Revis situation is ugly

Revis wants about a $14 M a year raise, OMG. He is dug in as well, so we won't have to play him at this pace.

Revis failed to show up for the start of the Jets' training camp on Sunday because he is unhappy with a contract that is set to pay him $1 million this season. Revis wants to be the NFL's highest-paid CB with a deal that surpassed the three-year, $45.3 million contract the Oakland Raiders bestowed on Nnamdi Asomugha in 2009.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/th...arrelle-revis/1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revis was due $1 million this season, drastically underpaid for one of the best CB's in the league. He'd be the 7th-highest paid Jets defensive back.

HOWEVER--

He held out before his rookie season, after he was drafted, in order to secure an EXTRA year on his first contract. He signed a 6-year deal, and also had a guaranteed clause in his contract that if he was in training camp everyday thereafter of his first four seasons, he would activate $20 million in guaranteed money over the last two seasons of the deal.

Therefore, by holding out, he is forfeiting what is essentially a 3-year, $21 million guaranteed deal, a fairly reasonable sum for a first contract. But he is seeking the richest contract for a CB in the NFL.

The Jets are so strapped for cap space, they have offered (as the Titans did with Chris Johnson) an attempt at a raise for this season, but the offer was believed to have been in the $2.5-$3 million range, which Revis called "laughable."

Revis is making a foolish move, in my opinion, by forfeiting that guaranteed money (via his absence at camp.) Obviously, by leaving that money on the table, he's not going to sign a meager contract. But really, his only leverage is the hope that the Jets feel they have a Super Bowl team, and need him to win this year. Otherwise, he's backed himself into an unbelievably stupid corner, especially after holding out as a rookie to secure the extra year on his deal.

Revis was due $1 million this season, drastically underpaid for one of the best CB's in the league. He'd be the 7th-highest paid Jets defensive back.

HOWEVER--

He held out before his rookie season, after he was drafted, in order to secure an EXTRA year on his first contract. He signed a 6-year deal, and also had a guaranteed clause in his contract that if he was in training camp everyday thereafter of his first four seasons, he would activate $20 million in guaranteed money over the last two seasons of the deal.

Therefore, by holding out, he is forfeiting what is essentially a 3-year, $21 million guaranteed deal, a fairly reasonable sum for a first contract. But he is seeking the richest contract for a CB in the NFL.

The Jets are so strapped for cap space, they have offered (as the Titans did with Chris Johnson) an attempt at a raise for this season, but the offer was believed to have been in the $2.5-$3 million range, which Revis called "laughable."

Revis is making a foolish move, in my opinion, by forfeiting that guaranteed money (via his absence at camp.) Obviously, by leaving that money on the table, he's not going to sign a meager contract. But really, his only leverage is the hope that the Jets feel they have a Super Bowl team, and need him to win this year. Otherwise, he's backed himself into an unbelievably stupid corner, especially after holding out as a rookie to secure the extra year on his deal.

The guaranteed money he's leaving on the table is chump change compared to what he's looking for. He wasn't more than the $14M/year Asomugha gets from Oakland. It would take a year and a half, not 2, to get back that $21M.

HOWEVER--

I have said this before and will always stand on it...there is not now nor will there ever be a CB worth that kind of money. NE proved just a few years ago fielding thier 4th - 7th string CB's that you can win without a 'shutdown corner'. I have always felt that is a pure bull **** term as well. You let a WR run for 4+ seconds and he is gonna get open somehow. Andre Reed schooled Deion when they met up. did he just try to race him down the field? No, he ran crisp routes on his ass and owned him.

Any team can take 4 average DB's and go to a superbowl and with with a great pass rush. There are 3 cornerstones to any great franchise, QB, LT and a pass rusher off the Right side. Screw these idiot DB's thinking they are worth 14 mill or so per year.

If I were the Jets I would be taking trade offers right now for the idiot.

I have said this before and will always stand on it...there is not now nor will there ever be a CB worth that kind of money. NE proved just a few years ago fielding thier 4th - 7th string CB's that you can win without a 'shutdown corner'. I have always felt that is a pure bull **** term as well. You let a WR run for 4+ seconds and he is gonna get open somehow. Andre Reed schooled Deion when they met up. did he just try to race him down the field? No, he ran crisp routes on his ass and owned him.

Any team can take 4 average DB's and go to a superbowl and with with a great pass rush. There are 3 cornerstones to any great franchise, QB, LT and a pass rusher off the Right side. Screw these idiot DB's thinking they are worth 14 mill or so per year.

