Eric Wood is the key

Success or failure should never hinge on one player but the health of Eric Wood will be an important variable in the offensive equation for the upcoming season. Never have the critics fed upon the Bills like they have during this offseason and besides the position of quarterback there has been no other position which has met with the criticism like the o line. It is not as though there is not some justification, but the same questions were being asked last year but most especially before the first NE game and our Bills line held their own against the Pats in a game we all know we should have won.

Hangartner is ok and can hold his own against Wilfork and Jenkins and Levitre was fine and actually improved during the season. Wood was getting better every week and looked to become dominating. He can solidify the middle and provide a push. If he is healthy and can stay healthy a mediocre offensive line can become a non-factor which is neither good or bad but it will at least not be the reason for wins or losses which most Bills fans would gladly take.

Guest dog14787
Success or failure should never hinge on one player but the health of Eric Wood will be an important variable in the offensive equation for the upcoming season. Never have the critics fed upon the Bills like they have during this offseason and besides the position of quarterback there has been no other position which has met with the criticism like the o line. It is not as though there is not some justification, but the same questions were being asked last year but most especially before the first NE game and our Bills line held their own against the Pats in a game we all know we should have won.

Hangartner is ok and can hold his own against Wilfork and Jenkins and Levitre was fine and actually improved during the season. Wood was getting better every week and looked to become dominating. He can solidify the middle and provide a push. If he is healthy and can stay healthy a mediocre offensive line can become a non-factor which is neither good or bad but it will at least not be the reason for wins or losses which most Bills fans would gladly take.

Someone on the O-line has to be the anchor that solidifies the line, I agree, he is our anchor/fulcrum,

Success or failure of the offense does hinge in part on the health and development of Eric Wood.

Eric Wood is the best lineman the bills have drafted since reuben brown. He is a stud and a quiet leader on and off the field, he is no doubt the anchor, he is a big blonde moving tree, a giant angry q-tip, he is mobile and mean, smart and aggressive, a "throwback" some would say. seeing a mans leg break in half on tv is pretty nasty, from what i understand players were vomiting, and was never replayed on cbs, but seeing a still shot of wood standing up, propped on the shoulders of his teammates, astonishing to me. Players ride golf carts for pulled muscles in the nfl, meanwhile this player stands up with that injury, thats speaks volumes to the charactor and mental strength of the man. reminds me a little of speilman

I just dont want to hinge our success on a player that went down with an injury like that such a short time ago....

I love Eric Wood....he is my kind of player.....and I as much as anyone else hope he comes back and dominates. But I would not count on that this next year.

The bills season is going to hinge on just how much production Chan Gailey can get out of this offense as a whole.......and it starts with having an unpredictable offense for the first time in a while.

I agree, I think you have two strong, likely to become above average guards, maybe even top 10 within 2 seasons. You have a center who can hold his own and I'll give Nix the benefit of the doubt in the right tackle he signed. Likely he will be serviceable and do OK. That leaves LT. Hopefully between Wang, Bell, and Meredith, one of them can prove to be better than average. It may be Wang, but not likely this year. Meredith seems better suited for the right side but may be OK on the left. If the tight end position also improves at blocking, another potential improvement there too. While LT is typically the most important spot on the line, if your other 4 spots all produce above average results, you can live with one position a bit weaker than you'd like.

I just dont want to hinge our success on a player that went down with an injury like that such a short time ago....

I love Eric Wood....he is my kind of player.....and I as much as anyone else hope he comes back and dominates. But I would not count on that this next year.

The bills season is going to hinge on just how much production Chan Gailey can get out of this offense as a whole.......and it starts with having an unpredictable offense for the first time in a while.

Good point. Having second rate offensive tackles is a non-factor when rating an offensive line.

I don't think a guard is the "key" to the bills offensive line. The nature of the beast is that you have to have five (or in the likely of injuries, the need for a long-snapper and just plain exhaustion, seven or eight offensive linemen. Wood is good...if he's recovered. Levitre and Hamgartner are okay...after that we've got a lick and a promise.

Anyone reading this ever break their tibia and fibula? I did and it is a long recovery, granted he has the best medical and physical people available and youth is on his side.. However I was asked by a Doctor; "Do you know what the treatment for a second broken tibia is?.. Amputation!" I hope he comes back 100% and is a dominating monster on the offensive line... Because the alternative is not so great...

