White trash convicts on the run...

Just Jack

"...private Arizona prison..."

Somebody explain to me what a "private prison" is?

I would assume that it means that it is run/owned by a private, ie for profit, corporation rather than some gov't entity.

EDIT: Also, the prison had a single fence... :worthy: Aren't prisons surrounded by at least 3 or more fences?

Medium security prison.

Although you would hope that even medium security would have something to guard against wire cutters being thrown over the fence to the inmates... :lol:

The "Yellowstone Area" is huge. Very few paved roads. Depending on the elevation, it could snow at any time. If they don't have "survival skills" and serious off-road capability they're screwed.

On the other hand, if they did have wilderness survival capability, they could be there for years.

• 2 weeks later...

They've been caught....

Arizona fugitive and fiancee arrested at campsite

By JONATHAN J. COOPER, Associated Press Writers Jonathan J. Cooper, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 1 min ago

PHOENIX – An unattended campfire and a suspicious forest ranger led to the arrest of two of the most wanted fugitives in the U.S., ending a three-week nationwide manhunt that drew hundreds of false sightings, authorities said.

The arrests came hours after officials discussed a report that outlined a series of embarrassing security breakdowns that allowed the escape.

The prison has a badly defective alarm system, a perimeter post was unstaffed, an outside dormitory door had been propped open with a rock and the alarms went off so often that prison personnel often just ignored them, the report said. Also, operational practices often led to a gap of 15 minutes or longer during shift changes along the perimeter fence, Ryan said.

Prison staff told a review team that the dormitory door was left open because of the heavy amount of foot traffic. That open door allowed the three inmates to reach a 10-foot chain-linked fence that hadn't been topped with razor wire. They scaled that fence and hid out for a time behind a building in an area that isn't visible to staff from the yard.

Yeah... Which guard was sleeping in the tower when that happened (wire cutters)?... :thumbsup:

Straight out of Hogan's Heros!

I grew up not far from Attica Prison. I was back visiting a few years ago and was driving near there. They have added a medium security section with wire fences and guard towers. I had my camera with a telephoto lens and was focusing in on the guard tower. Just as the tower came into focus I notice a guard with binoculars pointing right at me and a phone up to his ear. I hightailed it right out of there. :worthy: