HOLY FLOATATION DEVICES!

Stl Bills

It's just plain weird that there is not a trace of it on the Net! I think you have the name right, but I'm not positive.

I think that this thread put a "trace" of it on the net... :)B-)

I find it strange too... I am gonna call my brother later today... I think he knows of it more...

Anyway... Going east down Ellicott portion of 240 there is a hill before you get to Davis portion (and that area where Alpine was) of 240... I am pretty sure that is where one my teachers got in a bad wreck stopped/broken down on the side of the road just below the crest of the hill, I guess the on- coming car never seen him...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just plain weird that there is not a trace of it on the Net! I think you have the name right, but I'm not positive.

Yeah, I know - yesterday I tried googling again, and came up with this thread!

The Alpine recreation area I remember predates the net. It may have gone out of business before there was such a thing as a web page. I do have a very vague memory of driving by there in the late 70s? and the alpine signs were gone but the gate was still up, which it never had pre Alpine. There was a group of people sitting by a fire towards the back of the quarry so I walked over to ask what the story was. They said their boss owned a candy factory and had bought the property for the private use of his employees. again, this was 30 years ago.

I think that this thread put a "trace" of it on the net... <_<:D

I find it strange too... I am gonna call my brother later today... I think he knows of it more...

Anyway... Going east down Ellicott portion of 240 there is a hill before you get to Davis portion (and that area where Alpine was) of 240... I am pretty sure that is where one my teachers got in a bad wreck stopped/broken down on the side of the road just below the crest of the hill, I guess the on- coming car never seen him...

Dont let your teacher know that you said "seen"

The Alpine recreation area I remember predates the net. It may have gone out of business before there was such a thing as a web page. I do have a very vague memory of driving by there in the late 70s? and the alpine signs were gone but the gate was still up, which it never had pre Alpine. There was a group of people sitting by a fire towards the back of the quarry so I walked over to ask what the story was. They said their boss owned a candy factory and had bought the property for the private use of his employees. again, this was 30 years ago.

I know that I camped there in August 1980.........And, it was definitely still used for cross country skiing into the 90s, if not this decade........In fact, this is the first that I knew that it wasn't used for cross country skiing anymore.

I know that I camped there in August 1980.........And, it was definitely still used for cross country skiing into the 90s, if not this decade........In fact, this is the first that I knew that it wasn't used for cross country skiing anymore.

I dunno. My knowledge is to old. I do know those trails behind the quarry went far beyond the property in question[maybe to Pennsylvania?] and where used by snowmobilers.