QB, Pass Rush, LT

....for a team that looks like the Bills right now. You add these three pieces and finally, the playoff talk can begin. What is so painful to think about is that these 3 pieces are by far the hardest to obtain. It is too bad that Jauron was not let go one year earlier as at least the LT or DE could have been filled......

....for a team that looks like the Bills right now. You add these three pieces and finally, the playoff talk can begin. What is so painful to think about is that these 3 pieces are by far the hardest to obtain. It is too bad that Jauron was not let go one year earlier as at least the LT or DE could have been filled......

The left tackle was in place but was traded to Philly. Clearly, Maybin will never be the DE that was envisioned. And the Qb, that will come in the 2011 draft where the Bills are positioning themselves nicely for the #1 pick.

And a #2 and #3 WR, a productive TE, 2 more stud LBs and production from our "land of misfit toys" defensive line. The ONLY place this team is set our kickers and DBs...well, maybe RB too. But this team is a LONG way from the playoffs.

And a #2 and #3 WR, a productive TE, 2 more stud LBs and production from our "land of misfit toys" defensive line. The ONLY place this team is set our kickers and DBs...well, maybe RB too. But this team is a LONG way from the playoffs.

As poor as the secondary played against Washington, the concern that the switch of defensive schemes may not be the best thing for those guys has grown a bit of legs.

Most important "positions/phases" to be successful in the NFL (a little different than the OPs)

1-QB

2-OL

3-Pass Rush

Bills Worst 3 "positions/phases"

1-QB

2-OL

3-Pass Rush

And people wonder why we havnt made the playoffs in ten years.

Most important "positions/phases" to be successful in the NFL (a little different than the OPs)

1-QB

2-OL

3-Pass Rush

1-QB

2-OL

3-Pass Rush

Don't forget run defense - we were near the bottom in that too, any everyone agrees you have to stop the run.

1-OL

2-QB

3-Pass Rush

1-OL

2-QB

3-Pass Rush

Fixed.

and NO I don't

1-QB

2-OL

3-Pass Rush

1-QB

2-OL

3-Pass Rush

This was precisely why I made this thread......The Bills have none of the 3 most important pieces to a football team..NONE. Not too tough to figure out why they are where they are.....

When was the last time the Bills drafted a QB with their top pick? Even Kelly and Losman were taken after Hunter and Evans.

Do the 1st's that were traded for Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe count?

As poor as the secondary played against Washington, the concern that the switch of defensive schemes may not be the best thing for those guys has grown a bit of legs.

[/quote

DBs will always suffer when the front 7 stinks. That front 7 will stink for at least the 1st 4 games. Maybe longer. You have guys all over the place playing new positions being coached by a guy who has never done it before. There WILL be growing pains. My guess is we start at least 0-4.

I mean, to some extent, it's hard to put too fine a point on it. You need to run, pass, stop the run, and stop the pass. We can run. This year, we decided to get a little better at running. 1/4 will never cut it.

Contrast that with the Redskins, who at 4-12 last season experienced plenty of change. New GM, HC, QB and different defensive scheme.

I dare say the Skins are more committed to winning, and they've found a QB, allocated resources to the OT position, and are improving their pass rush in one year. Nowhere does it say it's impossible to rebuild in a shorter span. Atlanta and Miami have done it. Washington might well too.

Don't forget run defense - we were near the bottom in that too, any everyone agrees you have to stop the run.

Good Point. I guess thats 4th? So Bills are 0 for 4 on 4 most important thingsw to football. Great.

Fixed.

and NO I don't

Rhetorical

This was precisely why I made this thread......The Bills have none of the 3 most important pieces to a football team..NONE. Not too tough to figure out why they are where they are.....

Embarrassing. Simply embarrassing.

DBs will always suffer when the front 7 stinks. That front 7 will stink for at least the 1st 4 games. Maybe longer. You have guys all over the place playing new positions being coached by a guy who has never done it before. There WILL be growing pains. My guess is we start at least 0-4.

True. But, Jauron stacked this defense with guys to fit the Tampa-2. We will have to play those guys whether they are misfits for a more aggressive, pressing man-to-man scheme or not.

This experiment has the downside that it could come off every bit as awkward as the famous switch to the "No Huddle" offense did in the 2009 season. I hope not and I hope some of these cats can change their stripes, but this isn't the Heavy Fewell system any more...

I re-watched the first half of the Bills-Redskins pre-season game and came away quite impressed with Meredith's pass blocking. He kept his man (Orakpo and Vonnie Holliday) from getting pressure on Trent for all but 1 play, on which admittedly he gets schooled by Holliday. Orakpo had 1 hit on Trent, but that was after Trent had thrown the ball (after 3.5 seconds) and came from behind Trent, so he didn't hurry Trent's throw.

I'm curious to see what Bell had got. If he shows enough, Meredith could be in line to start at RT. Getting Wood back will also help.

