Bills' defense has a new look for 2010

I have to agree - the Music City Miracle robbed our Defense that year of establishing itself as one of the better defenses of the decade, I'd say. We were very hard to run on. We smothered people.

As for our current defense - I think it will evolve into a hybrid 3-4 that, as players get more accustomed to their roles, we'll see a lot of shifting pre-snap, seeing odd allignments - you know, we could bring one or two of our LB's up to the line in various situations to create pressure or stop the run. With our current group of personnel, I think we have excellent talent, but that we have to find the right schemes for all these guys to shine. We could see a good mix up with our safeties, depending on the down and distance, and we could see a good mix up with our LB's, too, depending on situation. What I'm saying is, even though we have a 3-4 defense this year, I think it will look like a bunch of different defenses throughout the course of a game, and the season. And, I think we'll be very opportunistic, right up in the top of the league in turnovers, and I think we'll finish in the top ten overall in defense. That's saying a lot considering some of the powerhouses we'll be facing this year.

Not to start a debate on which is better, but I do remember during the SuperBowl years how so many people were clamoring about the 4-3, and how we would not have been run over by Dallas, Washington, Otis Anderson, AND how many more sacks Bruce WOULD have had in that defense.

The 3-4 was THE biggest complaint as I recall. Everyone insisted that the 3-4 was the reason the defense wasn't getting the job done.

I think this debate is like the carpenter blaming his tools. The main reasons the Bills defense struggles is because it lacks talented players, and because the offense has sucked so bad they have had nothing to play for after game 4 each year, and they knew the offense couldn't score a TD.