Doesn't Pay to be a Fan and Win Championships

Seems the owner (Rocky Wirtz) is saying that the Blackhawks LOST money last year. This year they will have to raise tickets by 20%... :worthy: ... Wow! That has got to put average tickets start to hover around a 100 bucks a pop! This after a season with full sellouts and lucrative merchandise/TV deals. Something is wrong with the pro-game... It is totally broken IMO.

'Hawks lost money winning the Cup

"...The team ended the season with capacity attendance and record merchandise sales and T.V. ratings, but the organization lost money last year.

The team will not say how much money it lost, but season ticket prices are going up by about 20 percent this fall.

The change means the team's ticket prices will go from some of the cheapest in the NHL to some of the most expensive..."

Be careful what you wish for sport's fans... It usually comes out of YOUR pocketbook!

Seems the owner (Rocky Wirtz) is saying that the Blackhawks LOST money last year. This year they will have to raise tickets by 20%... :ph34r: ... Wow! That has got to put average tickets start to hover around a 100 bucks a pop! This after a season with full sellouts and lucrative merchandise/TV deals. Something is wrong with the pro-game... It is totally broken IMO.

'Hawks lost money winning the Cup

"...The team ended the season with capacity attendance and record merchandise sales and T.V. ratings, but the organization lost money last year.

The team will not say how much money it lost, but season ticket prices are going up by about 20 percent this fall.

The change means the team's ticket prices will go from some of the cheapest in the NHL to some of the most expensive..."

Be careful what you wish for sport's fans... It usually comes out of YOUR pocketbook!

I'm not saying I don't believe the team's clam they lost money. But just because they claim to lose money doesn't make it true. Maybe they use a Hollywood accountant.

On a related note, on 7/10 at the West Seneca Queen of Heaven beer tent, my son introduced me to Patrick Kane. Stupid to say I was pumped to meet someone the age of my son. But hey he did score the Stanley Cup winning goal! Funny that he doesn't even look like an athlete, just a regular guy, hanging with his buddies. If it was me and I was him, I would be wearing a Black Hawks jersey with my name and women all over. LOL. For that matter, I wouldn't leave Chicago because he has to be the toast of the town as big as Jordan, Payton and Butkus

Maybe couple times a year I see Ruben Brown at bike events, and he is like 6-5 300#, still looks like a player you know

Like any business with higher than expected income, they have a financial opportunity to "write off" some things on their taxes. So, you work the numbers to show a big "loss". Then you use the paper losses to raise your "lower than average" ticket prices to some of the highest in the league....

They didnt lose money last year anywhere other than on paper for Uncle Sam's benefit, IMO.

On a related note, on 7/10 at the West Seneca Queen of Heaven beer tent, my son introduced me to Patrick Kane. Stupid to say I was pumped to meet someone the age of my son. But hey he did score the Stanley Cup winning goal! Funny that he doesn't even look like an athlete, just a regular guy, hanging with his buddies. If it was me and I was him, I would be wearing a Black Hawks jersey with my name and women all over. LOL. For that matter, I wouldn't leave Chicago because he has to be the toast of the town as big as Jordan, Payton and Butkus

Maybe couple times a year I see Ruben Brown at bike events, and he is like 6-5 300#, still looks like a player you know

I cannot believe you just compared Pat Kane to Michael Jordan, Walter Payton, and even Dick Butkus :ph34r:

I cannot believe you just compared Pat Kane to Michael Jordan, Walter Payton, and even Dick Butkus :lol:

I know right? Jordan, Payton and Butkus should feel honored they were mentioned in the same sentence as a hockey player :devil:

NHL teams aren't exactly uber-profitable. I remember reading that the Sabres had to go pretty deep in the playoffs just to make a profit.

According to team sources.

I'm not saying I don't believe the team's clam they lost money. But just because they claim to lose money doesn't make it true. Maybe they use a Hollywood accountant.

IIRC, Art Buchwald forced a significant change in how movie profits are figured when he sued Eddie Murphy for stealing the idea for "Coming to America" I'll see if I can find a link about it.

Link

...But he was best known in that realm for the court battle over “Coming to America.” A judge ruled that Paramount Pictures had stolen Buchwald’s idea and in 1992 awarded $900,000 to him and a partner.

The case dated to a 1983 Paramount contract for rights to Buchwald’s story “King for a Day.” The studio had dropped its option to make such a movie in 1985, three years before releasing “Coming to America” without credit to Buchwald.

Both stories involved an African prince who comes to America in search of a bride.

Paramount argued that the two stories were not that similar. After the judge ruled in Buchwald’s favor, Paramount lawyers insisted in the trial’s next phase that the film failed to produce any net profits. The case became a celebrated example of “Hollywood accounting.”...

It doesn't mention it here but I believe during the penalty phase of the trial the accounting was put on trial and it led to SAG forcing changes in accounting procedures so actors and writers would get a fair accounting of movie profits. I'm not positive of that though.

I had ESPN on while I was getting ready for work this morning...they had a teaser "Kane Stanley Cup" or something similar...what did the kid do with the cup?

NHL teams aren't exactly uber-profitable. I remember reading that the Sabres had to go pretty deep in the playoffs just to make a profit.

And the 'Hawks went as deep as it goes and they still lose money... Come on... This is what disgusts me about sports.

20% increase in tickets in this economy... Ticket prices should be going DOWN. What gives, they just unloaded alomst half of their roster. Niemi just left today...

And the 'Hawks went as deep as it goes and they still lose money... Come on... This is what disgusts me about sports.

20% increase in tickets in this economy... Ticket prices should be going DOWN. What gives, they just unloaded alomst half of their roster. Niemi just left today...

Hey, they're just trying to make money! :lol: :lol: :)

Hey, they're just trying to make money! :lol::lol::)

I agree. That was my whole point of the other thread. Chicago can absorb the blow... BFLO can't!

BFLO already went through bankrupcty...

Pick your poison... Me, I would rather the team not fold and hope to catch "lightening in bottle" and win it all cost saving. BFLO can't do it like Chicago did... They woould cease to exist.

I'm assuming that since the teaser was on today it had something to do with cup hijinks, thought maybe he took it swimming or skydiving or...

Actually it was just me misreading your post. I thought you (jokingly) posted "what did the kid do to win the cup" [but with the word "to" missing]. Must not have been drunk enough when I read it.