This post is filled with common sense. I demand it be removed from the board as it has offended me.

... in a couple of years "that kind of money" will be the league minimum!

HOWEVER--

jets aren't strapped for cash or cap space. The issue is that is killing them is the 30% rule. With his low salary this year essentially a 100 mill contract for him would be an absolute mess to put together. He's allegedly been offered a big deal though, or a couple million in free money this year with no new years added- both being olive branches on the jets side but all he's done is embarass them in return. Faking injuries etc

The jets have broken handshake deals in the past to rework contracts "after the season" so I see why he doesn't want to wait.

I'm surprised more players haven't realized there own agents could've helped in this situation by going for high salaries in year X of the contract in order to give future leverage.

Generally true. Maybe a little oversimplified but if you follow the rule you should find success. There is only one argument I would make for maybe a handful of guys-

The one thing that revis does is actually shut down the 1. A lot of shut down corners ala clements just take the 2 and allow a double to neutralize the top guy. If you can take a #1 away with one man its like having an extra guy on the field. Suddenly you can blitz every play if you want with that "extra guy" giving you an alternative the dominating DE.

Not a recipe I want to bank on but in rare cases may work.

I wonder what the most any team should pay a cornerback is. Assuming that Revis really is RoboCorner: he eliminates the WR he covers from the play, be he Steve Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Obviously, that's a superstar talent, but if he wants $16M a year - is it really better to have him and some $4M starter than two $10M guys on the edges?

You can win without a shutdown corner? Agreed, and the Pats*, as you say, are a good example. All you need are Bill Belichick and a Bill Belichick defense. Extremely good CBs help a defense out tremendously. No, on average, they're not quite as important as pass rushers, but if you can take their best reciever out of the game ...? With no help?

Also, take a look at this list of the #1 CBs on the three Pats* Super Bowl winning teams:

2001 Pats* #1 CB Ty Law

2003 Pats* #1 CB Ty Law

2004 Pats* #1 CB Ty Law, but he was injured about halfway through the season, 2nd year-man Asante Samuel played for the second half of that season.

Asante was a new guy and Belichick looked like a genius. But when everyone realized that Asante was a terrific CB, that 2004 miracle was a lot less impressive.

----------

No such thing as a shutdown corner? Check last year's statlines for the guys Revis covered:

Andre Johnson 4 catches for 35 yards 0 TDs

Randy Moss 4/24, 0

Justin Gage 4/37, 0

Marques Colston 2/33, 0

Ted Ginn Jr. 3/57, 1

Terrell Owens 3/13, 0

Louis Murphy 4/58, 0

Ted Ginn, Jr. 0/0, 0

Mike Sims-Walker 3/49, 1

Randy Moss 5/49, 1

Steve Smith (Panthers) 1/5, 0

Terrell Owens 3/31, 0

Kellen Winslow 3/33, 0

Roddy White 4/33, 0

Reggie Wayne 3/33, 0

Chad Ochocinco 0/0, 0

Totals 47/483, 3 TDs. Revis's guys averaged 30 yards per game.

Six INTs, 3 TDs allowed. How good is that?

Conclusions. That is freaking insane. Darrelle Revis is a shutdown corner.

----------

Andre schooled Deion?

I've done a bit of research and teams with Deion on the roster played teams with Andre on the roster exactly twice. Here are Andre's stats for each game:

11/22/92 vs. Atlanta 4/70, 1TD

09/22/96 vs. Dallas 5/36 0TDs

Forgive me, I don't see the schooling there. And I don't even know whether Deion was covering Andre in those games. Not a lot of support for your argument here.

I'm surprised more players haven't realized there own agents could've helped in this situation by going for high salaries in year X of the contract in order to give future leverage.

Players have yet to realize that their agents aren't always looking out for their best interest.

I hate holdouts. But Revis has to do what is right for him - namely masses of cash now, because tomorrow he could break his leg in practise and never play again.

His original deal worked out far better for the Jets than it did him, and in my view he is right to see to at least balance that out.

He's the best corner in football and probably deserves to be paid as such.

I just hope the saga drags on - we could use the Jets being unstable.

Good for you Revis. Stick to your guns and show the Jets who "The Man" is.

I think you should holdout the entire season.

LMAO I see where you are going with this and on that note....Stick it to the man Revis! you are worth 20 mill per year!

I hate holdouts. But Revis has to do what is right for him - namely masses of cash now, because tomorrow he could break his leg in practise and never play again.

His original deal worked out far better for the Jets than it did him, and in my view he is right to see to at least balance that out.

He's the best corner in football and probably deserves to be paid as such.

