Revis situation is ugly

At the same time, loudmouth Rex Ryan is telling the media that if Revis reports on September 11, he'll be starting on September 12.

Nice job, coach. I don't care if the statement is true -- it's idiotic for Ryan to make it publicly.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poster you reference need not respond to a snap of your fingers and spend time digging about... <_<

I didn't say he had to.

But if you criticize someone for giving bad evidence, and your reason for calling it bad evidence seems limited to the fact that you don't like what it shows, and then you yourself give no evidence at all ... you'd better be ready to be called hypocritical or lazy or uninformed or all three.

I didn't say he had to.

But if you criticize someone for giving bad evidence, and your reason for calling it bad evidence seems limited to the fact that you don't like what it shows, and then you yourself give no evidence at all ... you'd better be ready to be called hypocritical or lazy or uninformed or all three.

I'll take door #3.

<_<

You provided no evidence. You showed the stats of WRs on team the Jets played. Revis didnt have one on one man coverage agains tthose recievers 100% of the time. In fact, I bet he had one on one man coverage agaisnt those recievers less than 50% of the time, so why do those stat relate to Revis?

Oh, well, gosh, if you "bet" "he had one on one man coverage against those recievers less than 50% of the time" well that means so much. I had no idea that you "bet" he didn't cover them often. .... Please. You seem to be mistaking the words "bet" and "guess in a wild-ass manner."

I got that data off a Jets website. And it is extremely consistent. Look at those numbers. If these guys were switching off and running all around, the numbers wouldn't be consistent. The reason it's so consistent is simple, because Revis was there kicking their asses.

I largely agree with this post. But there are a few nuances I see differently.

In a 3-4, there are four highly critical positions: NT, RDE, pass rushing OLB, and #1 CB. The NT is supposed to use up two defenders while being an anchor against the run. You want a guy like Ted Washington or Pat Williams there. The RDE is also supposed to be solid against the run, while being a source of a good pass rush. Bruce Smith is obviously the dream RDE, but if you can't have him you at least need a Marcellus Wiley. The perfect pass rushing OLB is a guy like Bryce Paup--a guy who knows how to get to the QB, but who also gives you versatility to stop the run or drop into coverage. A solid overall football player.

The fourth player you need for a 3-4 to be successful is a good shutdown CB. An Antoine Winfield. With a guy like that, you can put him in one-on-one coverage against the opponent's best WR, and know that you'll be okay. The #1 WR will probably catch a pass here or there, but over the course of the game he's going to be kept under control. The fact that you can get away with covering their #1 with just one guy frees up an extra guy for your defense.

One of the main themes of the 3-4 is to free up as many players as possible. Each defender thus freed up becomes a source of unpredictability. You can rush your three down linemen + one LB, for example. Even with that, the other team won't necessarily know which LB is going to rush. So that's unpredictability right there, even without blitzing! But if you can add in a second rushing LB, that will make your pass rush even tougher for the other team's offense to handle. A shutdown CB gives you the flexibility to rush that extra man, instead of having to use that defender to double cover the other team's #1 WR.

I disagree about the DEs. DEs in a 3 - 4 don't do much pass-rushing. Bruce Smith is a freak of nature, of course, but except for him you just don't see a lot of 3 - 4 DEs getting sacks. They're there to stop the run, hold the corner on run plays and compress the pocket.

Take a look here:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...seasonType=POST

Those are the top sackers in the league last year. Where are the first two 3 - 4 DEs on the list? Pretty far down.

Marcellus Wiley played at 275 pounds. Where do you find 3 - 4 DEs who weigh that these days? They're bigger, and that means they're slower and less likely to get sacks.

The first two guys in importance in a 3 - 4 defense are NT and ROLB. After that you can make a very good case indeed for CB, if he's extremely good and can take one side of the field out of the equation.

zzzzziiiiinnnnnnngggggg!!!!!!!!!!

ouch!

PS- I don't remember mr. indescructable (andre) ever getting the best of deon either, but di you check the superbowls?

GO BILLS!

Deion wasn't a Cowboy till after the SBs. He joined the Cowboys for the 1995 season, and the Bills last SB was January of 1995, after the 1994 season.

