Toronto Sun: Gotta hand it to Spiller

Skoobydum

If there is a reason to dig into your pocket book and shell out some cash for a Bills exhibition game, his name is C.J. Spiller.

Fortunately for Toronto football fans, not only will they see Spiller in action, should they choose to head down to the Rogers Centre tonight, they’ll see a whole lot more than they normally would.

Spiller, the man the Bills used their first-round pick on, ninth overall, jumps into the role of starting running back with both Marshawn Lynch (ankle) and Fred Jackson (hand) hurt in the Bills’ first pre-season game against Washington.

“It’s awful but it’s a good opportunity for me to step up and show the coaches what I can do,” Spiller said of Thursday’s tilt against the Indianapolis Colts. “I’ve got to try to gain their confidence and contribute to the offence.”

Dynamics

Spiller comes with a college resume that suggests he has the chance to be a dynamic NFL player.

In his senior year at Clemson, Spiller rushed for more than 1,200 yards, added 500 yards in receptions and found the end zone 16 times.

He was a unanimous choice as an ACC all-American and was named ACC player of the year.

How all of that translates to the NFL game, not even Spiller is sure yet, but he does know he is getting a rare opportunity to start in just his second time on the field against NFL competition.

“Of course, you want to go out and prove everyone wrong,” Spiller said on Wednesday. “But that’s not my mindset. I’ve done all that in college. I proved that I can carry the ball my last year in college and still be durable throughout the game. Everybody wants to talk about this being the NFL but, at the end of the day, it’s still football. This is my time to step up and try to get through the pre-season and get comfortable in the NFL.”

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/...8/15068926.html

“It’s awful but it’s a good opportunity for me to step up and show the coaches what I can do,” Spiller said of Thursday’s tilt against the Indianapolis Colts. “I’ve got to try to gain their confidence and contribute to the offence.”

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing Spiller sad "...contribute to the offense" and the Canadian reporter transcribed it incorrectly.

:wallbash: