What I seriously hate about American pop culture

Let's be intellectually honest here. It's not like he was an established Senator who ran for the Presidency.

Care to cite any of his landmark legislation during his illustrious Senate career?

Yes, to be HONEST, he was an elected Senator who ran for the Presidency. To try and parse that down further defeats anything I might call "intellectually honest".

Let's be intellectually honest here. It's not like he was an established Senator who ran for the Presidency. He was a community organizer who rode a speech from 2004 into an easy Senate win over Alan F'n Keyes (major accomplishment) where he served for all of about 10 minutes before running for the Presidency.

Care to cite any of his landmark legislation during his illustrious Senate career?

And the only reason Keyes was the nominee was because Mike Freakin Ditka decided not to run

And the only reason Ditka even considered running was because Jack Ryan's little sexcapades were leaked by his wife Jeri, aka Seven of Nine

I'd assimilate that :D

I fart Unicorns. What can I tell you?

Of course I'm going to be right. The 2 parties that run this country stopped caring about anything but their own relevance a long time ago. George Washington saw the writing on the wall before he'd even left office and he's been proven right.

I'm not sure there's a way to make it get better because it would take a complete overhaul of citizen attitudes and the system. Our society doesn't have the stones for it.

Well, that, and, this way, no matter how people see the world, and no matter how right they are about some things, they won't be right about everything, and that leaves the opening for you to come in and say: "see, I told you so".

Yes, no matter what, politicians who have actual economic ability and act as such are going to make mistakes, but I still want them to be in charge rather then the politicians who have 0 economic ability.

This is why I am for term limits, and also for why I think we should amend the constitution to require 5 year mandatory participation in both the public and private sectors before one can run for office.

Well, that, and, this way, no matter how people see the world, and no matter how right they are about some things, they won't be right about everything, and that leaves the opening for you to come in and say: "see, I told you so".

I'd ask you WTF you're talking about but I'm afraid you'd go off on another of your tangents. Those always end with "you're attacking me for things I'm not saying" - an act that is very old and extremely hypocritical (you're doing it right here).

Yes, no matter what, politicians who have actual economic ability and act as such are going to make mistakes, but I still want them to be in charge rather then the politicians who have 0 economic ability.

That describes very few of them. Personally, I'd rather have politicians who've read the Constitution and are willing to govern by it. I don't think either of us are going to be very happy.

This is why I am for term limits, and also for why I think we should amend the constitution to require 5 year mandatory participation in both the public and private sectors before one can run for office.

I'm for "Term Limits" but I think the other idea is pretty much folly.

It really bothers me to no end that the majority of Americans can tell you more about who was eliminated on American Idol or what celebrity is in rehab now... than they actually know about the war on terror and about Iraq and Afghanistan.

Its terrible that so many people in this country have no friggin clue that we are in a war where SO MUCH is being asked of so FEW in our society to serve our country and the American population in general has no clue and doesn't want to be botherd with it but just continue on with their lives and not even stop and think.

I just think its terrible that so many people could care less and take our country and our military for granted.

Unfortunately after You reach a certain age there is no one to tell you no cartoons till you do your homework. Thinking about global issues requires some effort so it is ignored in favor of the itchy and scratchy show.

Unfortunately after You reach a certain age there is no one to tell you no cartoons till you do your homework. Thinking about global issues requires some effort so it is ignored in favor of the itchy and scratchy show.

They fight

They fight

They fight they fight they fight

Fight fight fight

Fight fight fight

The Itchy and Scratchy Show

I'd ask you WTF you're talking about but I'm afraid you'd go off on another of your tangents. Those always end with "you're attacking me for things I'm not saying" - an act that is very old and extremely hypocritical (you're doing it right here).

Look, I find it hard to believe that you don't know what I am talking about, and this coy act is also very old and extremely hypocritical. Yeah, nuance is such a waste of time. Words don't mean things, let's just rely on your assumptions. :D

If you say that the system is broken, fine, but it's what we have to work with right now. We already tried the massive "change" thing, with Clinton and with Obama, and in the first 2 years of both, it got us nothing but stupidity. The only way to truly change things is to do the hard work of gradually changing things for the better over time.

I am simply saying that anybody can say "you're all stupid", and be right some of the time. There's nothing insightful in that. I am betting you know that, but you'd rather be coy and try to make it about me.

That describes very few of them. Personally, I'd rather have politicians who've read the Constitution and are willing to govern by it. I don't think either of us are going to be very happy.

I would be extremely happy if politicians read the instruction manual and only lived by it, and not this jackass agenda we have seen since FDR/LBJ. Ultimately, I would love to see a lot more problems solved at the local level, and only involve the Feds in things that are truly national issues. I would love to see the Feds stop cajoling the states and/or paying them off to accept their horseschit mandates.

And, please don't misconstrue: if I call somebody an a-hole, it doesn't mean that I don't support their right to be an a-hole, or want to take that right away, I am not a liberal after all. I don't think I can stop people from being idiots by passing laws and creating massive government programs that only move the a-hole behavior from once place to another.

I'm for "Term Limits" but I think the other idea is pretty much folly.

Sure it is, that's just my frustration talking. But, perhaps rather than an amendment, we just simply start talking about that as a qualification for office. Oh, but that's right, we'd have to rely on the media for that....never mind.

They fight

They fight

They fight they fight they fight

Fight fight fight

Fight fight fight

Excuse me, but I have to display my Simpsons nerd side here...

They fight

They bite

They fight and fight and bite

Fight fight fight

Bite bite bite

Look, I find it hard to believe that you don't know what I am talking about, and this coy act is also very old and extremely hypocritical. Yeah, nuance is such a waste of time. Words don't mean things, let's just rely on your assumptions. :D

Cool?

If you say that the system is broken, fine, but it's what we have to work with right now. We already tried the massive "change" thing, with Clinton and with Obama, and in the first 2 years of both, it got us nothing but stupidity. The only way to truly change things is to do the hard work of gradually changing things for the better over time.

Actually, we've never tried any "change" thing. Just because they campaign on a slogan doesn't mean that's how they govern. Quite the contrary. The Obama Administration's first real act was "Trickle Down Economics" at its finest. The liberals loved it/the Republicans hated it. Too funny.

I'll agree that change will come slowly but only because it has to. You can't tear down the military/industrial complex overnight without putting a large percentage of Americans out of work anymore than you can wean people off the government teat in less than a generation.

I am simply saying that anybody can say "you're all stupid", and be right some of the time. There's nothing insightful in that. I am betting you know that, but you'd rather be coy and try to make it about me.

I gave up on insightful a long time ago. No one cares and I'm tired of wasting my time coddling the terminally stupid.

I would be extremely happy if politicians read the instruction manual and only lived by it, and not this jackass agenda we have seen since FDR/LBJ. Ultimately, I would love to see a lot more problems solved at the local level, and only involve the Feds in things that are truly national issues. I would love to see the Feds stop cajoling the states and/or paying them off to accept their horseschit mandates.

Somehow I think payola is here to stay. Unless we go broke. Wait for it.

And, please don't misconstrue: if I call somebody an a-hole, it doesn't mean that I don't support their right to be an a-hole, or want to take that right away, I am not a liberal after all. I don't think I can stop people from being idiots by passing laws and creating massive government programs that only move the a-hole behavior from once place to another.

Hmmmm.

Sure it is, that's just my frustration talking. But, perhaps rather than an amendment, we just simply start talking about that as a qualification for office. Oh, but that's right, we'd have to rely on the media for that....never mind.

I think term limits/removal of long term benefits would stop a lot of what's going on. In very short order.