I just hope the saga drags on - we could use the Jets being unstable.

I don't disagree with you, Revis has to do what's right for him. It's easy to say "What ever happened to honoring the contract you signed?" but the players are fully aware that the team is looking to replace them immediately when they are injured/old/too expensive/etc. and the team has no hesitation in cutting players and not honoring signed contracts. So it's the system, and both sides use it.

However, my beef with Revis is that after he was drafted, the Jets wanted to sign him to the standard rookie contract of 5 years. Revis held out and demanded that a 6th year be added to his rookie contract. He eventually got what he wanted. The way the contract was structured, in his 4th season (this year), his base salary would only be $1M, but by reporting to camp every day in years 2, 3, and 4, he would trigger $20 million guaranteed over his final two seasons.

Therefore, by holding out, he's forfeiting $21 million in guaranteed money. Additionally, the Jets would likely be more open to an extension or a reworking of his contract if he only had one season remaining after 2010. But he held out as a rookie in order to obtain that 6th year. So from the Jets perspective, they gave him what he wanted, and he has three years remaining under contract with them. He just doesn't like the bed he made for himself.

Additionally, Revis was underwhelming as a rookie (as most rookie DB's are), and started to show promise in his 2nd season. But it was only in his 3rd season, with new coach Rex Ryan's defense, that he became the "Revis Island" shut down corner. The Jets could argue that his success is a product of the pressure the front 7 puts on the QB, while Revis could argue that his presence at CB allows them to run a blitz-happy defense. Both are likely correct.

I don't see where Revis has any leverage in this situation. Would he hold out and not take a paycheck for a full season, with the possibility of a lockout looming? He's already forfeited that guaranteed money from years 5 and 6, so he appears to be very serious about his holdout.

All in all, this is an ugly situation for the Jets, but good news for the Bills and the AFC East.

You can win without a shutdown corner? Agreed, and the Pats*, as you say, are a good example. All you need are Bill Belichick and a Bill Belichick defense. Extremely good CBs help a defense out tremendously. No, on average, they're not quite as important as pass rushers, but if you can take their best reciever out of the game ...? With no help?

Also, take a look at this list of the #1 CBs on the three Pats* Super Bowl winning teams:

2001 Pats* #1 CB Ty Law

2003 Pats* #1 CB Ty Law

2004 Pats* #1 CB Ty Law, but he was injured about halfway through the season, 2nd year-man Asante Samuel played for the second half of that season.

Asante was a new guy and Belichick looked like a genius. But when everyone realized that Asante was a terrific CB, that 2004 miracle was a lot less impressive.

----------

No such thing as a shutdown corner? Check last year's statlines for the guys Revis covered:

Andre Johnson 4 catches for 35 yards 0 TDs

Randy Moss 4/24, 0

Justin Gage 4/37, 0

Marques Colston 2/33, 0

Ted Ginn Jr. 3/57, 1

Terrell Owens 3/13, 0

Louis Murphy 4/58, 0

Ted Ginn, Jr. 0/0, 0

Mike Sims-Walker 3/49, 1

Randy Moss 5/49, 1

Steve Smith (Panthers) 1/5, 0

Terrell Owens 3/31, 0

Kellen Winslow 3/33, 0

Roddy White 4/33, 0

Reggie Wayne 3/33, 0

Chad Ochocinco 0/0, 0

Totals 47/483, 3 TDs. Revis's guys averaged 30 yards per game.

Six INTs, 3 TDs allowed. How good is that?

Conclusions. That is freaking insane. Darrelle Revis is a shutdown corner.

----------

Andre schooled Deion?

I've done a bit of research and teams with Deion on the roster played teams with Andre on the roster exactly twice. Here are Andre's stats for each game:

11/22/92 vs. Atlanta 4/70, 1TD

09/22/96 vs. Dallas 5/36 0TDs

Forgive me, I don't see the schooling there. And I don't even know whether Deion was covering Andre in those games. Not a lot of support for your argument here.

Holy sh*t how I hate that argument. Do you think Revis was locked in one on one man coverage every play vrs teh same guy? Thats moronic. I remember watching the playoff Bungals/Jets game, as the announcers where washing Revis's nuts for allowing 85 to catch 1 or 2 passes all game, yet AS THEY WERE TALKING, Revis had allowed 3 catches to Coles/others.

Worst. Evidence. Ever.

Revis thinks he is hot sh*t cause ESPN cannot get his dock out of their mouths. Id rather have Mcgee/Florence/Dbrickashaw Furgeson for that money. My team would be better too.