a major issue for the Minnesota Vikings and their players too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aumr...ressvikes081810

That could be one of the biggest pieces of crap journalism I have read in a while....

Why is that Ray?

Cole appears to have all his fact straight.

He doesn't name players because why would he quote players and get them in trouble with the organization?

They would never speak to Cole "on the record" unless they were guaranteed anonymity.

Geez, nothing like making an emphatic and unequivocal comment and then not backing it up with a single reason. Why don't you share with us your idea of journalistic standards?

Well it appears Ray Finkle doesn't want to support his own comment.

As far as Rico and playman, I tend to agree.

I think most people have reached the point of indifference as far as anything to do with Favre goes.

And I never liked Childress as far as one can like or dislike someone based only on what they see and hear from afar.

But what makes this story different to me is that it's not about Childress losing on style points.

It's about him revealing something of his own character.

In other words, it's not about him being a douche, it's about him being a dishonest person…or a person of questionable judgement.

The other thing about the story that is apparently fascinating only to me is the irony that Favre decides to play one more season with the Vikings, in spite of the fact that he appears to have a growing "ambivalence" (one might say contempt) for his Head Coach.

Why is that Ray?

Cole appears to have all his fact straight.

He doesn't name players because why would he quote players and get them in trouble with the organization?

They would never speak to Cole "on the record" unless they were guaranteed anonymity.

Geez, nothing like making an emphatic and unequivocal comment and then not backing it up with a single reason. Why don't you share with us your idea of journalistic standards?

The entire article screams of sour grapes. Many members of the media, along with many fans, think they are entitled to know everything all the time.

Childress didn't want the media to know that some of the team leaders had gone to visit favre and instructed his coaches not to say anything about it. Boo hoo, they misled the media.

I don't care who his "source" is. To me, it sounds like a bitter player who was willing to run his mouth about stuff. Likely another qb on the roster if I had to hazard a guess.

If you think it is a well written article, that is fine. To me is sounds like a pissed off journalist who had a pissed off player as a source.

The entire article screams of sour grapes. Many members of the media, along with many fans, think they are entitled to know everything all the time.

Childress didn't want the media to know that some of the team leaders had gone to visit favre and instructed his coaches not to say anything about it. Boo hoo, they misled the media.

I don't care who his "source" is. To me, it sounds like a bitter player who was willing to run his mouth about stuff. Likely another qb on the roster if I had to hazard a guess.

If you think it is a well written article, that is fine. To me is sounds like a pissed off journalist who had a pissed off player as a source.

Well, I disagree but respect the fact that you bothered to reply.

I think it's really bizarre behavior for Childress to try to be secretive when everyone knew what was going on.

The credibility of himself, the organization really suffers. And I bet his assistants and the players weren't thrilled to be put in a position of having to be dishonest.

Aside from the basic issue of honesty, if Childress did a cost/benefit on his "strategy," he could have easily seen that it was the wrong decision…which then brings into question his decision-making ability as the de facto CEO of the Vikings.

Well, I disagree but respect the fact that you bothered to reply.

I think it's really bizarre behavior for Childress to try to be secretive when everyone knew what was going on.

The credibility of himself, the organization really suffers. And I bet his assistants and the players weren't thrilled to be put in a position of having to be dishonest.

Aside from the basic issue of honesty, if Childress did a cost/benefit on his "strategy," he could have easily seen that it was the wrong decision…which then brings into question his decision-making ability as the de facto CEO of the Vikings.

Sometime a situation can become so absurd that it isn't worth trying to evaluate. This nauseating pursuit of Diva Favre has become a grotesque charade. Everyone knew what the outcome was going to before the scenario played out. In this interminable drama Childress comes off as a craven and desperate HC who needs the narcissist knight to bail him out.

What wears thin is not the fraudulent indecision of Favre. It is the intense media coverage of a fake story that is most pathetic. This is a reflection of the era of celebrity and reality TV. It is made to be sucked up by airheads. It wasn't too long ago that the LeBron Show escalated into a media frenzy. His script was written a long time before the staged event. And still he had the gullible masses sitting on the edge of their seats to hear what the anoited one was going to do. Jim Grey used to have some credibility a long time ago in the sports media business. Now he is only a prop and a stooge for a basketball player who is very full of himself. It makes you want to puke.

Is Childress's authority and integrity being undercut by this embarrassing situation? My response to that question is that you have to have authority and integrity before you can lose it.

But once the cat was so obviously out of the bag, he looks like a complete clown by having his coaches deny or obfuscate.