Somebody please explain to me this editorial logic

GG

Headline on the front page of WSJ.com

Colorado Race Gives Democrats Hope Democratic leaders say Colorado Sen. Bennet's victory in the state's primary was a good test of the national party's ability to get out the vote for November.

... later in the story ...

Moreover, even with the full force of the party behind him, Mr. Bennet attracted fewer votes than the loser of the Republican Senate primary, as overall GOP turnout was far higher in a divided state.

:thumbsup:

Story

Trying to be impartial here and all. :thumbsup: Hasn't there been a lot a talk around the nation (for sometime know) how the Repubs will win big?

What I am saying.. It is pretty clear the way things are going... The Repubs are the favorite and Dems the underdog... I kno wthat sounds crazy because the Dems have the power.

Trying to be impartial here and all. :thumbsup: Hasn't there been a lot a talk around the nation (for sometime know) how the Repubs will win big?

What I am saying.. It is pretty clear the way things are going... The Repubs are the favorite and Dems the underdog... I kno wthat sounds crazy because the Dems have the power.

You're right on with that. Politics is like fashion. There's a significant part of the population that wants to get with the new hot thing, and once that thing becomes too popular it stops being cool. Just like when a new club opens, everyone goes there, then it becomes trendy so more people go, then it's too trendy so people go somewhere else.

Plus whenever you're on top you've got a big damn bulls eye on your ass.

The Reps are the National favorite. But this isn't a national race. It is 435 House + 37(or so) Senate races.

Historically Congress and the Senate as a whole polls negatively. But the individual members in their home district/state poll higher than Congress/Senate as a whole.

IIRC the incumbent re-election rate for the House is over 90% and the Senate is over 80%, even in the swing years of '06 and '94. House rates are higher because you can't gerrymander an entire state

The Republicans will pick up seats this year no doubt. But it won't be a wave like is being reported. IMO the reason there is so much talk about a Republican takeover of the House is so that when it doesn't happen (which I don't think it will) - Pelosi, Obama, and Reid (yes, he's still going to be there) can claim victory

Some perspective please:

the same phenomona came up the other way after the Kentucky primaries, when Rand Paul received fewer votes than the losing Democrat.

Absolutely. But I don't recall anyone framing Paul's victory as a sign of the success of GOP getting the vote out, but rather the surprise of the Tea Party's effect.