Random thoughts re injuries, cuts and other matters

jahnyc

Some random thoughts below:

1. Injuries. This team has no luck. Losing Jackson and Lynch in the first quarter of the first preseason game is unbelievable. I wonder if this impacts the ability (and desire) of the front office to trade Lynch. I am concerned about Byrd's injury and that it will be chronic. It would make sense to me to not rush him back if additional rest will increase the odds of a successful recovery. We need him for the long term. One other thing. I find it odd that there has been so much focus on the injuries to Wang and Nelson. Is Wang, a low round pick, that vital to the o-line? Was he really expected to contribute this year? Same thing with Nelson, who was not drafted. Does this mean that Hardy is in trouble, since Evans, Parrish and Johnson seem like locks to make the team?

2. Cuts. With all of the positive comments about Ellis, I feel like we are being prepared for Kelsay to be cut. I know that he has many detractors on this board, but I believe that he will contribute this year and we need depth. I also understand that Mitchell may not start this year, but with Poz's injury issues, I think it makes a lot of sense to keep Mitchell on the roster. Same with Parrish, given the lack of quality wrs after Evans. The front office always seems to be looking for ways to reduce payroll by releasing veterans. I hope this is not the case this year.

3. Rock Bottom. I think we will hit rock bottom this year. What concerns me is the long road ahead. We may have the worst group of QBs and offensive tackles in the NFL. Our wide receivers are unproven and inexperienced after Evans. We need a franchise QB, two offensive tackles, a quality outside linebacker, a quality tight end and some quality wide receivers. Even if we bottom out this year and draft at the top of each round next year, we will not be able to fill all of our needs. Plus it will take time for these players to develop and contribute. This is not a one or even two year rebuilding process.

4. Ownership. If Kelly really has been lining up a possible ownership group, I wonder if Stanley Drunkenmiller is the lead person. He is a hedge fund guy who wanted to buy the Steelers. This would be the type of deep pocket owner that would be needed to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Injuries - Nobody to IR yet so not a huge deal. Injures are part of the game. Several teams in the NFL have already put starters to IR. Pittsburg and NE for example. I don't expect Wang to contribute at all this year unless injuries happen.

Cuts - Kelsay will probably start. We haven't seen him perform yet and there are some pass rush concerns. Kelsey used to have 5ish Sacks a year at DE. Lets see what he can do. I like Ellis he plays hard. I would prefer him over Maybin. I also expect Mitchell to start. Him and Poz in the middle is the best option in my opinion. I think the Bills fully intended to bring in Andre to help with the 3-4 transition with intentions of starting Mitchell eventually.

Rock Bottom - What's rock bottom the first pick in the draft? If you are basing this opinion on what you say in the first preseason game then you are jumping to conclusions. Wait till game 3 of the preseason to jump off the ledge. If we dont' see marked improvement by then its cause for concern. The offense looked good at times and horrible at times against Washington. Same with the defense. It's going to take time for the coaching staff and players to setting into their new environments.

Ownership - I hope someone buys the Bills and keeps them local.

1. Injuries. This team has no luck. Losing Jackson and Lynch in the first quarter of the first preseason game is unbelievable. I wonder if this impacts the ability (and desire) of the front office to trade Lynch. I am concerned about Byrd's injury and that it will be chronic. It would make sense to me to not rush him back if additional rest will increase the odds of a successful recovery. We need him for the long term. One other thing. I find it odd that there has been so much focus on the injuries to Wang and Nelson. Is Wang, a low round pick, that vital to the o-line? Was he really expected to contribute this year? Same thing with Nelson, who was not drafted. Does this mean that Hardy is in trouble, since Evans, Parrish and Johnson seem like locks to make the team?

2. Cuts. With all of the positive comments about Ellis, I feel like we are being prepared for Kelsay to be cut. I know that he has many detractors on this board, but I believe that he will contribute this year and we need depth. I also understand that Mitchell may not start this year, but with Poz's injury issues, I think it makes a lot of sense to keep Mitchell on the roster. Same with Parrish, given the lack of quality wrs after Evans. The front office always seems to be looking for ways to reduce payroll by releasing veterans. I hope this is not the case this year.

