Here's how I'm judging

With the first game tomorrow, I have devised my own system to pick the winner of the QB competition. Actually it's pretty simple. TDs per minutes played. The tie breaker would be points. The tie breaker after that is just who I like best.

I'll look at NFL.com or someones play by play of the game. I'll note the time on the clock when the offense takes over when we give it back. I'll keep track of TD and points when a given QB is in the game.

Long drives and FGs are nice, but we need a man who can finish.

How will you judge?

Based on what we've seen from each of them so far, only Ryan Fitzpatrick deserves to be the starting QB on this team.

Either Brohm or Edwards will have to play extraordinarily well in the preseason or show an incredibly firm grasp of the offense to convince me they should start over the only QB who has demonstrated the ability to win and inspire confidence on this team.

I know that won't be popular, but you asked how I will judge, and that's my opinion.

Based on what we've seen from each of them so far, only Ryan Fitzpatrick deserves to be the starting QB on this team.

Either Brohm or Edwards will have to play extraordinarily well in the preseason or show an incredibly firm grasp of the offense to convince me they should start over the only QB who has demonstrated the ability to win and inspire confidence on this team.

I know that won't be popular, but you asked how I will judge, and that's my opinion.

It's popular with me. If I had my say, Fitz would be starting this game.

I don't understand why the "only QB who has demonstrated the ability to win and inspire confidence on this team" is given zero credit for this by most TBDers. It's really all that counts.

But wouldn't a QB who does all this tranlate into TDs or at least points? If not, what good is it? We've all seen QBs who are good between the 20s. Can move the ball downfield only to stall or turn it over close to the EZ. What good is that? I'd take a QB who wasn't pretty, but scored TDs. That's all that counts. All these guys know that it's an open competition and their fate is dependent on how they play. I don't want a guy that does kindof good, I want the guy that plays the best in game situations. Which is TDs that correlates to Wins.

there are so many other things that go into a touchdown than just the qb so I don't know if thats really a fair way to judge good qb play. Like it was just said, what if the receiver drops the ball but the ball was on the money? What if an o-lineman misses a block and the qb has to scramble but makes a good throw anyway or throws it out of bounds instead of getting sacked? what if the throw was where it was supposed to be but the receiver didn't run the right route? I understand what you're saying, but with limited snaps I just don't agree with evaluating your qb's on points scored alone.

For the record, what I'm looking for is basically what trent said. Don't turn the ball over, no stupid mistakes, understand the play calling and routes. And I'd add confidence and command in the huddle and good pocket awareness/ mobility. And I am sure there is more, but its time to head to the dark star orchestra concert here in rochester! (for those that don't know and even care, its an awesome greatfull dead cover band)

With the first game tomorrow, I have devised my own system to pick the winner of the QB competition. Actually it's pretty simple. TDs per minutes played. The tie breaker would be points. The tie breaker after that is just who I like best.

I'll look at NFL.com or someones play by play of the game. I'll note the time on the clock when the offense takes over when we give it back. I'll keep track of TD and points when a given QB is in the game.

How will you judge?

There's a ton of holes in your scoring system.

For the record, what I'm looking for is basically what trent said. Don't turn the ball over, no stupid mistakes, understand the play calling and routes.

Great, here we go again. The only thing he left out was "take what the defense gives us". Earth to Trent - the team that makes the fewest mistakes does not win, the team that scores the most points does. I hate this attitude. It's for losers. You gotta take it to the other team and push them around to win. Not don't make mistakes and do what they'll let us do to them.

its time to head to the dark star orchestra concert here in rochester! (for those that don't know and even care, its an awesome greatfull dead cover band)

Cool man, have a good time at the concert. I have never heard of them and am not into the Dead, but I hope you have a good time!

How will you judge?

Interesting question.

After thought, I guess I'll need to see the game before I know. Overall effectiveness, maybe?

How could you be unsatisfied with a QB who ran three drives, all of which were long and consistent, and each of which was ended by an RB fumble at the two yard-line. That's why it doesn't help to be too specific before the game. In that case, zero touchdowns in a long stint. Yet, I would consider that a very effective outing.

I'd have to see the game first.