Lost Star Wars Return of the Jedi Opening

/dev/null

May be the "straw" breaking my procrastination around upgrading to blu-ray. Pretty cool.

I won't buy anything until they remove Hayden Christensen from the ending of Jedi and restore the original celebration music at the end. It actually bridges into the closing theme unlike what they've switched to now.

I won't buy anything until they remove Hayden Christensen from the ending of Jedi and restore the original celebration music at the end. It actually bridges into the closing theme unlike what they've switched to now.

+1

The changed ending to Jedi is terrible. Adding something I could have lived with but completely changing ruined the whole thing for me, even if the ewok song was kind of corny.

+1

The changed ending to Jedi is terrible. Adding something I could have lived with but completely changing ruined the whole thing for me, even if the ewok song was kind of corny.

Definitely corny, but at least it fit the mood. What they have in there now is completely generic and sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm guessing John Williams had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And yes, I realize there were other changes in the 3 movies that aren't so welcomed by most fans. I just happened to watch Jedi on Spike TV yesterday so it's fresh in my memory.

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My objection to Han shooting first is less about being a Star Wars fan and more about being a bit of a film buff. Lucas, with that one change, demonstrated he knew jack **** about character and plot development.

Still nerdy...but a different type.

My objection to Han shooting first is less about being a Star Wars fan and more about being a bit of a film buff. Lucas, with that one change, demonstrated he knew jack **** about character and plot development.

Now you've got me thinknig of the Burton Batman movie where they made the Joker the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents. His motivation for being Batman was completely shot after the ending of that movie.

Thank you. That single change screwed with the entire movie. That and adding a !@#$ing beak on the Sarlaac.

Lucas knew about character and plot development...a long time ago... :D

Seriously though, that's why the original trilogy was so great. You cared about the characters AND the story. Now it wasn't Shakespeare (sorry, Alec Guinness), but who talks like that anyway? The latest trilogy didn't make me feel for the characters or the storyline.

But whether the change was a function of Lucas losing the ability he showed in the first trilogy, or wanting to sanctify the now iconic (versus then when he was a nobody) Solo by making his actions self-defense and not murder, is open for debate. I'd say it's more of the latter. But still, he shouldn't have changed it.

Lucas knew about character and plot development...a long time ago... :D

Seriously though, that's why the original trilogy was so great. You cared about the characters AND the story. Now it wasn't Shakespeare (sorry, Alec Guinness), but who talks like that anyway? The latest trilogy didn't make me feel for the characters or the storyline.

But whether the change was a function of Lucas losing the ability he showed in the first trilogy, or wanting to sanctify the now iconic (versus then when he was a nobody) Solo by making his actions self-defense and not murder, is open for debate. I'd say it's more of the latter. But still, he shouldn't have changed it.

I'd say it was more of the latter to...but either way, Lucas fundamentally misses the point that Solo's entire development through the film is about his redemption and him coming to believe in something bigger than himself, which is a story arc that is completely gutted with the change to Han not shooting first.

What's more, that entire arc plays off Luke's wide-eyed idealistic innocence as a "farm boy in the big world"...so not only does that change gut Han's story, it greivously wounds Luke's story as well. Basically, with that one change, the movie becomes nothing more than a story about a beeping trash can on wheels and his effete, blinged-out sidekick.

Basically, with that one change, the movie becomes nothing more than a story about a beeping trash can on wheels and his effete, blinged-out sidekick.

I was thinking about that the other day when I caught part of Return Of The Jedi on TV. Here's a band of rebels, in camouflage sneaking through the woods of Endor, and who is with them? A 6 foot tall shiny gold robot and another short blinding white one. I'm sure they won't stand out among all the green and brown trees.

I'd say it was more of the latter to...but either way, Lucas fundamentally misses the point that Solo's entire development through the film is about his redemption and him coming to believe in something bigger than himself, which is a story arc that is completely gutted with the change to Han not shooting first.

What's more, that entire arc plays off Luke's wide-eyed idealistic innocence as a "farm boy in the big world"...so not only does that change gut Han's story, it greivously wounds Luke's story as well. Basically, with that one change, the movie becomes nothing more than a story about a beeping trash can on wheels and his effete, blinged-out sidekick.

I disagree slightly. Yes, it is a huge change and I cursed Lucas for it. Han can still be fairly grey without shooting first though. Curious to your take on how that significantly impacts Luke's character. He still retains the wide eyed innocence.

I was thinking about that the other day when I caught part of Return Of The Jedi on TV. Here's a band of rebels, in camouflage sneaking through the woods of Endor, and who is with them? A 6 foot tall shiny gold robot and another short blinding white one. I'm sure they won't stand out among all the green and brown trees.

I take R2 no matter what (probably best to at least spray can paint him green) as he is far too useful. Threepio...not so much.

And then there's the whole Chewbacca thing

That does not make sense!

IMHO, Han shooting first or not makes little difference in terms of his development. To me, Greedo's intentions were clear: he meant to kill Han and bring his carcass back to Jabba, so Han shooting first was about self-defense, not cold-blooded murder. Changing the scene to have Greedo shoot first and leave no doubt that it was self defense by Han was likely Lucas' objective. But the original scene is not dissimilar to Obi Wan killing that criminal bothering Luke at the bar, sensing Luke's life was in danger. To me, the change (besides looking fake and really, just dumb) made Han look like he didn't know what was coming, and that's not his character.

As for redemption, Han redeems himself from thinking only about himself and money (and not being a cold-blooded killer), to putting himself at risk when he returns as Luke's wingman at the end of A New Hope, as well as during the rest of the trilogy. I still don't think he fully embraced the Force, but just learned to accept it, and if faced with the Greedo situation again, would have greased him first, again.

But the story was always supposed to be about one thing: love. A boy's love for his father and sister, a man's love for a woman, friends' love for each other, and most of all, a father's love for his son, for which he'd risk his life, and in the process mortally wound himself. IOW, Han's redemption couldn't carry Vader's' redemption's jock strap.