3. Rock Bottom. I think we will hit rock bottom this year. What concerns me is the long road ahead. We may have the worst group of QBs and offensive tackles in the NFL. Our wide receivers are unproven and inexperienced after Evans. We need a franchise QB, two offensive tackles, a quality outside linebacker, a quality tight end and some quality wide receivers. Even if we bottom out this year and draft at the top of each round next year, we will not be able to fill all of our needs. Plus it will take time for these players to develop and contribute. This is not a one or even two year rebuilding process.

4. Ownership. If Kelly really has been lining up a possible ownership group, I wonder if Stanley Drunkenmiller is the lead person. He is a hedge fund guy who wanted to buy the Steelers. This would be the type of deep pocket owner that would be needed to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Good post...I agree that Kelsay may get cut. I just don't see him transitioning to outside linebacker. First time i have heard Drunkenmiller's name in the Bills ownership convo. Did you actually hear something or is it pure conjecture on your part?

My thinking exactly. Kelsay is donezo. I have been predicting since January, so I guess you could say I read the recent news reports with some built-in bias, but I do believe Ellis is being profiled to explain why Kelsay was expendable. And if one thing was made clear last season with the Walker release, it's that Ralph does not pay $3 million + per year for backups. Also why I would not be surprised to see Kawicka get the axe.

Interesting point about Druckenmiller. Would be interesting to see how committed he'd been to keeping the team in WNY though.

:rolleyes: 1. We are not alone in suffering injuries but it sure seems like the Bills are jinxed. Nelson looked like he was going to be our #4 WR and he still might be. There was no way he was going to push out Evans, Johnson, or Parrish from the top 3 slots but after that the field is wide open and Gailey appears to honestly not care where you were drafted but whether you can play. Nelson showed he can play on ST and in the offense (just hope he is not injury prone). Hardy is still in trouble with Roosevelt, Jackson, and Jones all playing better than he has been plus his injuries don't help him. We weren't going to trade Lynch anyhow but now we all the trade the BEAST advocates can understand the value of having more than one top line RB in the line-up. Wang is a rookie and it is extremely rare for a rookie to crack a starting line-up because it takes time to learn the NFL system (Bell was going through this learning curve last year, which was his first true year in the NFL) so if he made the line-up it would have been as a back-up but he was more a PS candidate.

2. I love hearing how Ellis is stepping up ... this kid is showing a willingness to learn and work hard. Although Kelsay still may be starting it looks like Ellis is doing all he can to become a starting LB in the 3-4 system the Bills are using.Mitchell is not going anywhere but his starting days may be over ... he's a guy who is going to have to apply himself and his injury last year isn't helping him. Roscoe is not on the cutting list, it sounds like Gailey has big plans for him.

3. I have more faith in the potential of Bell and even Meredith than this board does. It takes time for young tackles to develop. I will not declare that we have the worst set of tackles until I see a few games ... obviously as a fan I hope that we have at least a good set of tackles but it is possible they might be better than good. After preseason game #1 it looks like we have the same Trent Edwards but maybe coaching will help or Brohm will have the answer ... I do know what I saw of Levi made me feel good (unlike Howard Simon and the GR sports list makers I did watch the entire game last week and replayed Brown's performance). I think we have what we need at the outside LB position and wide receiver slot especially if Nelson returns quickly as our #4 guy. TE with Stupar or even Nelson we might be able to make some down field plays that go for more than 3 yards so I am more optimistic than you.

4. Ownership ... well, first, if any NFL team or teams are moving the Bills won't be the first one. I think we are pretty safe but it would be great for someone with deep pockets and a local connection to put some money out for the team. Another post talked about the rumor that some team may be selling 40% of the team this fall due to estate issues so that could be the Bills too. But, with our ticket sales and stadium situation I don't see the Bills moving any time soon if ever. And, what the heck ... there isn't even going to be a season next year.

GO BILLS!! :thumbsup:

Druckenmiller just announced this week that he's retiring from running his hedge fund (Duquesne Capital)--frees up his calendar to run the Bills!

True...but he's still a big Steelers fan, and said recently in interviews since his retirement that he will continue to follow the Steelers. Doubt it's him, but I wouldn't mind - he's a great man that has done great things in the hedge fund world. Donates millions to many causes too, which is always good to hear :worthy: