Comp Question

BUFFALOTONE

Question: We have a lap top, I hardly ever use it due to the fact that I am staring at a computer for the better part of the day and don't want to do it when I get home. We have a Gateway, seems nice does everything we need etc etc. I went to plug in my ipod to download some tunes, when I powered on, the Gateway screen came on like it was trying to load (which is not normal) usual its windows that uploads.

So the lap top keeps getting stuck on the screen, I have taken the battery out in hopes of re-setting it and still no go. Only thing that worked was I let the battery die and when I turned it back on it worked fine. I shut it back down and tried to restart it normally and it went right to the Gateway screen again, it seems like it is trying to load something but gets hung up for some reason.

Computer whizzes, any ideas what this may be? Thanks.

Smart Ass remarks are welcome as well.

Sounds like it's hanging before the POST (Power On Self Test) completes. Could be a variety of things, including the battery on the mother board being dead.

Or it could be that you're a moron for buying a friggin' Gateway and the computer Gods are letting you know in their very special way. (J/K)

Sounds like it's hanging before the POST (Power On Self Test) completes. Could be a variety of things, including the battery on the mother board being dead.

Or it could be that you're a moron for buying a friggin' Gateway and the computer Gods are letting you know in their very special way. (J/K)

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the info. And my IT guy said the same thing after I bought it. Actually the wife picked it out and I paid for it so there you go. I use it for Fantasy Football/Ipod and that's about it. She downloads the pics of the baby from her camera and Facebooks.

So should I just buy a new battery? My wife and MIL love to leave the damn thing running all day even if no one is home or using it, drives me nuts. Could the battery be dying?

Question: We have a lap top, I hardly ever use it due to the fact that I am staring at a computer for the better part of the day and don't want to do it when I get home. We have a Gateway, seems nice does everything we need etc etc. I went to plug in my ipod to download some tunes, when I powered on, the Gateway screen came on like it was trying to load (which is not normal) usual its windows that uploads.

So the lap top keeps getting stuck on the screen, I have taken the battery out in hopes of re-setting it and still no go. Only thing that worked was I let the battery die and when I turned it back on it worked fine. I shut it back down and tried to restart it normally and it went right to the Gateway screen again, it seems like it is trying to load something but gets hung up for some reason.

Computer whizzes, any ideas what this may be? Thanks.

Smart Ass remarks are welcome as well.

I have to ask the obvious, been burned too many times by not asking, but you did unplug your ipod and try to boot, right? May want to check your setting to ensure it's booting from the HDD first, should be, but it is a Gateway...

I have to ask the obvious, been burned too many times by not asking, but you did unplug your ipod and try to boot, right? May want to check your setting to ensure it's booting from the HDD first, should be, but it is a Gateway...

I didn't do that I don't think. My IT guy asked me the same question as well. I have a few things to try once I get home. Thanks.

So should I just buy a new battery? My wife and MIL love to leave the damn thing running all day even if no one is home or using it, drives me nuts. Could the battery be dying?

Not the computer battery. There's a watch type battery on the mother board that helps the PC keep basic settings. There's a small chance it died.

There's a better chance that your BIOS is set to boot from USB devices before your HDD and that's the problem. I don't remember how to get into a Gateway's BIOS but I'm sure it's not too difficult.

Not the computer battery. There's a watch type battery on the mother board that helps the PC keep basic settings. There's a small chance it died.

There's a better chance that your BIOS is set to boot from USB devices before your HDD and that's the problem. I don't remember how to get into a Gateway's BIOS but I'm sure it's not too difficult.

Thanks. I will take a look at it when I get home. Appreciate the help.

if that's the case, could he not just disconnect the USB device, boot the pc and drive on?