Every possible contract parameter

In the last few days, some posters have helped define the #9 slot using available data. I've added to that by including additional info cherry picked from Mark Gaughan's Bflo News article this morning and some of my own research:

Eighth overall pick, Rolando McClain, five-year contract, $40 million total, $23 million guaranteed, 19.8% increase in guaranteed money over last year's #8 pick.

I also dug up that last year's ninth overall pick, B.J. Raji signed a five-year deal, $28.5 million total, $18 million guaranteed.

Tenth overall pick, Tyson Alualu, five-year deal, $28 million total, $17.5 million guaranteed, 2.8% increase in guaranteed money over last year's #10 pick.

So the range which the Bills and Spiller's camp have to work within is $12 million in total value, and $5.5 million in guaranteed money and an increase over last year's #9 slot of between 19.8% and 2.8%.

Folks, that's a pretty wide range.

In addition it was stated in Gaughan's article that "the structure of contract" might be a stumbling block. Gaughan didn't elaborate.

Sal Maiorana opined that "one sticking point could be length of the contract. Running backs tend to have among the shortest life spans in the NFL. Spiller's representatives may be seeking a contract longer than the Bills are willing to give."

I didn't necessarily agree with this last point by Maiorana. An extra year would mean more guaranteed money BUT ALSO longer servitude under the rookie contract and with the new CBA likely to include free agency after 4 seasons, I think it's just as likely that Spiller's camp might be seeking a four-year deal.

Anyways, that's about all the info we have as far as contract parameters.

Eighth overall pick, Rolando McClain, five-year contract, $40 million total, $23 million guaranteed, 19.8% increase in guaranteed money over last year's #8 pick.

B.J. Raji signed a five-year deal, $28.5 million total, $18 million guaranteed.

Tyson Alualu, five-year deal, $28 million total, $17.5 million guaranteed, 2.8% increase in guaranteed money over last year's #10 pick.

Folks, that's a pretty wide range.

Not really. The problem you have is failing to account for Crabtree at 10. The increase of 2.8% was over a deal he signed October 7. Alualu's agent recognized Crabtree's deal was rich and didn't demand the customary year/year raise.

The midpoint between McClain and Alualu is $20.25 million guaranteed. A 19% increase on Raji is $21.42 million guaranteed. No difference.

In total value, the midpoint is $34 million guaranteed. A 19% increase on Raji is $33.9 million. Even closer.

Either the Bills are refusing to pay the customary annual increase or Spiller's agent is making unreasonable demands. I'll let other posters decide which is the case.

Not really. The problem you have is failing to account for Crabtree at 10. The increase of 2.8% was over a deal he signed October 7. Alualu's agent recognized Crabtree's deal was rich and didn't demand the customary year/year raise.

The midpoint between McClain and Alualu is $20.25 million guaranteed. A 19% increase on Raji is $21.42 million guaranteed. No difference.

In total value, the midpoint is $34 million guaranteed. A 19% increase on Raji is $33.9 million. Even closer.

Either the Bills are refusing to pay the customary annual increase or Spiller's agent is making unreasonable demands. I'll let other posters decide which is the case.

I was waiting for someone to make that point and thanks for contributing.

As Gaughan and Sal mentioned, it might be more the structure/length of the contract than the dollar figures.

But I could just as easily see Spiller's camp asking for 4 years as opposed to 6, instead of the customary 5.