Hacker seeking Rochester golf course

Looking for a relatively inexpensive and easy public golf course I can get out on first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) morning out here in Rochester-Pittsford land. I'm staying in Brighton, so anything close to their would do, too.

Don't want to drive too far and don't need some high-falutin course, because I don't have the game for it.

Any thoughts, oh legion of people?

jw

Looking for a relatively inexpensive and easy public golf course I can get out on first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) morning out here in Rochester-Pittsford land. I'm staying in Brighton, so anything close to their would do, too.

Don't want to drive too far and don't need some high-falutin course, because I don't have the game for it.

jw

Sorry - only played the "high-falutin" ones in that area.

jw

What is up with the capital letters?

SJF does have an inexpensive 9 hole course...very, very tight fairways...may not be high-falutin enough.

There's also Shadow Lake and Eagle Vale which are nice.

And finally, if you don't mind some crowds, Genesee Valley has a sprawling 36 holes that are maintained by the county. However their web site is SO bad that I refuse to link to it. :lol: A Google Maps search will get you an address.

If you're in Pittsford for training camp, there's a course right down the road that I hear is pretty nice. Never played there myself, but I would imagine it's not too crowded on a weekday morning. I think it's called Oak Hill.

I'd advise against wearing tshirt & jeans, just in case. :lol:

oh, what a bunch of funny people. geez, and i think i asked politely, too.

Oak Hill, i've played twice and despite my whopping scores both times, i can say that i parred Nos. 8 and 9 the last time i played during a media day thingy before the senior pga.

thanks, though for the Shadow Lake recommendation. someone else among the media ranks also suggested that place.

jw

oh, what a bunch of funny people. geez, and i think i asked politely, too.

Oak Hill, i've played twice and despite my whopping scores both times, i can say that i parred Nos. 8 and 9 the last time i played during a media day thingy before the senior pga.

thanks, though for the Shadow Lake recommendation. someone else among the media ranks also suggested that place.

jw

Island Valley is a little 9-hole course on Rte 31F less than 5 miles East of SJF. It's a short course (2700 yds) par 35, but its challenge comes from elevated tees and/or greens. A very low-key course.

just played 9 at Shadow Pines as there was a tournament at Shadow Lakes.

didn't mind the course. carded a few 8's but that was mostly because of my unfamiliarity of the course -- though i did drain it in the water on 8.

highlight was getting a 2 on the par-3 7. tee shot within 6 feet of the hole ... musta had my eyes closed.

jw

I played 9 holes at bob-o-links on transit road and 20a once. 1985 I think it was.

Yeah, we still go out to bob-o's sometimes in the summer and get drunk, because the non-golfers can hang out too there.