I've Heard This Tune Before

BillsPhan

Yup. I can't think of what motivated this thread. What would he have Chan say to a reporter doing an article on the OL coach?

How about something more like: "I hired Joe because I believe he will do a good job with our young inexperienced OL." Then walk away from said reporter without bragging about how great a coach he believes him to be.

What motivated me to start this thread was that Gregg Williams had a press conference telling the media how awesome every one of his assistant coaches were after he hired them. 17-31-0 later, Williams and what was left of his awesome coaching staff were sent packing.

If anything, Gailey's comments about his new OL coach adds even more pressure on him to perform miracles with this group of un-drafted rookies, young promising vets, and completely average older vets he has to work with.

Look at it this way, I am an artist have been for 28 years or so. I just doodled in HS and got in to college with a really pretty bad portfolio. I wasn't skilled. I was good with color but not that great at drawing. I also wasn't good at composition or meaning. I definitely could not make a masterpiece.

People I had as teachers taught me a lot of fundamentals, it did matter and it wasn't long before my skills developed and people told me I had talent. I really just worked hard, practiced and developed my skills. I have made some things that people have told me were masterpieces some of them in my first 2nd and 3rd years of my artistic maturity. It should be the same for players and coaches. Even jaroun could coach the Dbacks. He knew how to teach those players.

I also ran a couple of businesses, I sucked at math before that experience but got better, that is what practice and teaching do for you if you are a good student and have good teachers. I think Galley know what he has with this coach.

Galley did a very smart thing and said open competition, (in other words talent draft position doesn't matter, show me your skills) I think he is a very creative and honest leader I would expect he has men around him that are the same.

Also it is just PR to sell more tickets and a bunch of other things that are in this thread.

So, when asked about his OL coach, should Chan have just stayed mum (as if he were deaf and didn't know he was asked a question) or would you prefer he say "No comment!"?

I think he should have started talking about Bruce Dehaven instead, so we'd either think he was hiding something or that he was a complete idiot.

This also presupposes the fact that his comments were in response to a direct question regarding his OL coach for an article on said coach, and not taken from some previous press conference.

How about something more like: "I hired Joe because I believe he will do a good job with our young inexperienced OL." Then walk away from said reporter without bragging about how great a coach he believes him to be.

BillsPhan starts thread:

Topic: Gailey disses OL coach

Can you believe that the best thing Chan can say about his OL coach is that he "thinks he will do a good job?" Isn't this guy under enough pressure w/o his HC throwing him under the bus before the seasons starts? I'm sure there must have been some good qualities he believed this guy had when he hired him. Why wouldn't he at least mention them, and express some confidence in the poor schmuck."

<_<

I'll take D'Alessandris over the last regime. Under Gailey and D'Alessandris, Georgia Tech's 2005 team started "three sophomores and a freshman on the offensive line and finished third in the conference in rushing and first in pass protection."

We'll get to see two O-Lines on Friday night that are "rebuilding". Can't wait to see Redskins Derrick Dockery and the Trent Williams we passed on vs. Torrell Troup, Stroud, et al.

So he's asked a question. Would you have preferred:

A He ignores the person asking the question?

B He states that he has no idea how good a coach he'll be?

In a recent Buff News article, Coach Gailey had this to say about his hand picked O-Line Coach, Joe D'Alessandris:

"He's a tough man, and he's a tough football coach," Bills head coach Chan Gailey said. "He's going to bring toughness and execution to the offensive line. He and I have been working with a lot of these same schemes for a long time. He knows exactly what we're trying to get done. He's an excellent technician and fundamentals teacher."

Linky:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article98360.ece

Anyone else thinking "Gregg Wiliams - speak" here? At least Chan didn't waste a presser like "Double G" did shortly after he finished hiring all of his assistants, standing up there bragging about each choice he made and how tremendous they would each be coaching those all - important "fundamentals." That presser was the one that convinced me that Williams was extremely cocky and arrogant considering he himself was a first time head coach of an NFL team.

Gailey obviously is more experienced then Williams was, having two years under the intense microscope of being America's Team's HC back in the late 90's. And up till now, I've been extremely impressed with almost everything Chan has done with his young team in training camp.

But I don't understand why brand new Head Coaches brag about how good their assistant coaches are. After all, the head coaches butts are on the line, since they hired them in the first place. And to choose the very worst position on the entire team's position coach to brag about, is either extremely arrogant, or extremely dumb, on Gailey's part. I won't be thinking how "tough and how excellent a technician and fundamentals teacher" D'Alessandris is if his young O-Line sucks coming out of the gate....

And don't most of us expect them to suck at least the first half of the season, being realistic, and seeing that the dreaded injury bug has already attacked them two weeks into camp?? <_<

Gailey would have been much better off saying nothing about his new O-Line coach, in my humble opinion. D'Alessandris already has the toughest job of all the Bills' assistant coaches to begin with anyway!!