Official Mad Men Season 4 thread

bbb

I watched the first three seasons on DVD over the winter and spring, and am now caught up.........I've been wanting to participate in one of these official TV threads, but I never watch anything in real time. Now, I will with this.........I'm surprised that nobody has started this thread, so I figured I would do it!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great season premiere. Don has never been portrayed as such an unlikeable, cocky bastard before, at least not professionally.

And, other than possibly Tony Soprano, has any "hero" been more complex? How many shows would have the balls to have their leading man dabbling in S&M, and acting like such an ass... thought Peggy's comment "We're all here because of you..." was terrific. Good to have adult entertainment back, if only for a few months...no dance contests, or vampires allowed!

Finally was able to watch my DVR last night. You're right about Don. It's a departure to see him kick that can and lose his cool a few times in business situations. He's usually so calm and cool then.........And, when the actress left the cab, it was probably the first time we've seen him not get his way sexually, and he looked pissed..........Smart adult entertainment indeed...

very good series. One of the few I make room in my day for. I like the themes that you see developing like the growth and importance of television, and the guy who just seemed to land in the role a few years ago becoming more and more important. His comment about sports advertising as a possible advertising market on television and everyone just glossing over at the possibility was really cool.

That is very cool..........The one thing I was a little disappointed in was that they went from late '63 and the JFK assassination to a year or two later. I've been fascinated about how the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show was only about 9-10 weeks after JFK's assassination. Two societal seismic shifts.........But, they blew right buy it. But, now I'm sure they'll do a good job of capturing sex drugs and rock & roll culture of post Ed Sullivan Beatles.

That is very cool..........The one thing I was a little disappointed in was that they went from late '63 and the JFK assassination to a year or two later. I've been fascinated about how the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show was only about 9-10 weeks after JFK's assassination. Two societal seismic shifts.........But, they blew right buy it. But, now I'm sure they'll do a good job of capturing sex drugs and rock & roll culture of post Ed Sullivan Beatles.

It's summer '64. They mentioned the "Mississippi Burning" lynching of Andrew Goodman.

I'm trying to catch up with the show, but I've only seen a few episodes from the first 3 seasons. I like what I've seen so far. It's really top-notch.

It's summer '64. They mentioned the "Mississippi Burning" lynching of Andrew Goodman.

I'm trying to catch up with the show, but I've only seen a few episodes from the first 3 seasons. I like what I've seen so far. It's really top-notch.

It was Thanksgiving throughout the whole episode, so it's definitely not summer. It wasn't clear on the year, though.

Good episode, glad to have MadMen back. A rough year with the divorce, struggles with the new firm and professional missteps has taken some toll on Don, but a little hint of the old fire at the end.

Great scene between he and Peggy. She has finally grown into her own person and abilities and is no longer afraid of Don, even if she still resents him sometimes.

Based on the references to the Mississippi case and the time since the divorce, it does appear to be late '64.

Good episode, glad to have MadMen back. A rough year with the divorce, struggles with the new firm and professional missteps has taken some toll on Don, but a little hint of the old fire at the end.

Great scene between he and Peggy. She has finally grown into her own person and abilities and is no longer afraid of Don, even if she still resents him sometimes.

Based on the references to the Mississippi case time since the divorce, it does appear to be late '64.

Next weeks episode is a Christmas show, I hear. Christmas in July!!!

I have no doubt that the Beatles will come up, at some point. Too big to ignore...

I really like this show... Roger Sterling is awesome! Jeez, he reminds me so much of an old friend of my father, when I was growing up. Always had a drink in his hand, and very quick witted.

I wonder what the story is with Peggy's "fiance"...

I really like this show... Roger Sterling is awesome! Jeez, he reminds me so much of an old friend of my father, when I was growing up. Always had a drink in his hand, and very quick witted.

Roger is easily my favorite character; he has no conflicts and offers no apologies. He's a cad too, but the complete opposite of Don. Throw in Cooper, who does nothing until he reminds you that he's still the voice that can silence the room ("...and you failed!") and it's a great mix.

Another solid outing for week 2. I can't believe the psycho kid, Glen, from season one, showed up again. There was something very creepy about his and Betty's relationship... and Freddy Rumsun is back!

Laugh of the night: Harry Crane having to sit on Rogers' knee, to appease their bully Lucky Strikes client..."Sorry, sorry, sorry..." :devil: That was too funny!

Another solid outing for week 2. I can't believe the psycho kid, Glen, from season one, showed up again. There was something very creepy about his and Betty's relationship... and Freddy Rumsun is back!

Laugh of the night: Harry Crane having to sit on Rogers' knee, to appease their bully Lucky Strikes client..."Sorry, sorry, sorry..." :D That was too funny!

I never understood that creepy thing going on with Glen and Betty in season one.......Now, I understand it even less!

That Lucky Strike guy is such an ahole!

D'oh! I totally missed that it was that same kid from season one. That's a weird deal; I wonder if Sally put him up to it?

Laugh of the night: Harry Crane having to sit on Rogers' knee, to appease their bully Lucky Strikes client..."Sorry, sorry, sorry..." :D That was too funny!

That and Harry grabbing a big handful of cookies after the psychologist joked that refusing to take one meant you were a psychopath. :D

Harry has always been good for some sublet laughs.

D'oh! I totally missed that it was that same kid from season one. That's a weird deal; I wonder if Sally put him up to it?

I think you're onto something. I didn't think about that. She was pretty mischievous with her grandfather and such.....I bet she left the door open for him or something.

Also, I assume everyone caught that Freddy's 'fraternitiy brother' was a fellow AA member that fell off the wagon -- Roger strikes again!

Admitting addiction in the early 60s wasn't exactly the career saving move it is today.

Also, I assume everyone caught that Freddy's 'fraternitiy brother' was a fellow AA member that fell off the wagon -- Roger strikes again!

Admitting addiction in the early 60s wasn't exactly the career saving move it is today.

Yeah, I sure did catch that. But, since I'm an AAer myself, I'm not sure if everybody would have caught that.........I like how they portray Freddy now - he seems very alive, and doing great in recovery.......Contrasting that with Don, who is showing chinks in his armor, for sure.