Aaron Schobel to be Released

dgr81

What do you mean?

The Bills held all the cards.

You force him to play, retire, or renegotiate his contract and trade him.

an out right release should've NEVER been an option.

Nix looks like a jackass.

thanks for proving my original point.

or should i simply reply with another one of these? <_< because that's a lot simpler than merely rehashing much that's come out of the Buffalo-area media on this topic. but why let facts get in the way of a good old-fashioned lynching.

jw

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or should i simply reply with another one of these? <_< because that's a lot simpler than merely rehashing much that's come out of the Buffalo-area media on this topic. but why let facts get in the way of a good old-fashioned lynching.

jw

So-called "fans" of the Bills are really masochists who spend their time concocting reasons to complain about the team. We know. We suck. So why are you still here?

PTR

its like what i was saying in the other thread -- all schobel had to say was "hey ill be on the plane in August 15 -- see you soon" and we would either have to release, or pay him to eat up a roster spot (assuming he wouldnt be "ready" to play OLB).... there was little to no chance of a trade with every team knowing this.

But our new GM, painted himself into a corner on Schobel. First he says, "Aaron can come in whenever he wants, we need good football players." Then, a few days later, he says "We are moving on without Aaron Schobel. We have not talked to anyone about a trade. We will not release Aaron Schobel. There are no circumstances under which Aaron Schobel will play football for the Buffalo Bills in 2010. When he decides what he is going to do, we will go from there, possibly work out a trade." Great Buddy, show 'em!!!

Two days later, they release him, getting nothing for him. Somebody will sign him, for around the same 2 million the Bills are trying to save. Nicely played Buddy....eliminating all your bargaining power, all your options, without even talking to another team.... <_<

Gotta love the statement Buddy made just 2 days ago about Schobel not being released. If they do release him today not only does it look like you let him go without getting anything for him, you look like an even bigger ass because you are doing something you expressly said you weren't going to do. Maybe there really aren't any options for the Bills, but if you're a GM you should have realized that a few days ago and not said something stupid about not releasing him. This is exactly why I'm not willing to give the new regime much credot until they actually show me something - right now it seems like the same old Bills front office......

When did Nix actually say he won't release him? Did you actually hear a quote out of his mouth? Maybe you should actually read the articles.

“He will stay on the Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision on whether he’s retiring or if he might want to play somewhere else,” said Nix.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...70-88f723ff8446

------------------------

"Schobel told The Associated Press in a phone interview that the Bills told him they would release him if he decided to come back at this point."

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/footbal...52&srvc=rss

But our new GM, painted himself into a corner on Schobel. First he says, "Aaron can come in whenever he wants, we need good football players." Then, a few days later, he says "We are moving on without Aaron Schobel. We have not talked to anyone about a trade. We will not release Aaron Schobel. There are no circumstances under which Aaron Schobel will play football for the Buffalo Bills in 2010. When he decides what he is going to do, we will go from there, possibly work out a trade." Great Buddy, show 'em!!!

Two days later, they release him, getting nothing for him. Somebody will sign him, for around the same 2 million the Bills are trying to save. Nicely played Buddy....eliminating all your bargaining power, all your options, without even talking to another team.... <_<

Buf...how do we know that they didn't talk to other teams?

I admit that this feels like a Ralph Wilson decision......but I really cannot find fault in it. Aaron Schrobel as much as people are saying they like him is a damn malcontent and not a team player. As much as Marshawn Lynch has been "Lynched" on this board (and I have dont my share) he is HERE showing that he wants to be a bill.

If this team would win some damn football games then we would have more "team" players showing up....that is the real problem not Schrobel. In my opinion Aaron Schrobel does not fit the defensive scheme of this team, is not the kind of player we want around making his own rules, and frankly I am glad he is gone.

Its time to weed out these malcontent type guys and go with guys that actually want to be part of something....Aaron Schrobel never was that.

For all the whiners, what makes you think someone would trade for a guy who is threatening to retire? Why would someone trade for a guy with a salary that big, who still can't decide if he wants to play? Why would someone trade draft picks for a player with all those things stacked against him - especially if he wants to play for only one year - if he plays at all?

For a minute there, I thought I was in another Favre thread.

High draft pick?

Impact player?

For Aaron Schobel?

I like the guy. Always have. But, really?

