Wow - Bengals O-Line looks bad

ACor58

And their tackle, Andre Smith, selected 6th overall last year is not playing after missing most of his rookie season due to injuries.

Jason Smith, and Eugene Monroe, the other prize tackles from last year's draft class have also been disappointments so far, although not as disappointing as Andre Smith.

And their tackle, Andre Smith, selected 6th overall last year is not playing after missing most of his rookie season due to injuries.

Jason Smith, and Eugene Monroe, the other prize tackles from last year's draft class have also been disappointments so far, although not as disappointing as Andre Smith.

Unfortunately for the Bengals, I have a feeling that Andre Smith will be the next Mike Williams

For one, it's the early preseason. For two, its Dallas they're playing. I didn't watch any of Cinci's games last year, but could their predominant run selection be partly due to a lack of ability to protect Palmer?

The thing that sticks out to me here more than anything is how stacked the Cowboys are on offense. WOW!!! They lose their probowl LT, and they two replacements that look ok. They're 3 deep at TE, their 4th WR might be good enough to be a 2 on some teams, they've got 3 good RB's and their 2nd string QB could be a starter on a few NFL teams... those boys are loaded. It's incredible to see them that good and to know they might only be the 3rd best team in the NFC.

I sure hope Bell and Meredith play good for us this year.

The Bengals o-line looked pretty decent in the run game - they opened up some holes for Benson & Co. FWIW, the Bengals were running a zone blocking scheme. It was really the pass game where they struggled.

I went back and watched every play of the first couple series for the Bengals and a few times. The Bengals did fine on the fist couple of plays, where the Cowboys played vanilla and just rushed straight ahead. However, shortly after that, the Cowboys started running stunts and sugaring rushers. Once they started doing that, the Bengals had tons of confusion on their OL.

There was only one play where pressure was placed on Palmer from the tackle actually getting beat on the play. The rest were all confusion on the OL. There were a couple plays with 3 linemen on one guy, with the other coming unblocked. The good news is it's all correctable, and I was a bit surprised to see the Cowboys sugaring blitzes in the first preseason game. Still, it's alarming.

I unfortunately didn't get to watch many Bengals games last year, so I'm not sure if they had similar problems in pass protection. If they did, it looks like they haven't improved much over the offseason yet.

It's definitely something to watch over the next few weeks.