I re-watched the first half of the Bills-Redskins pre-season game and came away quite impressed with Meredith's pass blocking. He kept his man (Orakpo and Vonnie Holliday) from getting pressure on Trent for all but 1 play, on which admittedly he gets schooled by Holliday. Orakpo had 1 hit on Trent, but that was after Trent had thrown the ball (after 3.5 seconds) and came from behind Trent, so he didn't hurry Trent's throw.

I'm curious to see what Bell had got. If he shows enough, Meredith could be in line to start at RT. Getting Wood back will also help.

Doc, if I recall correctly aren't you one of the guys here that told us that RT Green is a more than an adequate right tackle. Now, you willing to replace him with Bell?

I actually think we went a way toward filling our defense this year. We have Carrington, Troupe, Williams on the D-line that are young - and Dwan Edwards still has three years in him at least, if he doesn't get injured. On the linebacking corps, we have Batten, Moats, Coleman, who are rookies, and Maybin who is rookie aged. Then we have Poz, who is young. There's five guys who could play for another 8-10 years. Over the course of the next two seasons we'll probably add an OLB and a DE, but otherwise, on defense I think we did well this year to prepare for a run.

On offense, as young as we are, we still need two good tackles, and maybe a good center, or move Wood to center and get another guard, so, either way, next year we should bring in three new O-linemen - and that would give us a young line that could play together for a decade. We'll need a QB - which I think we grab with our 1 pick. we'll need a WR, even though I really like our group of young WR's - Nelson, Jones, Roosevelt, and Steve Johnson - I think adding one electrifying WR would be nice. If we don't, though, and if our young WR's show promise this year, it's not too big - our guys just need to show they can get open this year. So, on offense, we need QB, (2) Tackles, C, WR - 4 or 5 guys.

Thats about six or seven upgrades. You figure we can add an upgrade at QB, and three other positions in a good draft. That leaves another year of draft, or really outstanding later round picks, or F.A.'s. I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed a free agent LT next year, after seeing the list of the available ones to sign next year. In fact, we could fix our O-line problems with free agency next year, get our QB with the 1 pick, our OLB with our 2 or any combination of picks to get a good one, and maybe get a talented WR or DE with the 3 pick.

In all, next year's season will really be the test we need to see how good this front office and coaching staff is. This season will be a foundation year, a get to know the talent on the roster year. We have a lot of young players. If they do a stellar job of free agency and drafting next year, and coach well, there's no reason to think we can't be a playoff team again in 2011 and be good thereafter for years.

Doc, if I recall correctly aren't you one of the guys here that told us that RT Green is a more than an adequate right tackle. Now, you willing to replace him with Bell?

No, with Meredith. Assuming Bell shows something at LT and Green continues to miss time.

I actually think we went a way toward filling our defense this year. We have Carrington, Troupe, Williams on the D-line that are young - and Dwan Edwards still has three years in him at least, if he doesn't get injured. On the linebacking corps, we have Batten, Moats, Coleman, who are rookies, and Maybin who is rookie aged. Then we have Poz, who is young. There's five guys who could play for another 8-10 years. Over the course of the next two seasons we'll probably add an OLB and a DE, but otherwise, on defense I think we did well this year to prepare for a run.

On offense, as young as we are, we still need two good tackles, and maybe a good center, or move Wood to center and get another guard, so, either way, next year we should bring in three new O-linemen - and that would give us a young line that could play together for a decade. We'll need a QB - which I think we grab with our 1 pick. we'll need a WR, even though I really like our group of young WR's - Nelson, Jones, Roosevelt, and Steve Johnson - I think adding one electrifying WR would be nice. If we don't, though, and if our young WR's show promise this year, it's not too big - our guys just need to show they can get open this year. So, on offense, we need QB, (2) Tackles, C, WR - 4 or 5 guys.

Thats about six or seven upgrades. You figure we can add an upgrade at QB, and three other positions in a good draft. That leaves another year of draft, or really outstanding later round picks, or F.A.'s. I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed a free agent LT next year, after seeing the list of the available ones to sign next year. In fact, we could fix our O-line problems with free agency next year, get our QB with the 1 pick, our OLB with our 2 or any combination of picks to get a good one, and maybe get a talented WR or DE with the 3 pick.

In all, next year's season will really be the test we need to see how good this front office and coaching staff is. This season will be a foundation year, a get to know the talent on the roster year. We have a lot of young players. If they do a stellar job of free agency and drafting next year, and coach well, there's no reason to think we can't be a playoff team again in 2011 and be good thereafter for years.

I agree that we have a lot of unproven young guys on our roster and we have several areas of need that you have pointed out. No one really knows how we will progress or regress. This year will give us a lot more information. Personally, I don't see the Bills current and potential state of affairs as positively as you do. I certainly cannot agree with "there's no reason to think we can't be a playoff team again in 2011 and good thereafter for years." I really need to see more in order to for me to make such a statement.