Do you think Nix would like to beat the Redskins?

I know it's only pre-season, but I gotta believe that Buddy Nix would NOT be upset if we outplayed the Redskins. Just to let Mike Shanahan know that we'll be fine without his him. Just thinking...

PTR

Personally, I dont think Nix is thinking this given its the first preseason game and literally means nothing. Come week 1, Skins will be a contender and we will be starting at the bottom trying to fight for respectability...no one will ever remember a win in the first preseason game, not even most Bills fans.

I know it's only pre-season, but I gotta believe that Buddy Nix would NOT be upset if we outplayed the Redskins. Just to let Mike Shanahan know that we'll be fine without his him. Just thinking...

PTR

I would think both Nix and Gailey could give a **** about what coach is on the other sideline for a preseason game.

I am also sure they would much rather be surprised by outstanding play from a few players that maybe they were not expecting. And a overall good effort from the team (which I am sure they are very much expecting).

Living in DC, I will be watching the Redskins this year.

Prior to this past offseason, the Bills and Redskins were mirror images of each other this past decade. The only difference being one owner (Snyder) liked to spend ridiculously on the roster and the other (Wilson) liked to pinch pennies.

Regardless of the spending differences, the overall front office structure and results on the field for the past decade had both of these teams striking as rather identical.

I will be looking to see which franchise made the better moves. Washington went big time: they signed Bruce Allen, Shanahan, traded for McNabb, and traded for a big-time LT. They also signed burner Willie Parker. Washington could be dramatically better this season.

The Bills on the other hand took the long road. They signed Nix, brought in Gailey to run the team, revamped the strength department, and made some modest free agent signings and some good draft picks. Nothing sensational.

Both teams, IMO, made moves to solidify their futures. But Washington also did more to improve themselves today. They had holes at LT and QB, and addressed both of them amazingly well. The Bills left both holes wide open at QB and LT...and IMO may be to the detriment to the team. I like Trent, but I don't like Fitz. He's done all he can, he's hit his ceiling. He's not going to be improving. I like Jeff Garcia, as he has rocked everywhere he has been (except Cleveland). We need a LT badly, as I don't think Bell or Meredith can hold down the fort.

It will be interesting to watch which team is better.

Nix has a brand new defense, a moribund offense, first year coach, and a ton of things to keep him busy evaluating and assessing in preseason to be thinking about Shanahan. I suspect Buddy has been around long enough not to have any particularly strong feelings about the skins or shanahan. Give him a year and he'll have the same hard feelings about the teams that so heartily deserve our hard feelings-the pats, thedolphins and the jets.

PTR

People still think the Bills were seriously interested in Mike Shanahan? Wow. Didn't realize Russ Brandon's staged PR trip out to Denver was so successful.

Wilson discounted reports that the team is interested in interviewing Mike Shanahan, the former Denver Broncos coach.

"I don't know anything about him," he said.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/watercooler/story...85&catid=71

Personally, I dont think Nix is thinking this given its the first preseason game and literally means nothing. Come week 1, Skins will be a contender and we will be starting at the bottom trying to fight for respectability...no one will ever remember a win in the first preseason game, not even most Bills fans.

I remember this one pretty well, August 17, 1973 The Bills played their first game in Orchard Park, losing to the Washington Redskins, 37-21 at Rich Stadium

Prior to this past offseason, the Bills and Redskins were mirror images of each other this past decade. The only difference being one owner (Snyder) liked to spend ridiculously on the roster and the other (Wilson) liked to pinch pennies.

Regardless of the spending differences, the overall front office structure and results on the field for the past decade had both of these teams striking as rather identical.

I will be looking to see which franchise made the better moves. Washington went big time: they signed Bruce Allen, Shanahan, traded for McNabb, and traded for a big-time LT. They also signed burner Willie Parker. Washington could be dramatically better this season.

The Bills on the other hand took the long road. They signed Nix, brought in Gailey to run the team, revamped the strength department, and made some modest free agent signings and some good draft picks. Nothing sensational.

Both teams, IMO, made moves to solidify their futures. But Washington also did more to improve themselves today. They had holes at LT and QB, and addressed both of them amazingly well. The Bills left both holes wide open at QB and LT...and IMO may be to the detriment to the team. I like Trent, but I don't like Fitz. He's done all he can, he's hit his ceiling. He's not going to be improving. I like Jeff Garcia, as he has rocked everywhere he has been (except Cleveland). We need a LT badly, as I don't think Bell or Meredith can hold down the fort.

Willie Parker? Are you referring to the guy who went from almost 1500 yards rushing in 2006 to 389 yards last year? With Portis on the decline, a declining Willie Parker, and the declining Larry Johnson. All great backs who have seen their better days. Only Portis has a real shot (if he can stay heathy) of being a a big contributor. Willie Parker is the least of their three veteran RB's.

I'm thinking the bills are going are going to try to win in preseason (not to the detrement of evaluating talent) to try to instill a winning spirit in these young guys hoping it can carry over into the regular season.

I don't think Gailey and Nix are using this season as freebie to get the rebuild rolling. They want to win. They're going to do everything they can to win. Let the draft picks fall where they may.

The Skins did what they do. Got big names, but ones with a clock running on them. Their young receivers still have not stepped up. Signed LJ and Parker, but they are older and have been banged up like Portis. Is Brown over his injury? They could go either way.

PTR

I think Russ Brandon would like to see the Bills beat the Redskins so that he can sell more tickets. I don't think that Buddy Nix cares that much as long as the team plays well. Remember, Russ went out to interview Shanahan before he hired Nix as GM. I think that Nix is probably happy that Shanahan didn't come because Nix doesn't have to worry about working with such a big ego. Besides, if Shanahan were hired there's a good chance that Nix wouldn't have become the GM.

How do you figure? Until further notice, the Redskins are the bottom feeder in their division just like us.

Nix has a brand new defense, a moribund offense, first year coach, and a ton of things to keep him busy evaluating and assessing in preseason to be thinking about Shanahan. I suspect Buddy has been around long enough not to have any particularly strong feelings about the skins or shanahan. Give him a year and he'll have the same hard feelings about the teams that so heartily deserve our hard feelings-the pats, thedolphins and the jets.

+1.

although.. if we're trailing close near the end and have the ball...

I want the first string offense and defense to execute their limited gameplan. For the past forever, I've watched the first stringers get blown up, only for the scrubs to come in and win the game or make it close, masking the real issues. I just want to see a well organized drive that gets us some points.

Willie Parker? Are you referring to the guy who went from almost 1500 yards rushing in 2006 to 389 yards last year? With Portis on the decline, a declining Willie Parker, and the declining Larry Johnson. All great backs who have seen their better days. Only Portis has a real shot (if he can stay heathy) of being a a big contributor. Willie Parker is the least of their three veteran RB's.

Agreed. I don't think Parker is even going to make the final roster for them.