Here's my Training Camp Report from Thursday 8/5/10

Here ya go. My report from Day 8 of Training Camp is finished. Hope ya enjoy it. If you have any questions or comments, go ahead and post them. I will try to reply to all....

It was the Day 8 of the Buffalo Bills Training Camp and the first full week of practice is now complete. The team continued to practice in full pads and work harder than they have worked in years. This is truly a different camp from what we are used to seeing. There is a lot more work on individual drills, plus more one-on-one teaching by the coaches. The players are also a lot more focused. As always, the team spent time working on the 7-on-7, 9-on-9, and the 11-on-11 drills. The team also worked on special teams drills, including kickoff coverage and line blocking on punts.

The players started out the day right away like they usually do by working on gap assignments and doing a quick walk-thru. Following the walk-thru, the team split into the individual units and worked on their own drills. My focus was the Defensive Backs and the Linebackers vs Running Backs/Tight Ends. The Defensive Backs started out practicing route running and working on footwork drills. Next, the players practiced catching balls from the jugs machine. For the most part, the players caught everything thrown their way. But, Ashton Youboty dropped one and also misjudged one. Ellis Lankster dropped one that was right off his fingertips. Drayton Florence also had one that he misjudged and couldn't catch the ball. On the positive side, Terrence McGee timed his jumps perfectly and caught everything. Reggie Corner had a couple nice leaping catches. Leodis McKelvin also hauled in a few high ones. After the players were done with this drill, they worked on one-on-ones against eachother

The next drill that I focused on was the Running Backs/Tight Ends blocking. They lined up against a Linebacker and had to block them. Jonathan Stupar was the star of this drill. He made a solid solid blocks, including one where he pancaked Andra Davis. Joique Bell also had a nice block where he pushed Chris Ellis away. On the other hand, Michael Matthews struggled containing Kawika Mitchell. Aaron Maybin also threw Fred Jackson to the ground. When the players were done with this drill, the horn sounded and the team worked on kickoff returns. Roscoe Parrish, Fred Jackson, Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin caught the ball and returned the kicks. Roscoe Parrish showed off his speed on his return. Fred Jackson also made some good moves when he got a shot. However, Leodis McKelvin dropped the ball on his first return. He did get another chance and made a nice cut to break a long run. The team worked on this for a while and then practiced Field Goals where Lindell appeared to continue his solid kicking.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go. My report from Day 8 of Training Camp is finished. Hope ya enjoy it. If you have any questions or comments, go ahead and post them. I will try to reply to all....

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:

Great job as always Mike and I have a question for you.

Being that you have been doing this for awhile and that the Bills have changed systems so often, in your experience, is the defense always ahead of the offense for the first one or two weeks of practice? Thanks and keep them coming.

Excellent report, thank you. Sounds like a lot of live blocking and tackling is going on. I visited an NFC camp yesterday, and there was no tackling or hitting, despite the fact that pass and special team plays were being run.

Guest dog14787
Great job Mike, I love hearing about Stupar's performance!

Yup, another great report Mike and I'm also excited about Stupar, between Stupar and Nelson we may finally get some decent production out of the TE position!

Jonathan Stupar has virtually clawed his way up the ladder to where he is right now rung by rung and it would be great to see all of his hard work and determination rewarded with the start at the TE position.

Great job as always Mike and I have a question for you.

Being that you have been doing this for awhile and that the Bills have changed systems so often, in your experience, is the defense always ahead of the offense for the first one or two weeks of practice? Thanks and keep them coming.

The defense is usually always ahead of the defense. But the offense doesn't look this bad.

thank you again :lol:

nice to read about carrington. im thinking hell be starting day 1.

I could see that too. He looks pretty damn big and he's fast too. I loved how he just bullrushed the linemen he faced.

Great job Mike, I love hearing about Stupar's performance!

Yeah, he's definitely caught my eye. I've liked him before, but after watching how many times he's caught the ball and seeing his blocking. I like what I see even more.

Excellent report, thank you. Sounds like a lot of live blocking and tackling is going on. I visited an NFC camp yesterday, and there was no tackling or hitting, despite the fact that pass and special team plays were being run.

Not really live tackling, more like live hitting. Sometimes, you hear the big pops of the pads, but they do blow the whistle immediately if someone is "hit"

I'm thrilled to hear that Maybin actually threw someone down.

Me too. It was funny watching him do that to Jackson.

:lol:

Thanks!!!

A great report that far exceeds anything that the mainstream media is giving us!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliments. :D

Yup, another great report Mike and I'm also excited about Stupar, between Stupar and Nelson we may finally get some decent production out of the TE position!

Jonathan Stupar has virtually clawed his way up the ladder to where he is right now rung by rung and it would be great to see all of his hard work and determination rewarded with the start at the TE position.

I'm excited about Stupar and Nelson. They have both done a solid job catching the ball and if Nelson can learn to block better, he'll be a very good #1 TE.

Nice job Mike! Good reading with my coffee this morning.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. :lol:

Thanks Mike!!!

One question...

How do you manage to keep track of what is going on so that you can write your commentary & take so many pictures (great ones BTW) at the same time? Do you have a sidekick? Do you record your commentary at practice and then refine it when you write up your report? Why were the special teamers wearing yellow condoms on their helmets? What are they afraid of?

Mike, I'm negotiating to buy Sports Ilustrated. If the deal is consumated you will be my feature writer.

If you happen to see Peter King tell him to go home because you would make a better replacement.

The people who have been at camp and giving updates have all been superb. Thank you all. :lol:

Thanks Mike!!!

One question...

How do you manage to keep track of what is going on so that you can write your commentary & take so many pictures (great ones BTW) at the same time? Do you have a sidekick? Do you record your commentary at practice and then refine it when you write up your report? Why were the special teamers wearing yellow condoms on their helmets? What are they afraid of?

It's harder than you think. No, I don't have a sidekick. I love taking photos and try to take as many as I can, in between writing notes. I basically just jot down the player's number and who they are throwing too, whether it was a good pass, bad pass, good catch, bad catch, drop, or if the defensive player made a play and i jot down their number too. I'll admit one thing, I estimate on the yardage sometimes if it's farther down the field from my view. And I jot that down too.

If I hear some people around me make a comment about a particular player that I was watching, I might also jot that down. Then when I get home, once I get time between working overnights and sleep...I take my notes and try to create it into a play-by-play for everyone who wasn't at camp to witness.

I like to add pictures to make the paragraphs and take my own photos for that. That's one reason why I don't get a lot of photos of the action, like the receiver making the catch or the RB breaking a tackle, because I'm trying to spot where they end up before the whistle is blown.

As for the special teams, they have those helmet covers for the players to wear when they simulate the opponent and are trying to practice against a scout team. It helps them to determine where the individidual players would go.