Oh, well, gosh, if you "bet" "he had one on one man coverage against those recievers less than 50% of the time" well that means so much. I had no idea that you "bet" he didn't cover them often. .... Please. You seem to be mistaking the words "bet" and "guess in a wild-ass manner."

I got that data off a Jets website. And it is extremely consistent. Look at those numbers. If these guys were switching off and running all around, the numbers wouldn't be consistent. The reason it's so consistent is simple, because Revis the Jets defense was there kicking their asses.

Fixed.

I mean come on dude, dont tell me you believe Revis was on all those recievers, that naive. Maybe those recivers have few catches is because the Jets D allowed the least number of complations in the league last year? Maybe that had few yards was because the Jets allowed the least passing yards last season? Go back and look up the #2 WRs stats, I bet they suck too. Same with the TEs.

I realize Revis is good and played an important part in those results, but if he had Kelsay/Maybin rushing the passer for him he would have looked a lot more average.

Jets Week One vs. Houston:

Daniels 4/44

Johnson 4/35 against Revis

Slaton 3/35

Leach 2_23

"Game ball : The Jets' Darelle Revis is on the verge of becoming an elite corner and showed why Sunday by making Andre Johnson a complete non-factor. Revis held Johnson -- the league's reigning receptions leader -- to four catches for 35 yards, including just one reception in the first half."

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009091305/2...EG1/jets@texans

Jets Week Two vs. NE:

Edelman 9/98

Galloway 5/53

Moss 4/24 against Revis

Watson 3/23

"Jets CB Darrelle Revis blanketed Randy Moss and limited him to four catches for 24 yards."

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092005/2...@jets#tab:recap

Jets Week Three vs. Titans

Britt 4/59

Crumpler 4/41

Gage 4/37 against Revis

Washington 225

Jets Week Four vs. Saints

Thomas 4/46

Shockey 4/34

Colston 2/33 against Revis

Henderson 3/21

Meachem 1/19

Colston averaged 67.1 YPG last year and got half of that against Revis.

Jets Week Five vs. Fins

R. Williams 3/70

Ginn 2/57, 1 TD (a 59 yarder) against Revis

Fasano 4/38

Camarillo 3/33

Bess 3/18

Haynos 1/17

"Ginn beat Darrelle Revis and two other Jets deep, catching Henne's long pass just before crossing the goal line. It was a rare long gain by the Dolphins, who came into the game with only two completions of 20 yards or more to wide receivers."

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101200/2...ecap-full-story

Jets Week 6 vs. Bills

Evans 4/68

Nelson 2/34

McIntyre 2/18

Owens 3/13 against Revis

Lynch 2/11

J. Reed 1/10

Jets Week 7 vs. Raiders

Murphy 4/58

Heyward-Bey 2.28

Fargas 3/23

Stewart 1/19

Miller 2/15

Watkins 1/7

Jets Week 7 vs. Fins

R. Williams 2/41

Haynos 2/20

Bess 4/18

Fasano 2/16

Camarillo 1/15

R. Brown 1/2

Ginn 0/0, but was benched much of the game.

Revis was on him when Ginn was in. Considering the results of that game, though, the best Fin WR performance was Bess, who went 4/18, so whoever Revis was on the rest of the time got nothing.

I'll add to this over the next 12 hours or so (gotta go right now), but it's already showing what I expected. In the first two games, those star recievers, Moss and Johnson were muzzled. How often was Moss the #3 reciever for the Pats* last year?

Strange how these teams stats against the Jets look so different from how they look typically. Their #1 reciever isn't #1 for the game. Weird. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that Revis was covering them.

Jets Week One vs. Houston:

Daniels 4/44

Johnson 4/35 against Revis

Slaton 3/35

Leach 2_23

"Game ball : The Jets' Darelle Revis is on the verge of becoming an elite corner and showed why Sunday by making Andre Johnson a complete non-factor. Revis held Johnson -- the league's reigning receptions leader -- to four catches for 35 yards, including just one reception in the first half."

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009091305/2...EG1/jets@texans

Jets Week Two vs. NE:

Edelman 9/98

Galloway 5/53

Moss 4/24 against Revis

Watson 3/23

"Jets CB Darrelle Revis blanketed Randy Moss and limited him to four catches for 24 yards."

