How to lock down a TV

plenzmd1

So, have a nice covered porch on the back of my house where i watch all the games etc. Not screened in or anything. Thursday night someone stole the TV I had out there. Good thing I guess was I was already looking at getting a bigger one, this was a 4 year old 32 inch Westinghouse.

But, I am going to be putting prolly a 42 or 46 inch out there, but looking for ideas on how to lock it down. It sits on a an old blanket chest that also has the D* receiver and a/v reciever on it(they left those).

Any Ideas?

So, have a nice covered porch on the back of my house where i watch all the games etc. Not screened in or anything. Thursday night someone stole the TV I had out there. Good thing I guess was I was already looking at getting a bigger one, this was a 4 year old 32 inch Westinghouse.

But, I am going to be putting prolly a 42 or 46 inch out there, but looking for ideas on how to lock it down. It sits on a an old blanket chest that also has the D* receiver and a/v reciever on it(they left those).

Any Ideas?

What about one of those steel cables they attach to computer equipment?

Just curious - if the porch isn't enclosed, how do you keep the TV from getting wet during rainy/windy conditions?

If it is like mine, it is covered, just not closed off. I have a corner of my porch that seems to always stay dry, no matter how bad the weather. (That corner has two concrete walls on mine.) I cover the TV just in case, though.

I put a very cheap POS TV out there, that's good enough for when I want to smoke a cigar. Seeing as how we are right off the beach a good TV would get trashed from the salt air pretty quickly. I don't worry about it getting stolen. But if I had a good set, I'd do what these guys recommend. Build a little enclosure and lock it down.

If it is like mine, it is covered, just not closed off. I have a corner of my porch that seems to always stay dry, no matter how bad the weather. (That corner has two concrete walls on mine.) I cover the TV just in case, though.

I put a very cheap POS TV out there, that's good enough for when I want to smoke a cigar. Seeing as how we are right off the beach a good TV would get trashed from the salt air pretty quickly. I don't worry about it getting stolen. But if I had a good set, I'd do what these guys recommend. Build a little enclosure and lock it down.

Yes, in the corner, and this is a pretty big porch. Most people would prolly call it a sreened in room without the screens, I just like the open feeling without the screens. I have a huge fireplace out there as well, and in Richmond get more use of of in the fall/winter/spring then summer. That TV has been out there 4 years in September, never once brought it in.I have thrown the occasional towel over it when the wind and snow were kicking in some of the storms last year.

Yes, in the corner, and this is a pretty big porch. Most people would prolly call it a sreened in room without the screens, I just like the open feeling without the screens. I have a huge fireplace out there as well, and in Richmond get more use of of in the fall/winter/spring then summer. That TV has been out there 4 years in September, never once brought it in.I have thrown the occasional towel over it when the wind and snow were kicking in some of the storms last year.

That's all I use. An old towel for the most part.

Our porch actually is screened in, but that does little to stop the rain. If it were bigger and not exposed to the salt air, I'd try to put something nicer out there. But we never entertain out there. It's just my outside man-cave for the most part.

I live in a condo complex across the street from the beach. While there are plenty of permanent residents here, some units are rented to people on vacation. One night I was smoking cigars, drinking (maybe getting a bit stoned) on the porch when I just got completely nauseous. (Very occasionally if I smoke a very strong cigar too quickly, and I'm also stoned and drunk this happens. Age has its downsides.) So anyway, I new I was going to puke and there was no way I was going to make it to the bathroom. So I rushed off the porch and tossed my cookies in the bushes.

"GO INSIDE?" came the voice from the condo on the 3rd floor.

"Thank you for your concern." I replied.

I felt bad for anyone who had to experience that (they probably didn't see me, but heard me), but is that really your first reaction to someone in distress? "GO INSIDE"? What I get out of that is, "Go die in your condo please, I'm on vacation." Some people really lack compassion.

That's all I use. An old towel for the most part.

Our porch actually is screened in, but that does little to stop the rain. If it were bigger and not exposed to the salt air, I'd try to put something nicer out there. But we never entertain out there. It's just my outside man-cave for the most part.

I live in a condo complex across the street from the beach. While there are plenty of permanent residents here, some units are rented to people on vacation. One night I was smoking cigars, drinking (maybe getting a bit stoned) on the porch when I just got completely nauseous. (Very occasionally if I smoke a very strong cigar too quickly, and I'm also stoned and drunk this happens. Age has its downsides.) So anyway, I new I was going to puke and there was no way I was going to make it to the bathroom. So I rushed off the porch and tossed my cookies in the bushes.

"GO INSIDE?" came the voice from the condo on the 3rd floor.

"Thank you for your concern." I replied.

I felt bad for anyone who had to experience that (they probably didn't see me, but heard me), but is that really your first reaction to someone in distress? "GO INSIDE"? What I get out of that is, "Go die in your condo please, I'm on vacation." Some people really lack compassion.

That is to funny. Look on the good side..they firgured you were young enough just puking from drinking to much :wallbash:

And at least they didn't come downstairs and steal his teevee while he was busy retching/yarking.

What sucks is I was up pretty late that night, but was inside as it was like a friggen sauna out side. I didn't go to bed till about 12.30(yes that's late for an old fart like me), and was right inside the kitchen, which the porch is right off of. Had a new light fixture put in day before, and the electrician, who has done work for me for 6 years, had a new guy with him. Gotta connect the dots i guess. Not quite sure what to say to the dude, as I really have no prrof and don't want to ruin this guy based on coincidence

What sucks is I was up pretty late that night, but was inside as it was like a friggen sauna out side. I didn't go to bed till about 12.30(yes that's late for an old fart like me), and was right inside the kitchen, which the porch is right off of. Had a new light fixture put in day before, and the electrician, who has done work for me for 6 years, had a new guy with him. Gotta connect the dots i guess. Not quite sure what to say to the dude, as I really have no prrof and don't want to ruin this guy based on coincidence

Shiv the mofo.

:D

Edit.. Just read your post where you think it is the electrian's helper... :wallbash:

Why would he do something like that! Do the electrical work yourself...

Some people would rather have someone else risk getting shocked than trying it themselves.