Think about what the fan boards would be saying about the GM that gave the Bills an impact player or a high draft pick for Aaron Schobel -- and gave Aaron Schobel $10 mil or so to be one more puzzle piece on a contending team.

Those fans would make all the grouches around here look like Oscar -- as long as we're doing sesame street references . . .

Hey! I take exception to that remark!

the problem is no matter how much buddy said that, the only card the bills held was the threat of paying him 8 million to sit on the bench. literally that was the ONLY trump they had on the situation. i dont care what the argument, no one can convince me that is better then releasing him.

when you take that off the table, a release was really the right way to handle it - making a bad situation ugly does not help anyone. a trade just was never a possibility and buddy should have seen that two days ago.

jw

Enlighten me, please. What "facts"?

He's under contract with the Bills, right? Right.

He says he's retiring, right?

So his choice is to go ahead and retire or report to the team he's under contract with.

Why would the Bills have to or even consider releasing him. Can someone explain that other than to say "Gee, you should already know. Get your facts straight."

this board's gone nutty with it's inability to get its facts straight. <_<

just sayin'

jw

Exactly right. The team had no choice but to release him at this point.

The outstanding questions are:

1.) Why did it take them until now to make the decision they didn't want him on the team?

2.) What motivated the decision to move on? Why weren't those same motivations present in January when they could have set the wheels in motion and potentially gotten something for him?

The point here is that the team seemed to decide to cut ties with Schobel exactly at the same time as he seemed most likely to come back. That's bizarre.

So his choice is to go ahead and retire or report to the team he's under contract with.

Why would the Bills have to or even consider releasing him. Can someone explain that other than to say "Gee, you should already know. Get your facts straight."

According to JW's reporting, it went down like this: Nix called Schobel, told him the Bills were going in a different direction. Schobel then said something to the effect of "what if I report now," to which Nix replied "you'd be released."

The Bills decided it didn't make sense to pay someone $8 million to spend one year at a new position. Perfectly reasonable. But by announcing it to the world BEFORE they made any effort to trade him, they lost any leverage they may have had.

Let's put to the side for the moment the question of whether or not Schobel could/should've been traded.

If the Bills knew, or should've known, that Schobel wasn't coming back, would/should they have drafted a passrusher at #9? Someone like Graham from Michigan?

Or used that $8 million to sign an RFA to an offer sheet.

Because if he shows up at camp they gotta pay him 2 million dollars?

According to JW's reporting, it went down like this: Nix called Schobel, told him the Bills were going in a different direction. Schobel then said something to the effect of "what if I report now," to which Nix replied "you'd be released."

The Bills decided it didn't make sense to pay someone $8 million to spend one year at a new position. Perfectly reasonable. But by announcing it to the world BEFORE they made any effort to trade him, they lost any leverage they may have had.

Hey, what the $#@ is wrong with you! Don't you know you're not not allowed to talk in a responsible tone around here? Didn't you get the memo?

Because if he shows up at camp they gotta pay him 2 million dollars?

Ok, but, he hasn't shown up to camp, right? So that's not an issue right now. Handle it if it becomes an issue. In the meantime, fine him the max for every day he misses and you can get some of that back.

Then, if he does report, why not just keep him on the team?

Do people really think he's just not going to play? I see posts about "we have to pay him $8 million to sit on the bench". Why is that? He's a starter, right? So play him. Do you really think he's not going to try, or not going to get himself ready to play? He does that, and he'll get crippled for life out there by someone if he's not in shape and not working.

I still don't understand.

For all the whiners, what makes you think someone would trade for a guy who is threatening to retire? Why would someone trade for a guy with a salary that big, who still can't decide if he wants to play? Why would someone trade draft picks for a player with all those things stacked against him - especially if he wants to play for only one year - if he plays at all?

All the mouth breathers who think Schoebel actually has trade value at this point drive me nuts. Think for a minute, will ya?

This assumes that you just sit back with your thumb in your butt wondering whether he's going to play again. If you want to avoid the worst case scenario -- him walking away with no compensation -- you have to be proactive.

90% of Schobel's discontent had to do with losing. You call his agent about shipping him to a contender. You work the phones with various teams, gauging interest. You run certain teams by the agent. Eventually you find a situation that works for him where the team is willing to send a 4th or 5th rounder.

They had a window from early January to the draft in April to pull this off.