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092005/2...@jets#tab:recap

Jets Week Three vs. Titans

Britt 4/59

Crumpler 4/41

Gage 4/37 against Colston

Washington 225

Jets Week Four vs. Saints

Thomas 4/46

Shockey 4_34

Colston 2/33

Henderson 3/21

Meachem 1/19

I'll add to this over the next 12 hours or so (gotta go right now), but it's already showing what I expected. In the first two games, those star recievers, Moss and Johnson were muzzled. How often was Moss the #3 reciever for the Pats* last year?

Colston averaged 67.1 YPG last year and got half of that. Strange how these teams stats against the Jets look so different from how they look typically. Their #1 reciever isn't #1 for the game. Weird. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that Revis was covering them.

I thought we went over this already? The Jets D shut down everyone. All those numbers for all those recievers suck. This was not because of Revis alone, but rather the Jets D being very good all over. Revis didnt cover the #1 guy every single play. Revis was coving some of those #2s, 3s, or the TE when they caught passes. Revis wasnt covering the #1 when they caught some of those passes they did. Those stats prove nothing.

Thats like saying "Thomas jones ran for 200 yards vrs the Bills, and since Poz is teh MLB its his job to stop the run, so man Poz must SUCK!"

I thought we went over this already? The Jets D shut down everyone. All those numbers for all those recievers suck. This was not because of Revis alone, but rather the Jets D being very good all over. Revis didnt cover the #1 guy every single play. Revis was coving some of those #2s, 3s, or the TE when they caught passes. Revis wasnt covering the #1 when they caught some of those passes they did. Those stats prove nothing.

Thats like saying "Thomas jones ran for 200 yards vrs the Bills, and since Poz is teh MLB its his job to stop the run, so man Poz must SUCK!"

but you are arguing that he gave up a few catches to the number 2 and it seems that he would give up those 3-4 catches to the number 1 also? or did he shut them out?

The number two corner mustve been pretty good if revis was giving up a solid 6-8 catches a game to the outside receivers and he was giving up next to nothing. maybe he should get the big contract. oh wait == he got replaced.

i know the #1 receivers stat line is not a hardline way to present the information but why would things play out like this if what you were saying you saw in a couple instances was true across the bored?

Revis was given a "get out of jail free" card by the refs, in the NYJ games I saw... B-)

that may true but as long as he owns that card he is still more valuable then the next guy.

He won't be so valuable if I were an opposing OC. I would plot to plant him into the turf and therefore remove him as an irritant the moment I detected that he was getting special dispensations.

He won't be so valuable if I were an OC. I would plot to plant him into the turf and therefore remove him as an irritant.

if it were that easy, it would have been done many times over by now. he played in what -- 19 games against a dozen OC's and no one did it. whether with help or not, he was nasty good. whether he can play that way long term, we will see. whether hes worth QB money? almost certainly not. If they decide to keep sanchez in a couple years they would have $40 mil a year wrapped up in those two alone.

if it were that easy, it would have been done many times over by now. he played in what -- 19 games against a dozen OC's and no one did it. whether with help or not, he was nasty good. whether he can play that way long term, we will see. whether hes worth QB money? almost certainly not. If they decide to keep sanchez in a couple years they would have $40 mil a year wrapped up in those two alone.

It gets done. If you watch CIN (not recommended), you will see how they go after Polamalu and Lewis. Polamalu leads with his head and gets smashed. Cedric Benson knocked him silly last season. Lewis is smarter, but he usually ends up committing a gratuitous personal foul late in the game., e.g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4KZnxHFrVk

That thing kept CIN alive for an eventual win.

I'm betting that next time they face Revis, he will be on the hit parade.

Revis wants about a $14 M a year raise, OMG. He is dug in as well, so we won't have to play him at this pace.

Revis failed to show up for the start of the Jets' training camp on Sunday because he is unhappy with a contract that is set to pay him $1 million this season. Revis wants to be the NFL's highest-paid CB with a deal that surpassed the three-year, $45.3 million contract the Oakland Raiders bestowed on Nnamdi Asomugha in 2009.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...arrelle-revis/1

If he was on the Bills they would just release him and let him sign with New England or Miami.

If he was on the Bills they would just release him and let him sign with New England or Miami.

We actually traded a disgruntled previous LT and came out pretty well from the draft, why it didn't happen here I have 0 clue.