Eric Wood is the key

Get by crappily maybe. The tackles are the most important positions on the line. It's not a mistake that the highest-paid linemen are LTs and the second-highest are RTs.

Guards aren't keys to o-lines.

agreed. EW is not the "key" to the O line success. I think too many people on here are overrating him based on his personality.

Eric Wood is the best lineman the bills have drafted since reuben brown. He is a stud and a quiet leader on and off the field, he is no doubt the anchor, he is a big blonde moving tree, a giant angry q-tip, he is mobile and mean, smart and aggressive, a "throwback" some would say. seeing a mans leg break in half on tv is pretty nasty, from what i understand players were vomiting, and was never replayed on cbs, but seeing a still shot of wood standing up, propped on the shoulders of his teammates, astonishing to me. Players ride golf carts for pulled muscles in the nfl, meanwhile this player stands up with that injury, thats speaks volumes to the charactor and mental strength of the man. reminds me a little of speilman

He is my favorite player and I want his jersey. Leave it to the NFL not to sell a 1st round picks jersey.

Success or failure should never hinge on one player but the health of Eric Wood will be an important variable in the offensive equation for the upcoming season. Never have the critics fed upon the Bills like they have during this offseason and besides the position of quarterback there has been no other position which has met with the criticism like the o line. It is not as though there is not some justification, but the same questions were being asked last year but most especially before the first NE game and our Bills line held their own against the Pats in a game we all know we should have won.

Hangartner is ok and can hold his own against Wilfork and Jenkins and Levitre was fine and actually improved during the season. Wood was getting better every week and looked to become dominating. He can solidify the middle and provide a push. If he is healthy and can stay healthy a mediocre offensive line can become a non-factor which is neither good or bad but it will at least not be the reason for wins or losses which most Bills fans would gladly take.

Nah, I don't think so.

I agree with those who make the case that wood MIGHT become critical to success if they moved him to center. However, i think on the face of it a Wood return to normalcy is certainly possible thanks to diligence and character on his part and good work from the surgeons. However, I think on the face of it, Hamgartner having an excellent years in terms of the variables of:

1. Recognizing odd blitzes and making good line calls, and

2. Building a rapport with whomever gets the QB starter job

are far more central to the fate of the Bills than simply how Wood does in the G role.

In fact, due to the zone blitz role across the league and the odd blitz packages, while the interior line like the Gs and cs are fundamental to the run game working, its the tackles who are the critical element (and even bigger question marks than the Gs in the fate of the OL.

If Wood goes down and we have to turn to Chambers it is regrettable but the season ain't over. However, if neither Bell nor Meredith come through we are likely cooked.

Wood is a great story but unless he moves to C he ain't the key variable in this dance.

Success or failure should never hinge on one player but the health of Eric Wood will be an important variable in the offensive equation for the upcoming season. Never have the critics fed upon the Bills like they have during this offseason and besides the position of quarterback there has been no other position which has met with the criticism like the o line. It is not as though there is not some justification, but the same questions were being asked last year but most especially before the first NE game and our Bills line held their own against the Pats in a game we all know we should have won.

Hangartner is ok and can hold his own against Wilfork and Jenkins and Levitre was fine and actually improved during the season. Wood was getting better every week and looked to become dominating. He can solidify the middle and provide a push. If he is healthy and can stay healthy a mediocre offensive line can become a non-factor which is neither good or bad but it will at least not be the reason for wins or losses which most Bills fans would gladly take.

Seldom does a right guard dictate your ability to win. I agree that he is important but not more so than any other O-Line position. I think that the success or failure of either Bell or Merideth will more accurately predict our teams wins and losses. The blind-side tackle is probably more important than our RG, especially since we are strongest up the middle versus our tackles and ends.

Seldom does a right guard dictate your ability to win. I agree that he is important but not more so than any other O-Line position. I think that the success or failure of either Bell or Merideth will more accurately predict our teams wins and losses. The blind-side tackle is probably more important than our RG, especially since we are strongest up the middle versus our tackles and ends.

I need to admit in my response to you that I have neither seen the movie or read the book "The Blind Side" but the concept is obvious and simple. However, I don't agree with it at all. Any defensive coordinator worth a darn will hit the weakest part of the offensive line with a run or pass blitz whether the player is a c, a g or a t. In fact, I would argue that with more teams going to the 3-4 defense, the guard and center are more valuable than before because their speed and quickness to get to the linebacker level on runs becomes key and blitzes come just as much up the middle as they do from the outside although I will say that the potential for an injury may be greater certainly from the blind side than from another. Don't make a strength a weakness because it may be more important. If we had a weakness at corner which could be argued is more important than safety, I wouldn't move Byrd over there. I would maintain my strength in an area. Same thing with Wood.

I am not disagreeing as much offering a consideration.

I need to admit in my response to you that I have neither seen the movie or read the book "The Blind Side" but the concept is obvious and simple. However, I don't agree with it at all. Any defensive coordinator worth a darn will hit the weakest part of the offensive line with a run or pass blitz whether the player is a c, a g or a t. In fact, I would argue that with more teams going to the 3-4 defense, the guard and center are more valuable than before because their speed and quickness to get to the linebacker level on runs becomes key and blitzes come just as much up the middle as they do from the outside although I will say that the potential for an injury may be greater certainly from the blind side than from another. Don't make a strength a weakness because it may be more important. If we had a weakness at corner which could be argued is more important than safety, I wouldn't move Byrd over there. I would maintain my strength in an area. Same thing with Wood.

However, the point of logic here based the assumption you correctly state is that a good dc will attack the point of weakness. The question of what will be the effect of the failure of a particular player on the fate of the team actually is measured most by how well will he be replaced.

Application of logic is the factor which actually devalues the import of a guard failure as if any interior blocker has a weakness there is a player to both his left and his right who must and will compensate for him. If the RT has a deficit then it is true that the TE too his side will pick up for him (though if there is this need for max protect it harms the O receiving game. Failure by the LT is an even bigger issue as beside the guard to his inside there is nobody to help out on the wing and this is why often the best pass rusher on the DL is rushing to his outside. On the face of it logic tells one it is quite unlikely that the play of a guard is gonna determine the fate of even the OL much less the team.

If one goes beyond paltry logic and looks at the actual case this reinforces the notion that Wood's fate does not determine the fate of the team.

The Bills are weak for OL starters so its pretty bad options for all the plan Bs. However, if Wood does not recover, I actually am a lot less worried about back-up Chambers at the guard spot than I am about Meredith as the back-up to Bell at LT. Chambers had clear deficits at the generally more difficult tackle slot but at least he has an NFL start to his credit at Guard.

I think Wood is a great guy and it has always been my hope that he would become our answer at C, but we need to see him move to C before our hopes and dreams fall on his shoulders.

The blind side reference refers to the LT, not a movie. I still think that comparitively speaking Bells' success is more important than Woods' in predicting wins-losses. Your preaching to the choir when talking x's and o's with me. Rg is protected by RT-C-RB on pass plays. LT is on an island unless we max protect. So again I state my opinion that Wood is not the most important OLman on this team.

Not really. Bad tackles = bad offensive line.

And if you are hoping for Wood to be a difference maker after that injury, you are in for a seriously disappointing season.

Please, Dr. SouthGeorgiaBillsFan, tell us what to expect from Eric Wood this season.

Not really. Bad tackles = bad offensive line.

And if you are hoping for Wood to be a difference maker after that injury, you are in for a seriously disappointing season.

Wood will be fine.