HOLY FLOATATION DEVICES!

Stl Bills

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the old "Hard Rock Quarry"? We used to go there and get extremely plastered in the 70s. In fact we got so plowed I can't recall where exactly it was.

I don't recall anyone calling it that. But it's been 35 years. It was a abandoned cement factory.[the building was still there]. Thats why the Quarry was dug. Apparently the water table was a Little higher then anticipated and the whole thing turned into a giant swimming pool. But I am certain it was on 240 between OP and west falls.

I don't recall anyone calling it that. But it's been 35 years. It was a abandoned cement factory.[the building was still there]. Thats why the Quarry was dug. Apparently the water table was a Little higher then anticipated and the whole thing turned into a giant swimming pool. But I am certain it was on 240 between OP and west falls.

It was a CC skiing place too in the winter... Right??... I think Dean is right about the previous name...

It was a CC skiing place too in the winter... Right??... I think Dean is right about the previous name...

After some brief research and a phone call to a friend, I believe Hard Rock Quarry was in Clarance. On, or near, Rte 5, perhaps.

They had some decent concerts there, at one time. I think I saw Savoy Brown there.

After some brief research and a phone call to a friend, I believe Hard Rock Quarry was in Clarance. On, or near, Rte 5, perhaps.

They had some decent concerts there, at one time. I think I saw Savoy Brown there.

What was Alpine called before then? It wasn't always Alpine... I am sure it was used for CC skiing in the winter when nordic took off and became more popular in the late 1970's early 1980's...

Anybody go off the cliff at Sherkston (sic)

After thinking how any chick who is decently thin can get some run on the Net by buying some fake boobs, blond hair and gross tattoos, my 2nd thought was about Sherkston............I only did it once - I'm scared of heights and my friends got a huge laugh of my intense fear on the way down!

What was Alpine called before then? It wasn't always Alpine... I am sure it was used for CC skiing in the winter when nordic took off and became more popular in the late 1970's early 1980's...

Yeah it was used for XC skiing. Lots of trails in the woods behind it. Before it was alpine it was just the Quarry. Had a blast there till it got bought.

I have little knowledge of it's post 1975 [suckness] history.

Yeah it was used for XC skiing. Lots of trails in the woods behind it. Before it was alpine it was just the Quarry. Had a blast there till it got bought.

I have little knowledge of it's post 1975 [suckness] history.

Not the res at Chestnut Ridge, right?... The one right off of Ellicott road before Davis Road (Both are 240)... I just looked at the map on Google and it has some POI called "Twinco"... That is the area you are talking about, right?

Here is Chestnut Ridge... Just zoom out and move further east on the map

Is it the real big looking water or the two small water areas near "Bob's New York Deli" (off of the Davis portion of 240)?

Not the res at Chestnut Ridge, right?... The one right off of Elliott road before Davis Road (Both are 240)... I just looked at the map on Goggle and it has some POI called "Twinco"... That is the area you are talking about, right?

Is it the real big looking water or the two small water areas near "Bob's New York Deli" (off of the Davis portion of 240)?

It had no connection at all to Chestnut ridge. It was always privately owned. Drive thru Orchard park[coming from the stadium] Turn left on 240 just past the OP country club. Make a left at the end[?][i think] of 240. The quarry will be on your right. I have no idea of it's currant status-again it's been 35 years.

It had no connection at all to Chestnut ridge. It was always privately owned. Drive thru Orchard park[coming from the stadium] Turn left on 240 just past the OP country club. Make a left at the end[?][i think] of 240. The quarry will be on your right. I have no idea of it's currant status-again it's been 35 years.

Did you look at the map... I think the quarry is the big body of water? Looks like a pretty cool swimming hole! :worthy::D

Not the res at Chestnut Ridge, right?... The one right off of Ellicott road before Davis Road (Both are 240)... I just looked at the map on Google and it has some POI called "Twinco"... That is the area you are talking about, right?

Yea I think it is that body of water by "twinco" what ever that is. The shape is right.

Apparently it is now a factory

I looked at twinco on Google earth and am positive it was the old Alpine recreation area.

Interesting! I was reading through what the company does. I wonder if they use the large reserve of water when they build or test their products/systems??? That seems like a real tucked away location... They did say they serve dairy interests...

Says the company was founded in 1969... I wonder when they moved to the Alpine site?

I could have sworn that Alpine would still be listed in the Buffalo News skiing preview for places for cross country skiing as recent as ten years ago.

That is what I thought too... I can't find anyting on it... What was the offical name? Alpine Recreational Area? I thought it was the closest commercial CC/nordic area (with maintained tracks/trails) to BFLO... On the way to Tamarack/Kissing Bridge areas for Alpine skiing. I wonder if ski tech with CC has something to do with it? Why the heck would you pay to CC ski?? Just go to a park... No?