When you have two solid guards and a decent center, you can get by with serviceable tackles depending on your offensive scheme.

Depends on your take on the word "serviceable." Ours are painfully bad but if you are talking about being merely decent, that seldom helps on 3rd and long.

There was one article I read that stated that Levitre if left at guard could be one of the best in football, that sounded much better than just "OK"

That was kind of the core of the article, dismissing the idea of moving him to tackle as if left at guard could be great.

Levitre and Hamgartner are okay...after that we've got a lick and a promise.

When you have two solid guards and a decent center, you can get by with serviceable tackles depending on your offensive scheme.

as long as that scheme does not intend to throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field

sounds like it fits Trent to a T

I agree that Eric Wood is the key to this offensive line, but for a different reason: I think he should replace Hangartner at center from day one of training camp later this week, and he should remain the Bills center for the next decade or so. Anybody remember Kent Hull out here?? Wood is a natural center, and has the toughness and smarts to excell as the leader of his line. Hangartner is a little better then a journeyman, and I don't believe is strong enough to "hold his own" against the likes of Wilfork and Jenkins! Let's not forget that Chan wants a great running game to set up his attacking passing game.

I agree that Eric Wood is the key to this offensive line, but for a different reason: I think he should replace Hangartner at center from day one of training camp later this week, and he should remain the Bills center for the next decade or so. Anybody remember Kent Hull out here?? Wood is a natural center, and has the toughness and smarts to excell as the leader of his line. Hangartner is a little better then a journeyman, and I don't believe is strong enough to "hold his own" against the likes of Wilfork and Jenkins! Let's not forget that Chan wants a great running game to set up his attacking passing game.

Great post! Put Wood back at center.

I think Wood will move to center if Kyle Calloway or someone else on the roster can prove to be a good RG. That won't happen this year but maybe next.

I'm sure the Bills planned on having him play OG his rookie year and then move him to center in his 2nd, but the injury probably pushed back the timetable. Now they might put him there sooner, seeing as how they had him work there some in OTA's, but I wouldn't expect it. All I'm hoping for is improvement from him and Levitre at OG, which in turn will help Hangman, that Green can cut down on the penalties, and that Meredith can be at least a serviceable LT.

I think you're kidding yourself about the effect a healthy Wood would have on this line, but it's really important that he get healthy pretty soon and stay that way. We need to have the interior of the line working together, and we need Wood and Levitre to get seasoning.

I don't see us having a line that is good enough to be a non-factor till next year (assuming good drafting and good development) and don't see them becoming good till 2012 or so. But that 2012 line will be based on Wood growing and learning over the next two years or so.

Get by crappily maybe. The tackles are the most important positions on the line. It's not a mistake that the highest-paid linemen are LTs and the second-highest are RTs.

Guards aren't keys to o-lines.

Anyone reading this ever break their tibia and fibula? I did and it is a long recovery, granted he has the best medical and physical people available and youth is on his side.. However I was asked by a Doctor; "Do you know what the treatment for a second broken tibia is?.. Amputation!" I hope he comes back 100% and is a dominating monster on the offensive line... Because the alternative is not so great...

That doctor sounds like a quack, or at least one that doens't want to reschedule his golf game. Amputation for a 2nd broken tibia? Just a little extreme, doncha think?

Look, I'm not an Orthopoedic doctor, but I have played both Milton Bradley and Hasbro versions of Operation, and I'm telling you, we'd never saw off Cavity Sam's limbs for a busted leg.

BTW - anyone here know the status of EW? I know he participated in some light workouts, but is there any talk of full participation in training camp or preseason contests?

That doctor sounds like a quack, or at least one that doens't want to reschedule his golf game. Amputation for a 2nd broken tibia? Just a little extreme, doncha think?

Look, I'm not an Orthopoedic doctor, but I have played both Milton Bradley and Hasbro versions of Operation, and I'm telling you, we'd never saw off Cavity Sam's limbs for a busted leg.

BTW - anyone here know the status of EW? I know he participated in some light workouts, but is there any talk of full participation in training camp or preseason contests?

I'm sure either Horse or the doctor were joking. And Wood should be full-go.